Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

cannabis capsules dosage question

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by travilanche, Jan 2, 2018.

1. I don’t quite see the answer I’m looking for in any of the other threads so I’m just gonna start a new one.

Ok, so my tolerance for this stuff is completely fucked. I smoke 2-3 times a day, probably half a gram each session (but after 4 hits I’m as high as I am gonna get, no matter how much more I smoke). Even if I only smoke once a day I still don’t feel much. And what I do feel wears off in about 30 minutes.

I want to bypass my inability to get high through edibles. If I keep drinking I can keep getting drunker, I just want this stuff to work like that too. And I’ve recently stumbled on a decent quality bulk source. I can get half a zip of top shelf for $150. So no issue there. I also have almost 1/4 pound of not so great quality brick that I need to get rid of too and this seems like a good option.

I’m gonna make capsules and soI’m gonna use the method found here:
    https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/how-to-make-your-own-cannabis-infused-capsules

My question is if I use the brick stuff, and I use 7 grams of it in 1/4 cup of coconut oil and 1/2 teaspoon of soy lechithin like the recipe says, how strong are thes .00 capsules gonna be? I have taken edibles before and got nearly nothing from them. In fact I’ve taken over 400mg at once before, and all it really did was make me a little higher for a little longer when I smoked next. That’s right, I ate 40 chocolate 10 mg candies at once and didn’t feel it. I had a 120 mg bar from a medical place the other night and it didn’t do anything.

So how can I get a rough estimate of how strong these will be, keeping in mind that if they’re stronger and I take a little more than I thought it shouldn’t make a difference. But if I take some and wait an hour, and don’t feel anything and then take more, by the time that kicks in the first round will have been making its way out of my system for an hour and will probably mostly be worn off. So it will ha e been a waste.

Any help here at all would be greatly appreciated.

2. #2 Joker1121, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    If your tolerance is that high I doubt you can get high on edibles without a tolerance break. I followed your link and I know you've read the directions, but I'm going to copy and paste dosing guidelines and talk about them. More importantly check out BrassNWood's thread on how he has made about a million capsules from keif.

"Dosing will depend on 3 variables:

1. Potency of starting material
    2. Ratio of oil to starting material
    3. Decarboxylation
    The easiest and most accurate way to test the strength of your caps is to take them to a lab for testing. If you’re looking for a rough estimate of how strong your caps are, take the potency of your starting material and convert it to milligrams. Once you have this figure, divide it by the net weight of your final yield and shave off 10% or so to account for decarboxylation. This should land you in the ball park of how potent your whole batch will be. Take this figure and divide it once more by the number of capsules you filled and that will leave you will an estimate to work with".
    A good guesstimate for cannabis where the THC % is unknown is 15% for buds, kief would be higher %. Seven grams gives you 7000 mg X 15%= 1, 050 mg in your quarter cup. Then divide that by the number of capsules you make. I highly recommend a tolerance break, or what just worked for me was to decrease the amount I smoked every day. I think with your tolerance you will be disappointed. As you noted you can't chase a high. oh, one more thing. I didn't read the whole recipe. If you grind your cannabis to powder and do not strain it from your oil your caps will be more potent. Straining leaves nearly half the THC in the mash, and decarb is essential (I use 240F for 40 minutes). Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yeah, in Missouri taking to a lab isn’t an option. Occasionally they tell me the percentage of thc when I buy the stuff, but not always.

My tolerance for everything is high. I need 5 platinum beers before I can even feel it kick in. But with alcohol if I keep drinking I can keep getting drunker. So shouldn’t it be the same with cannabis? If I have to take 1000 mg at once I will. I’d just like to know roughly how many pills that would be.

Edit: It’s just weird to me that I do actually still get some buzz from smoking every time, I just haven’t been able to get high from edibles.

4. What happens is your cannabis receptors become full and more smoking/eating cannabis will not help. Alcohol is different. We can actually kill ourselves with alcohol. Alcohol keeps taking brain cells off line until you quit drinking.

5. It also continues to release GABA for as long as you keep drinking it. Same with all drugs that go through the liver. How is cannabis different?

6. Sounds like you know more than me and I don't understand your question. Good luck.

7. 7 grams in a 1/4 cup is weak in my book of oil.
    I do 5 grams of hash to 1 tablespoon of oil.
    A bit more authority then your planed ratio.
    Decarb everything before hand
    240 F for 40 minutes
    5 grams hash-weed-BHO-ABV
    2.5 teaspoons coconut oil
    .5 teaspoon lecithin (any kind)
    heat 220 F for 20 min
    Freeze
    Heat 220 For 20
    Done
    Make about 30 (0) sized caps-doses
    [​IMG]
    24,000 of them made and consumed so far.
    :)
    BNW

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. #8 mook2420, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    I concur with the above fine gents, get that extra potency squeezed in there by making hash out of your materials you have mega amounts of it. It is really easy if you have a source for dry ice but hell I hear some use quarters (3 USD) in order to shake hash that can be immediately pressed.

Using hash that was around 35% THC tested at a lab in DC, I ended up using 7 grams per batch, following BnWoods recipe otherwise and used 0 sized caps and they tested at almost exactly 50mg THC per cap, I'd imagine that the 00 ones would be close to 75 to 100 or more depending on those other factors. You may need to hit it from all angles to get what you are looking for. I'd easily take 4 or 5 of the super strong hash caps and as long as it isn't twice a day everyday the results are what I like. Also, remember your dispensary grade edibles, the chocos and bars, I doubt they are actually what is advertised most of the time, your meds you make have the capacity to be exactly what you have searched for and not found!

Edit*

So you'd need to maybe take like 4 to 6 capsules I would reckon, you would want it to maybe work out to more than 150mg per edible dose. Then when you smoke or vape or add something additionally that entourage effect levels it out for you.

Being a heavy smoker myself and also being in immense physical pain, it still has been possible to get by on most days and to get off when needed with just capsules and tinctures. If you smoke a half gram to a gram per sitting but still cannot hit the mark try your own edibles, not the pre made food stuff and try more than a grams worth, you will not be disappointed.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Very helpful post. You might be right. Maybe I should make hash out of the brick stuff first. But I got some old shake of top shelf stuff too that I will probably just decarb and make it into capsules, since I don’t have quite so much of that. So eat about a gram of flower equivalent in capsule form?

Hopefully I get it right. I just need to find soy lecithin. Harder than I thought it would be.

• Like Like x 1
  10. One gram of top self, we'll underestimate, at 15% THC. 1000X 15%= 150 mg. That's if you eat the cannabis and don't strain it out. A gram of top shelf could be a good dose for an experienced toker, but someone else may be incapacitated from 150 mg. If your top shelf has higher THC it would be a bigger dose.

• Like Like x 1

11. Yeah, 15 percent is usually right around where it sits.

12. Just thought I’d update. I made my first round of capsules a few days ago. I used 7 grams in a shot glass full of coconut oil. I ended up with 49 capsules (size 0). I estimate them roughly at 20-25 mg. Per pill. My guinea pig I used to try the capsules out said the 2 pills he took felt like right around when he takes 60 mg. Had 2 trustworthy friends try them out and they both confirmed they were legit. So I decided to take the advice given and took 8 pills which is about a grams worth. After an hour I couldn’t really feel anything so I smoked, and that sort of kicked it in. Was definitely a bit higher and for considerably longer too. But it still didn’t feel that strong.

So the next day I took 20. After an hour I still honestly couldn’t feel much so I decided to smoke, and it was the same thing as the day before, except the effects were carried out for a lot longer. After 4 hours my wife told me my eyes were still kinda fucked up. And even though I didn’t really feel high at that point I felt pretty relaxed and chill as fuck. So I think it works for me. But I still need a lot more. 20 pills I estimate around 500 mg. And it still didn’t get me high like the old days. I really don’t know how much of this stuff I have to take to really feel it again. I know Joey Diaz takes 1000 mg at a time and that’s nothing for him. The thought of taking 40+ pills at once is not super appealing.

I decarbed and infused in the oven for an hour on each step. Kept a thermometer in the oven to monitor temp the whole time but it’s hard to maintain temperature. It kept spiking over 250 so I would have to turn it down and it would drop below 200, and I kept doing that. And my friends said it worked well, but I’m wondering if I didn’t get it completely right the first time because of that.

I just took the last 9 half an hour ago so we’ll see if that does anything for me. It’s been 12 hours since my last smoke so I’m hoping tolerance has dropped a bit. I’m gonna try to wait longer than an hour to smoke to see if it just kicks in on its own. But I havee doubts.

I’ll keep you guys updated. Next I’m gonna try to make some wax capsules as soon as I figure out how to do that. I got a couple grams lying around.

I just don’t know how much of this shit I have to take to actually get high again. And I’m worried it won’t work no matter how much I take. Im worried either my liver doesn’t process the stuff right or I damaged my receptors back in the unmentionable substitute days. Not sure if that’s possible but it’s a fear I have.

13. @travilanche
    Decarb first (240 F for 40 minutes) anything to be eaten or drunk
    5 grams hash-weed-BHO-ABV-distillate
    2.5 teaspoons Coconut oil
    .5 teaspoon lecithin
    heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes.
    Done
    Makes 30 (0) caps.
    ---------------------------
    One should do the trick. After years on the stuff non stop I'm still at about 7 at a time 2 or 3 times a day.
    If I'm in extreme pain 10 at once but I'll be hammered to hell and gone for 8 full hours and right at the edge of the spins and puking.
    I make this from bud with 160 micron dry ice kief and I can't make it any stronger. It's as good as it gets from back yard production methods.
    3 rounds of diverticulitis surgery removed most of my Colon and left me a mess of scar tissue and the Cannabis oil is all that keeps me functional.
    [​IMG]
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Thank you very much. Very helpful!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ok...another question. Would a convection oven cook at a more steady and consistent temperature than a regular oven? Getting steady temperature is so hard In a regular oven.

16. [​IMG]
    My toaster oven is convection (just means it's got a little fan to blow air around a bit) and it's very stable temp wise. I'd just popped the right hand thermometer in so it's reading low. The 2 meters read within 5 degs so that's close enough for me.
    BNW