Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannabis "can Help Ms Patients"

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by RMJL, Jul 17, 2004.

1. CANNABIS "CAN HELP MS PATIENTS"
    (Source:Manchester Evening News)

15 Jul 2004

United Kingdom
    -------
    CANNABIS can help reduce pain in patients with multiple sclerosis ( MS ), a new study of its health benefits showed today.

Various clinical trials have been looking into the potential use of cannabinoids - extracts of cannabis - in drugs to help patients with painful, debilitating conditions such as MS.

But opinion is divided over whether they offer any real benefit to patients, despite some MS sufferers risking criminal charges to buy the class C drug in the belief that it helps ease their symptoms.

The latest study among 24 patients in Denmark used the cannabis extract dronabinol to test its effect on pain relief.

The participants were given dronabinol capsules or identical-looking placebo pills for three weeks, after which they were asked to rate their levels of pain.

They found that pain intensity was significantly lower and pain relief was higher during treatment with the cannabis extract.

Quality

The researchers, from Aarhus University Hospital, also found that pressure-evoked pain also tended to decrease and patients reported a better quality of life when on dronabinol.

There were some side-effects with the cannabis treatment - including dizziness and headache - during the first week of treatment, but these decreased as the trial went on.

The researchers said: "Dronabinol has a modest but clear and clinically relevant analgesic effect in multiple sclerosis patients with central pain."

They added: "Dronabinol should be available for patients whose central pain is not sufficiently treated with alternative drugs such as anti-convulsants, anti-depressants or opioids."

Last year a large UK study of more than 600 people concluded that cannabis-based medicines may be of benefit to some MS sufferers.

Bu the researchers said they had found no objective proof that the drug actually reduced muscle stiffness in the arms and legs of MS patients.

Relief

Patients taking part in the trial did report some relief from pain, spasms and improved sleep.

The Multiple Sclerosis Society said there was evidence that those who might benefit from the drug should be able to have treatment provided on the NHS.

The Department of Health has said that if cannabis medicines were scientifically demonstrated to have benefits, the Government would be willing to amend the misuse of drugs controls to allow it to be prescribed.

But they said it would be premature to take that step before the quality, safety and efficacy of cannabinoids had been fully established.

The National Institute for Clinical Excellence is looking into the clinical and cost-effectiveness of cannabinoid-based products for the management of MS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MAP posted-by: Richard Lake
    Pubdate: Thu, 15 Jul 2004
    Source: Manchester Evening News (UK)
    Copyright: 2004 Manchester Evening News
    Details: http://www.mapinc.org/media/1313

http://www.mapinc.org/norml/v04/n1012/a11.htm?134

2. Keep me updated man, a good friend of mine has MS and he has already realized the benefits of the herb but lives in fear for his possesion! I'm strongly trying to do my part and make his life easier but my voice isn't enough, do you know any links to medical marijuana legalization particarlly for MS?

Stoned..

3. I have just spent 2 weeks on Holiday in Turkey where I didn't use cannabis. I spent most of the time on a walking stick. I have been back four days and smoked cannabis three nights.
    I haven't used my stick since I got home. Cannabis makes me feel better the next day.