Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cancer and Cannabis

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by dcjamesbond, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Okay, so I'm sure everybody is familiar with the fact that Marijuana has the ability to kill and reverse cancerous cells in the body. Well I was thinking that maybe there isn't even anti-cancer properties in the marijuana, it's just how much the marijuana relaxes you and puts you in the easy-going state of mind that eliminates all stress that kills the cancer. The brain is a powerful tool, and you can do virtually anything as long as you literally, use your head. What do you guys think?

2. Being in the right mindset is a huge part to fighting back an illness, but to claim that it's the cure for cancer is absurd.

No offense, but stoner thoughts like these are nothing but spam and IMO do nothing but hurt any public opinion regarding marijuana.

3. the publics opinion on marijuana is absurd enough as it is, i think the op hit the nail on the head, marijuana does help to cure cancer in more than 1 way.

4. Fine sir, marijuana has been proven to cure cancer, multiple times. If you don't believe me google or youtube "Rick Simpson"

5. #5 sbrown, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2010
    Individual cases do not prove that cannabis cures cancer. Some researchers believe that it might assist in reversing the growth of tumors, but no respectable researcher or M.D. believes that it's a cure for cancer. It isn't. It's not a cure-all medicine regardless of how much you like using it. That's on par with natives from rural China thinking that they can cure their ailments with natural herbs instead of Western medicine. I know someone just like that. There was something wrong with her aorta (aortic coarctation I think). Her doctor in China had her on purely natural herbs that many Chinese people use; no pills, IV, IM or anything from western society. Well, she ended up close to death, coming to Johns Hopkins for a series of corrective surgeries. That basically saved her life.

Think about it. If cannabis actually cured cancer, why would all these terminal patients put themselves through extremely unpleasant chemotherapy, radiation, or surgeries as treatment? Do you really think that the major pharmaceuticals wouldn't jump on this faster than a hungry fox on a chicken? They'd have lobbied the government to legalize pharmaceutical cannabis with unbelievable force.

6. The reason that all these terminally ill patients put themselves through shit is because they don't know it exists. Furthermore, they would rather listen to doctors rather pot advocates. Society has been molded into the shape of marijuana haters. Anybody who doesn't smoke it, is either very against it, or doesn't really care to know anything about it. There's no way to regulate it pharaceutically and pills become addicting therefore drawing the user in for more pills, generating more cash flow for those industries. I personally believe that marijuana can help with any problem you have, used in the right context.

7. Interesting. So all these doctors and all these patients don't know what you know. You and all other smokers who believe in it essentially have a cure for cancer. Is that right? And all the big pharma companies have no interest in harnessing the cure for cancer? Do you realize how much money the pharma company that sold the cure for cancer would make? I don't think you do. Billions. They would make billions. That's plenty of incentive for them to do everything they can to patent this cure for cancer that can be grown. So why haven't they? Because it doesn't cure cancer. Did you know they already produce THC pills called Marinol? That doesn't cure cancer. THC doesn't cure cancer. No cannabinoid cures cancer.

If you ever have cancer, which I hope you don't, please don't rely on marijuana and see an oncologist. Trust me.

8. #8 dcjamesbond, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2010
    Maybe a little thing called the law is what is stopping them. I know about synthetic THC too, but they only use that for pain relief and such. Okay dude, I know some part of the plant has to, or the effect it has on a person does, because there's evidence. If marijuana was legal, all of the big monopolies would get buttfucked hard for money. That probably has something to do with it. Like if everyone realized it cured cancer, hm what else can it do? Just about everything, you can make just about anything from it, and it is waay safer than any other drug out there. Plus do you realize how much money pharmaceutical companies make anyway from people HAVING cancer? All the pain relief and shit. Plus the hospital bills, the radiation therapy, etc. They can't control weed anyway, its everywhere and they would have no way of patenting it because it's a plant that's very readily accessible. Why are you so against the possibility that it could have anti-cancerous properties anyway?

9. I don't believe he is saying to you that it doesen't have anti-cancerous properties. You don't honestly believe that Marijuana is a cure for cancer? Sure helps the patient with what they go through but the reasons you listed and not relevant to why Marijuana isn't 100% in medical community.

sbrown brings up good points..

10. Yeah I have heard theories that marijuana can retard the growth of a/o kill cells that cause cancer. I don't think it's safe to say that it can actually cure cancer. If that was so, medicinal marijuana would be legal in all 50 states without question.

11. no i do think he means marijuana cures cancer... and high blood pressure, and diabetes, and hepatitis, and parkinsons disease, etc etc etc etc etc... yes of course there have been no large scale studies... BECAUSE IT IS A SCHEDULE 1 DRUG WHICH ALLOWS NO RESEARCH TO BE DONE ON THE DRUG...

specifically Rick Simpson in Canada.. when he first discovered this he took this information to the doctor, the receptionist turned him down... he took it to every hospital every doctor, to the politicians to health canada.. they all wanted nothing to do with him..

the OP is right, no one will give this a chance because it is just marijuana.. if we took marijuana out of the equation.. and said

"water HAS BEEN SHOWN to slow the growth of cancer and possibly cure cancer completely..." do you think people would accept more research or would they call it bullshit and go on with their life...

people have spent thousands, 10's of thousands of their own money, literally giving away this medicine free of charge, traveling around speaking trying to push for exactly what we're arguing about MORE RESEARCH. it is not jut OP that believes this, he believes this along with me and multitudes of other people...

we are not simply talking about smoking marijuana we are talking about an OIL called hemp oil( hash oil)..

and yes pharmaceutical companies already make billions of dollars..

12. #12 sbrown, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2010
    Like I said, I believe it's possible that it can slow the growth of tumors. Let's say someone you know has a very detrimental kind of cancer; let's say pancreatic cancer. Do you honestly believe that if that person used only marijuana (no chemo, no radiation, no prescription medicine) they would actually rid themselves of cancer? They wouldn't. They would die a very, very painful death. It isn't honest or helpful to try to convince people that weed is the cure for cancer when there haven't been extensive studies done on the subject. That's dangerous to do so. And anecdotal evidence doesn't prove anything. I'm talking about the scientific method, studies, and actual research. My brother-in-law is an oncologist. He also uses cannabis occasionally. If even the possibility to cure someone's cancer using weed existed, I know for a fact he would have at least prescribed them Marinol or written a medical marijuana recommendation. So why doesn't he? Because he has enough sense to not fall victim to the stoner mentality that weed cures every disease imaginable. Marinol (THC) definitely has its uses. Curing cancer is not of them.

As far as the law goes, doctors in many states can already write recommendations for their patients. If weed truly did cure cancer, many of its victims would be out there getting those rec's, using marijuana, and curing themselves. That shit would be making the headlines every day. You act like cancer is not that big of a deal. "Oh dude, weed cures cancer man. Everyone knows that." Cancer is a huge fucking deal, man. Three of my grandparents died from it. One of my best friends had a testicle removed due to testicular cancer. Guess what? He smoked weed everyday. Is he unlucky? Is he some sort of anomaly? If he hadn't undergone chemo and surgery, he'd be fucking dead. That's a fact. And there was no way in hell I would have advised him to forgo chemotherapy and surgery in place of smoking marijuana. No sane human being with an ounce of compassion would do that.

People like you who spread misinformation about weed being the cure for cancer aren't just irresponsible, they're dangerous. Somebody with cancer might listen to you one day and die from the consequences.

I'm not even going to respond to that. That assumption is so insane and unfounded that it seems like you're almost joking.

That proves my point. If none of these such studies have been done, why do you believe that it's a cure for cancer? Some guy's personal story? Sorry, I based my beliefs on science; not faith, not magic, and certainly not someone's anecdotal stories.

13. Lay off the assumptions.

14. #14 dcjamesbond, Aug 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2010
    There have most very likely already been cure's for cancer anyway, just google "cure for cancer" i'll bet lots of cases come up. There's virtually no way to get funding for cancer, you can only get funding on research that's already been done. The Cancer Ass. won't let anybody research anything they already have "allegedly" researched. Even if you do happen to stumble along something that could have even the slightest potential, it's almost like the Ass. is blind to it. And if they don't take you seriously, nobody would want to put their career on the line to try and spread awareness.

Take a look at this article. http://www.naturalnews.com/007211.html

15. Way to completely disregard my post. I think I'm done here anyway. I'll leave you alone to your conspiracy theories.

16. I don't think it can cure cancer. I have read a few studies that show it slows the growth of tumors. It does cure the stress in my life though :smoking:

17. Exactly.

18. I didnt bother reading much of the other posts, but I do think that a mind that is high from weed, is much better suited to deal with cancer rather than a sober mind. The depression caused from getting the initial diagnosis produces physical symptoms in patients.....I dont see why its so absurd to think that weed wouldnt help, in a physical way. It simply does because of the elevated mindset, and the fact that weed takes off a lot of stress off our body by making us forget things easier. Its nearly just as important to forget things as it is to remember things.

Sure, it hasnt been "proven", and no one with any credibility in the medical field will say that its a "cure", but that doesnt rule out that it cant help.

19. By that token, any substance that helps depression or helps us to forget things easier helps cure cancer; opiates, alcohol, SSRI's, benzo's. I don't subscribe to the belief that the mindset is that influential in altering a disease like cancer. Sure, stress can be bad for you in a limited amount. But if someone is already a host to cancer cells, it doesn't matter how upbeat or stress-free they are. Happiness will not rid them of those cancerous cells. No amount of happiness will do that. Sometimes, like in the case of cancer, medical treatment is required. By medical treatment, I don't mean cannabis, meditation, or herbs. I mean medical tools that have been proven effective (scientifically) in the fight against cancer; chemo, radiation, gene therapy, and surgery are among some of them.

20. #20 dcjamesbond, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2010
    Look dude, man you have to smoke it in higher quanties. Like it takes a month-3 months of cure by smoking hemp oil which is uberrr potent man. It take's a lot of weed to do it and time ,,Weed also speeds up the recovery process of wounds and injuries when applied topically :hello: