Can you add a Turbo to a TBI Engine?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by EmperorOfHemp, May 4, 2010.

1. I have a 1988 Chevy S10 Blazer with a 2.8L Throttle Body Injected engine. I was wondering if anyone knows of how (if possible) injected engines could be turboed? I'm a little uneducated on this subject.

I'm also curious if anyone has any input on muffler bypass systems, and how it would sound on said engine. The engine is fairly stock (as far as I know), so I'm not sure how it would sound. Any input on how to make 'er sound deeper and "throatier"?

2. #3 EmperorOfHemp, May 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2010
    Thanks. I've done that before for people that seem to not be able to use Google. All that took was "adding turbo to TBI." But it seems that there isn't just a neat bolt on package. A little more wrenching and down-time. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with these older engines.

EDIT: Kinda fucked up on wording

3. Yeah, I've got a buddy that put a turbo on his old blazer a while back. We had to cut up sheet metal, fabricate custom housings / brackets, and replace the radiator & fan with thinner models to get some space to move the engine forward.

I'm not sure why you would want a muffler bypass system, since there are tons of ways to improve/modify engine sound on old Blazers. If you're dedicated enough, and don't mind dealing with resonance issues, I would go with a custom fabricated outfit vs. some cheap techy plastic thing you might get in a store.

Usually local hardware stores will get you everything you need, including high temp metal / plastic tubing, high temp wiring, and sometimes solenoids. I don't know the exact design of your exhaust system, but it's no different than plumbing in a new washing machine. Weld tubes that need to be shortened for space, but always consider the resonance factor, because every change you make will affect the sound.

We had bigger exhaust headers installed when we put the turbo in, so it was difficult to find room for the solenoid and hoses. We took the existing aftermarket muffler out, cut the inlet short and installed our solenoid system. Keeping it sealed is the #1 priority. We played with a few methods of expelling the exhaust, including putting ribbons in the bypass system to make it sound cool.

I purchased a simple 10ohm high-pressure bypass solenoid online, welded / cut what I needed to, and wired an electric toggle switch onto the dash. It works like a charm to this day, but it was a bitch of a project to finish.

4. #5 EmperorOfHemp, May 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2010

Thanks a lot. This is relatively what I was looking for. I was just looking for a little project with the bypass. I'm not really doing it for performance gain, more for "flash." Kinda want to be able to roll up on people, and flip a switch and port exhaust out before reaching the muffler.

Along the lines of:
    muffler bypass valve - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
    At the bottom of the page.

Maybe even put it before the catalytic converter if possible (or move the converter back) and put a piezoelectric igniter (barbeque igniter) a couple inches before the end of the pipe and make some cheapy "flame throwers) Of course, if I WERE to do that, I would port the exhaust bypass out the sides infront of the real wheel, not under the cabin.

5. I've thought about porting it to some sidewinding chrome piping and fabricating a mechanism with fuel injectors, a small pump and an igniter. It's difficult to reduce backpressure / vapor lock in some cases if you port through the cat, but inserting a filtered bleeder valve is easy.

As for bypassing the cat, that's a common thing on these rigs, if you don't outright remove it and reinstall it for emissions tests. It would be easier to run a flame setup without the cat, which would make room for an atomizing/recirculating chamber for the fuel.

6. Ah. I kinda want to leave the cat in for day-to-day use; so I figure (correct me, please, if I'm wrong) that if I instal one of these:
    http://www.superstang.com/powered_exhaust/mainpic.jpg
    before the cat, open the valve and rev up, there would be a little excess unburned fuel coming out of my port, allowing me to click the button, and have a little flame.

I'm not looking for anything spectacular, just a little "oh hey, his car shoots flames." (Well, produces some fire.)

7. I like the design of that. It looks like it would hold up under boost pressure, but I might be paranoid and RTV it. But that's just me.

8. To seal around the sides? Like seal the inside on one half, and the outside on the other depending on which way the motor turns? I was thinking the same.

What do you think of the possibility/dangers of the flame traveling back up the pipe? I doubt much would happen if that happened, considering what exhaust really is. Probably just a quick "pop"?

9. I could see it happening with high boost pressures, but with the way that valve looks, unless you burn the plate with excess fuel it should be fine.

Yeah those were the seals I was referring to. As long as those are intact with a high temp seal it should maintain pressure.

10. instead of the muffler bypass, look up 'eagle talon electric cut out' on youtube and listen to the car change exhaust note. you can make a non electric one out of a Y-pipe and a thottlebody if you know what youre doing. go from 100% stock exhaust to open down pipe :D

what i dont like about throttlebody injection is that its only one injector. if theres a way for you to go mpfi, do that instead.