can you clone in water

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by sticky icky bud, Dec 9, 2009.

1. can i just take clippings of a plant and just leave the bottom of the plant in water? will it grow roots?

2. you can but the success rate is low , Im actually trying it right now, so far it seems like its working, the leaves aren't wilted, just have to wait for roots to grow. so far i don't have any but its only been in there for a few hours.

3. cool.because i rember we done that at school a few years ago. teacher just took a cutting from a tree, put it in water and within a week it had roots, i was just wondering if this was possible with marijuana

4. Im not sure how long to expect for it to grow roots though

5. Yes, it can be done that way. I recommend changing the water once in a while to keep algae or other harmful contaminants from forming. You can expedite rooting with the addition of a rooting hormone.

I read on here a while back about a guy that takes one of those styrofoam paper plates and cut slots with holes at the end of a slot to hold the stem, puts several cuttings in the plate and floats it in a bowl of water. He gets roots in about 2-3 weeks.

It will work, but there are better, quicker ways to clone. Do a search for cloning, there is a great deal of info available here.

6. yeah i have super thrive and jump start in the water, i know there is a faster way but, this is my only option right now

7. Try to keep light from hitting the water......that's why I recommend changing it.