Can you ever veg too long?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by kennyk11, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Hi,

I have a beginner question.
    Can I veg for 10 weeks?
    Will I simply get much more yield when done?

2. You need to make sure you give enough root volume to allow the plant to grow that long. The plant won't grow only above the surface, it will grow below the surface as well, and if the pot is too small it will get rootbound and the plant will suffer, if it's bad enough for long enough it could kill the plant.

3. absolutely true, I forgot.
    10cm of plant height per Liter of potsize..

4. Another thing, is it really true smaller plants have denser trichomes thus better effect when consumed? If that's the case, growing too big may not be such a good idea.

5. Smaller somehow equals more potent? No.

6. i c. then i should grow as big as possible, seeds aren't free. But then not all plants survive to the harvest. It's always a dilemma to decide how many seeds to start growing.. I really don't want to waste any plants. Any good tips?

7. If you know your seed is a female then you dont need to plant to many....if its ag seed and you have a few I would plant many for fear of killing some off because they are male. you can veg forever if you want but like Toasty said your roots will reach their limit in a small pot. If you cant get a bigger pot you can always trim off a few inches of roots in a root bound pot......thats how mothers are kept. I would trim them at leats once befor you flower if you have pot restrictions. I just veged for 3 moths in a DWC....I dont have a problem with root bound plants.

8. My first indoor grow I vegged on average 49 days, or seven weeks. It was too long in hindsight, because I have not seen significant yield increases with crops that I've vegged for 27 days. Bear in mind I'm starting from clones; I am not considering time for seeding as you must.

I will argue that the difference in my yields between 27 days and 49 days did not offset the cost of electricity to provide an additional 6 to 12 hours of light for those 22 extra days. Also consider that, over time, you will simply have fewer total harvests...2.8 harvests per year instead of 3.1, for example. If you take careful notes of each of your grows over time, you may perhaps discover an optimal vegging time. I don't have enough under my belt to adjust my vegging, but 27 seems very good for now.

The plants also, for my personal application, do not grow so big as to be difficult to manage. I grow in soil pots with a watering can in the back of a shed. I'm moving them around more often than what I've seen recommended here on GrassCity, but that's what I've got...

9. stikyWeedFinger > Even if I knew seeds are fem, I can't predict if they get sick or weak and die. That's why it's difficult. Root trimming, that's something new to me. If you trim plant's root, doesn't that slow down the growth? I guess that's still better than letting it suffocate to death.. But then, can excessive root really kill the plant? I am figuring it only requires you to water them more frequently. Then again if the root has no place to grow, I can imagine it will suffocate. What are the signs of root bound? Quick drying soil? anything else?

Insania > Very interesting, thanks for sharing. 22 days of veg didn't make much difference, I am guessing it depends on strains too? What strain was that?

10. having to many roots wont kill the plant but the root will run out of places to grow and then they wont. that doesnt mean your plant will die, it just means that growth above the ground my slow..... trimming the roots will add some extra stress buy by the time that happens your plant should be big enough to not have to worry about the stress... The last time I trimmed roots was a week before I went into flowering. I wanted to give her a weeks rest before flowering....turned out great