Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannabis causing mucus?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Speedymotor, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Ive been smoking everyday for around a year and started smoking around two years ago, so not really a seasoned toker. Im just putting my thread in here because usually the people who are in seasoned tokers are more educated. Anyway, lately ive been noticing that im coughing randomly(not while smoking)a little bit more than i used to an im getting more mucus/spit in my mouth and throat than i used to. It may just be the season (its cold in minnesota) but it could also be the smoking. I smoke out of a glass spoon most of the time and that gives a harsh unfiltered hit so it could also be that. Do you guys think my coughing and stuff will go away if i get a bong/water piece? Any feedback is appreciated, thanks

2. I think you have an inferior immune system.

• Like Like x 1
  3. There has been many studies on smoking marijuana and the side effects. The only negative effect from smoking marijuana that has been proven is the fact it makes you cough w/ increased mucus production.I believe every stoner encounters this at some time or another. If its bothering you it may help to start vaporizing your herbs more often, vapor is alot nicer on the lungs than smoke.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. There are a lot of things that can cause increased amounts of mucus...I noticed a little while ago that I had a similar problem...My increased mucus was caused by too much milk...I used to drink about 2-3 litres a day but now that I have cut back to 1-2 litres it has gone away...

Why don't you make a cheap home made water piece to use for a couple weeks and see if things change...If they do then you should invest in a decent bong or vaporizer...

Daily bong toker...Been smoking for 10 years daily for 5...

5. I recently really fucked up my throat and stuff due to a huge binge of smoking heavily on this one day. I got similar symptoms and it compromised my immune system and I ended up sick as shit for like a week.

I experimented a little bit in the methods I was using to smoke out of my little bubbler, and found that if i puff it into my mouth (like the method you use when you suck on a straw) rather than breathing it straight into my lungs, it gives it a little time to cool off and it won't damage you as much.

Either that or i'm just completely full of shit and don't know what i'm talking about.

6. You're just sick dude, this happens to me all the time, even happened before i started toking. I live in WI, it's the season man.

7. I can relate I've been smoking everyday (at least once a day) for like the past 2 years and every day for awhile now I'll hack up phlegm and mucus when I spit, its knda nasty but I'm used to it which probably isnt a good thing lol I'm guessing it's from daily smoking? but idk

8. When I first started smoking again I would hack up all colors of lung butter. After two weeks of smoking daily it stopped. Either I became immune or I had the beginings of a cold which you may have too.

9. [quote name='"Irishchoctaw"']I recently really fucked up my throat and stuff due to a huge binge of smoking heavily on this one day. I got similar symptoms and it compromised my immune system and I ended up sick as shit for like a week.

I experimented a little bit in the methods I was using to smoke out of my little bubbler, and found that if i puff it into my mouth (like the method you use when you suck on a straw) rather than breathing it straight into my lungs, it gives it a little time to cool off and it won't damage you as much.

Either that or i'm just completely full of shit and don't know what i'm talking about.[/quote]

Yeah man i remember one day i just smoked wayyyy tooo much and burned my throat. Then i was sick the next day and thats when i noticed the mucus/ coughing. That was two weeks ago and im still having the cough and stuff but im not sick

10. #10 glasslover420, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2011
    I've been using bongs heavily almost daily for a long ass time now. I haven't noticed extra mucus, but my lungs are fucked up right now. When I clear the last bit from my pipe and my lungs are full I get this weird pain. It's like I can feel my lung and it feels like I'm inflating a paper bag.

Gonna get a vaporizer with my next paycheck, can barely even hit my Illy right now. You should do the same ;).

Edit - Tobacco is probably half my problem though

11. Get a piece that filters the smoke

I hardly ever cough up phlegm and I smoke a lot

12. [quote name='"GrassCtyCitizen"']You're just sick dude, this happens to me all the time, even happened before i started toking. I live in WI, it's the season man.[/quote]

Yeah i bet its this more than anything else, but smoking alot just makees it a bit worse

13. Depends on how much/how often you smoke but yeah it's due to the weed. Happens to me often in the mornings/afternoon

14. i get the nasal shit from weed/joints. not so much in the throat but the nose and throat thing. you are afterall huffin smoke into yourself

maybe get a vaporizor? Not really a fan of them but some folks like them.

Or take a break and see if it clears up

15. it actually kinda does that for me most times i smoke, its nothing too bad though.
    same thing for my friend also, so no your not alone bud.

16. I completely agree. I have been smoking daily for almost a year now so I don't have a ton of experience but more then the casual user and I have noticed that my mucus production had been higher and almost nonstop for months. Its not too bad, I just think my immune system is fucked up and could be a lot better. I recently just got over the fucking Bird Flu and I am almost positive that weed keeps my immune system compromised.

17. Here's a few little tricks I picked up while smoking since been out in Mi.

1.Choose the right bong.

- The one I prefer to use has two percolators on the middle and bottom section.They are also made of a certain rubbery material that prevents breakage.It stands completely straight,and is relatively tall.This forces you to stand while smoking(I prefer it for breathing excercises)It's also relatively difficult to break due to the slight moisture and pressure from the heat(more on that later)

2.Fill your bong with flavored waters.

- I normally found that hot tea,from water off the kettle to be best.Let cool down to 100% or so before you smoke it.Fair warning - If you are not careful and pour to hot temps in glass bong you run risk of shattering your glass.
    - I used naturally organic tea.Nothing with sugar or fat because THC is soluble.I prefer organic tea with some oranges or lemons.
    - pour 100% tea misture into bong on made and middle level.
    -place a few ice qubes on top.

3.While doing all of this practice smooth breathing exercises with no pot in bong first.Experiment with your lungs.

4. Light preferred (head)?or (tip)? <-- spell check please.

5.I normally prefer quartz banger with strong concentrates.But this works just as well with normal pot too.

6.Keep practicing and enjoy!

18. Also coat your throat with about 2 tsp honey.The lead singer of both Tool and Linkin park have used this method for singing.The thc will stick to the sugar in the honey.Then it will dissolve into deliciousness right in your mouth.When the super moist air will be super easy to pull.

19. OP is 7 years old.

20. Anything about persistent excessive phlegm? My dentist says its related to excessive THC. I read a study that concluded flouride coagulates phlegm, and I figured that with ceased flouride came my free flowing phlegm. But it wont go away, is not colored weird or anything, and it is a daily occurence. I am constantly spitting.