Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can you be addicted to marijuana?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by SoVAesir, Jan 16, 2012.

1. When people say that marijuana is addictive I always silently disagree with them. Almost everyone I know or used to know back in high school was always talking about how they can't wait to get high after school our on the weekend. They weren't over the top stoners or posers either. Whenever they were asked questions like "what are you doing this weekend/after school? ", the first thing they usually mention is getting high.

I don't mean to say that it's as addictive as heroin or Meth, but in my opinion there no doubt that marijuana can be mentally addictive. What do you guys think?

2. everything is addictive.

To my knowledge, marijuana addiction only effects people with hyper addictive personalities. These are the people who get addicted to video games and things like that

Yes, The Union told me this :D

however when it comes to withdrawal I've found there are no symptons. You just get a little tired the next day.

3. yeah its addictive mentally, of course everything is, however i saw a video on youtube a while back of a study done on addiction of marijuana and they said that in people that are prone to addictiveness(basically means they can become addicted to stuff easier) have said they have slight with drawls if they dont smoke...i dont agree with it but who knows

4. It isn't difficult for most to quit cold turkey. Still some do become addicted to it because they refuse to stop even when its ruining their life

5. Everything and anything can become addictive to some people. It all depends on the personality and their self control.

6. 10% of all marijuana patients end up in rehab for mental addiction.

7. [quote name='"iCheetos"']10% of all marijuana patients end up in rehab for mental addiction.[/quote]

I don't believe they statistic. You have a source?

8. [quote name='"iCheetos"']10% of all marijuana patients end up in rehab for mental addiction.[/quote]

By choice? Or force?

9. Yes weed is addictive, but yet again what isn't? I would say I had a harder time quitting energy drinks then smoking reefer.. god do I love rockstars :smoke:

10. Confirmed by the National Survey of Mental Health and Wellbeing.

11. marijuana is addicting in the same way that sex or food is. If you do or intake something that gives you pleasure, naturally you're going to want more of it. To me, if you're addicted to something, you NEED it. You can't get through your day whether that be physically(withdrawal), or mentally (You can't think about doing anything else until you do it). Weed falls into the category of "pleasure" not "addiction" :smoke:

12. Well to strictly go by the definition of addiction:

Addiction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

then pot could be physiologically addictive. As many folks have already pointed out, so can many other things. Food, sex, etc.

Pot, is not psychologically addictive, so even though you may have developed a pot habit it is not hard to stop if you really want to.

13. [quote name='"iCheetos"']
    Confirmed by the National Survey of Mental Health and Wellbeing.[/quote]

Have a link for that source ?

14. [quote name='"iCheetos"']10% of all marijuana patients end up in rehab for mental addiction.[/quote]

I guarantee 99 percent of that 10 was forced to go.. Who checks themselves in for marijuana addiction? If they do that they have bigger things to worry about in there lives that you have to check yourself into rehab just to get away from bud.

15. I like to smoke weed, have sex, eat food, watch tv, play games, ride my bike, play guitar so these are the things i do in my spare time.

The word addiction is being thrown around, but weed is just something that is really awesome that i want to keep doing.

Heres a way to look at it i haven't seen really:

I pay for new clothes because i like looking nice
    I pay to keep myself warm because i like being warm
    I pay My bills to watch tv and play the xbox because i like it
    I pay for fuel because i like driving and going places

Doesnt mean i shouldnt do these things because they are expensive and i like doing them.

16. Yeah, it's addictive.

So is rock climbing and eating chalk.

17. Shit is ruining my life now dude i need to take a t break seriously!!

18. [quote name='"GreyEclipse"']Yeah, it's addictive.

So is rock climbing and eating chalk.[/quote]

My friend OD on chalk....

19. Weed can be psychologically addicting because some people use it compulsively and their lives begin to revolve around it. But that being said, a person can become psychologically addicted to ANYTHING. I personally have been smoking weed for several years and it has become a tool to enhance my life, but it has not become my life.

20. yes, pyschologically and maybe a little withdrawal