Can you prove God exists?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by meddlehaze, Aug 4, 2011.

1. There was this guy on the internet who was a christian, forget what his page is called, but he talks about his growing up in the church, royal rangers, being filled with the holy spirit, etc.

Later he started to lose faith and discovered that when he prayed to a jug of milk, things were just as likely, or not likely to happen as when he prayed to God.

My question is: Why do the spirituality forums focus primarily on arguing whether god is real or not? Shouldn't the goal of someone who's religious be to convert other people? Is one's time not spent better doing something productive rather than arguing or debating something that no other human has been able to prove or disprove since man first realized something might have created him? And don't atheists realize the argument is futile?

I have a dream (lol), that one day, spirituality forums are a positive entity on grasscity and that people make discussions that aren't copies of 50 billion other "prove it's true, or prove it's not true" pointless threads......but alas, there can be no peace with or without religion apparently.

2. Do you own a mirror DirtySix? If so, you should probably right "hypocrite" on it somewhere..

Pokesmot: spiritualists don't start the arguments... Atheists just troll the spiritual threads.

3. Just quoting this again to make a point:

Well, you're new here. All I'm seeing is you telling people they're close minded idiots and what they believe in and don't. I believe that your perceived rudeness may be as of a result of how you respond to others.

4. What a clever way to say nothing at all!

Respond like an adult and I'll treat you like one.

5. That's bullshit, too. I've started threads in S&N and had half the creationist goons from S&P troll it.

6. Ok well 1. if you actually read the first quote you put in context, you would clearly see i was referring to people who mock others beliefs with the spaghetti monster line, not anyone who actually believed that.

and 2. I'm not new here, i made a new account on GC this year, i've been around quite longer than you in fact.

7. So who are you to decide who really does or not when they say it?

Said with no way to prove it. Anyway, the context was for S&P.

8. I've literally never seen this in any thread either of these forums, I've only seen Atheists troll religious threads, and not all atheists, just the ones that can't seem to get over the fact that THEY MIGHT BE WRONG

9. Troll how? By being rude and narcassistic? Maybe they input there opinions.. but I hardly ever see them being rude. Calling someone ignorant is just an attempt to make the person realise they shouldn't say someone is wrong when there belief has as much merit to it as yours. Now please go praise your spaghetti monster and leave the conversation to adults that arent here to antagonise the spiritualists.

10. I'd link you to my quasar thread but you wouldn't read it anyway. Point is, just because you haven't seen it does not mean it hasn't happened.

11. You are now literally not even making a valid argument, it was clear that the spaghetti monster line was not used seriously, your just being difficult now because you realized that you were wrong.

12. Clearly there was no argument. I asked you a question.

13. :laughing:

I believe in Holy Santa. Please do not disrespect my beliefs again.

14. What makes you think i wouldn't read it? shit link it Quasars are an interesting subject and i'll probably end up backing you up if people are being douchebags.

I'm dead serious when i say that i really just don't like people who automatically assume their beliefs are right and push them on others, whether those beliefs are religious or not.

Like religious people who reject evolution and attack anyone who believes in it...like..come on...really.

15. Man... I can't believe I give in everytime. It's pretty pathetic really.. but on who's part?

16. There's no point. It took it one page before creationists came on there screaming about how there's no proof of them even existing and got ran into the ground from that point on. There's no intelligent discussion in it and it's dead because anyone who wanted to participate didn't because it was 7 pages of garbage and very little discussion

17. You can believe it's nutty all you want, but you must expect to encounter someone who believes in this "magic nuttiness" when you enter the Spirituality and Philosophy section. Condemning this belief is absolutely pointless bro

I believe this is because most people pray the "wrong" way. It's not intended to change the outcome of circumstances or get material things. It's to realize what God's will is for your life and have a communicative relationship. I know that when I pray, I am always filled with peace by the fact that I believe God is in control. I can't thwart His plan for my life, just live and experience it.
    I wonder the same thing and that's primarily the reason I posted this thread, I suggest you read it (if you haven't yet) man, you might like it. As a Christian my goal is definitely not to convert people, that will never be my goal. My goal is to share the love of Jesus (in action, speech or the Gospel message) to every person I encounter offline.

I and many others would agree with you. The problem is the human ego. It will go to great lengths to ensure and reinforce it's "correctness" on every facet of belief.

18. Yes I can. And I have. I use mathematical equations and formulas that are so advanced that ordinary people can not even begin to fathom what they mean. It takes years of hard work and dedication to even begin to understand just a smidgen of said equations and formulas. Black Jesus can't even decipher my math skills unless I explain it to him.

[​IMG]

19. Yours since you just get upset when your beliefs are analogous to believing in Unicorns in every single way and just call people who point it out trolls.

It's just funny because you won't admit it. I have dear friends who are creationists who at least accept this fact. Devout Christians, in particular. I respect their beliefs far more than the average creationist because they've obviously graduated to a level of critical thinking some seem to be lacking.

20. Is it similar to Phi, Fibonacci, and fractal geometry? Similar to this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vybaO0bYM0U]‪Spirit Science 10 - Math of God‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]