Can you imagine if an Obama effigy were hung by a noose?

Discussion in 'General' started by bronco, Oct 30, 2008.

1. I didn't put this in the politics section because it really has nothing to do with the candidates politics or opinions. Ok, so I was watching the news the other day and they start with an article on this:

Effigy of Palin Hanging by Noose Is Distasteful, but Not a Hate Crime, Feds Say

[​IMG]

Now I have NO problem with free speech. If you want to display the image of someone hanging by a noose, you should be able to if you want to in the privacy of your own home. What I DO have a problem with, is what if this was reversed? What if it was an Obama mannequin hanging from a noose?

Besides a media firestorm, charges of hate crime, and everyone screaming "RAAAACIST!!!", how else could it be viewed? The fact is, ladies and gentlemen, that free speech is not absolute and never will be. The fact is, ladies and gentlemen, that its OK to show fake displays of violence, as long as they're white. It's a fucked society we live in.

Oh, by the way, during the news report they said that the same thing was happening on the other side of the political fence. What do they cut to, you ask?

A scream mask, tied to a tree, with an Obama/Biden sticker on it. Fucking clearly homeade by the reporter himself. Fucked society we live in.

2. i know what you mean man. here in america its okay to do anything as long as its to a white person. if you even glance at a black person or mexican or asian the wrong way you're being "racist".

3. or jews..then youre anti semetic

4. Free speech means you're entitled to say what you want, and I'm entitled to ridicule it. :D

5. A) No one- liberal or conservative- condones hanging an effigy in anyone's liking. Whoever did this does not represent anyone other then themselves.

B) This DID happen to Obama a month ago. No one posted about it on Grasscity, no one was rioting or screaming RACISM. In fact, the incident went largely ignored except for a few small stories in the media.

C) Free speech works both ways. Both parties exercised their free speech when the chose to hang effigies in their yards. However, if I think that hanging an Obama effigy is racism, then I have every right to exercise MY OWN right to free speech and condemn that person. You are exercising YOUR right to free speech by posting here about how it is all just so unfair. The media exercised their right to free speech by reporting on both cases.

In what part of this story was anyone's right to free speech silenced? Who was censored?

AND, BTW, if you can't recognize the racial differences between hanging an effigy of a white person vs. a black person, then may I suggest a history book.

6. i agree with it, palin sucks cox. but it probably would be a hate crime of some sort. our government is so fucked up and has so many loop holes. i say all GC members make a likeness of john walters "drug czar" and noose him!

7. Me too I dont like Palin one bit, But this shouldnt be allowed. not cool

8. There has been one of obama hanging from a noose with a obama sign on him..

Some supposed KKK guy did it or something.

D.
    :smoke:

9. Controversy!

10. if only it REALLY happened

11. There was a hanging obama somewhere. I dont have the story but it was dressed up as a halloween ghost with an upside down obama sign hanging on its neck.

12. someones an attention whore...