Can you get fired for....?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dankify, Dec 10, 2013.

1. #1 Dankify, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
    Can you get fired for forgetting to tell your employer about a minor medical condition during the interview?

Here's the story: I have minor scoliosis that has not bothered me in a very long time. I recently got a new job and one task in particular is a hard on my back. I told them I can perform that specific task perfectly, but that I'd prefer to be a last resort if no one else was available for it. Rather than be assigned on it very frequently.

So today I get a phone call from HR saying that I need to speak with the Head of HR about it before I can return back to work. I'm really scared because it's not even a big deal and I don't want to be fired for forgetting to tell them. I didn't think about it at the time of the interview cuz you forget it's there when it doesn't bother you for so long.

2. I don't think they would fire you just for not telling them about the medical condition, just be upfront with them about it, I'm sure they will understand.

Good luck.

3. Definitely could be wrong, but I don't think so.  I think that would fall under discrimination.  It probably says in their employment policies that an accommodation will be made for people with special medical/physical needs.  As far as I know, you don't have to tell anybody anything about your medical info.

You're prolly good.

4. Only if it affects your work negatively imo

5. Man I am still freaking out about this. I cant sleep because they already turned it into a way bigger deal than it really was. I really didnt think it was necessary to deny me any further work until I have this meeting.