Can The Cops See Me Grow?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by HubertGarfunkle, May 25, 2013.

1. I have a spare bedroom that I wanted to use as a grow room. i have a 2 bedroom house. I purchased a grow tent and a 1000 hps light. Will the cops be able to see it with their infared light? I am thinking about using cfls instead because im worried about this.

2. Dont forget to wear your tin foil hat so their brain scrambling waves cant penetrate your skull!

3. I wouldn't even worry about it, unless you have a lot of choppers flying around your neighborhood.  I mean cops don't just drive around with a thermal imager, I believe it would be much more difficult to read heat signatures driving around, rather than having an aerial view of everything.  A thermal imager is a an expensive piece of equipment and on top of that it is quite bulky, it would need to mounted in a fixed area.  So I am highly doubtful cops have one, unless that have a compact one, which can only read a select area.

4. They are hand held now no bigger than cameras.. Any amount of heat that gets released from your house will be picked up if they are flying around. Make sure your exhaust fan is in a normal spot that would release heat, like a dryer duct or a fireplace if your that worried.

5. #5 Old School Smoker, May 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2013
    Yes, if you have a heat exuast outlet in your house, they can spot it with infrared.  Be smart and remove the heater unit from your home and hook your exaust to the heater vent so it goes through the roof.. But you cant run it in the summer. Good luck.

EDIT: OMG that was horrible advice I am baked sorry.....

6. wow ok, heres how u do it right brotha.

1. dont worry about your heat signature as much as u are most of the time its power bills and smell that gets people caught.

2. CFL's are a terrible idea u use a shit load of power and dont produce near enough lumens for the entire life of the plant.

3.  if your really worried about heat get a hood for your light  that has 6 in openings on both sides.  run dust work from your air conditioner into one side of the tent and then to the hood on the light and do the same to the other side except the duct work coming up gets ran up to a ridge vent in your attic so the heat goes out of the house that way.

4. your lights should come on in the morning and turn off at night... hopefully that last one was oveious.

hope that was helpfull

7. thats the thing, theres a shitload of helicopters in my area. i live right next to a small airport. not a commercial type airport where ordinary ppl can go. im not sure what kind of airport it is but its there. my house is a mobile home, its not on permanent foundation, its on stilts, so if you go outside you can crawl under my house. I was thinking of running the ducting to blow the heat out of a vent under the house. on of them is broken so essentially its like theres a hole in the floor of the room. i was thinking of pushing it out that way. this isnt for anyting massive either. 1 1000 watt hps, and 6 plants max.

8. First of all if you live in the US they need a warrant. The only way you will get caught is if you dont Control the smell and/or tell someone. DONT TELL ANYONE EVER. for every 1 person you tell increase your chance of getting caught by 10%.

9. Well Mr. Statistician id say that all depends who you tell and how loyal they are to you.

10. well when you get your door busted in at 3 in the morning with guns pointed on you dont say i didnt warn you.

11. #11 astrid, May 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2013

I have heard of people exhausting into a sewer line.  Those thermal imaging cameras on helicopters are quite strong, I know when I was in Afghanistan when I rode on choppers occasionally the pilots could see people in caves with thermal imagers, and even more when they were running gas burners in the caves.

Also running an exhaust could be dangerous for the structural foundation, depending what is supporting your house, having hot air and possibly mildew or mold type spores or anything can compromise your foundation.

My exhaust line runs right beside my water heater, whoever installed the new one forgot to remove the old exhaust going to the roof. I don't have problems with choppers, I maybe see like 2 or 3 a year and there med flight choppers.  So if they do see it the heat signature will come from the pipe coming from my roof looking like my hot water heater exhaust.

12. Lol just because YOUR shitty friends flipped on you does not mean my 1 or 2 would.

13. Look man really this is kind of a rule of thumb and people with experience say it a lot to new or anxious growers. This is true for some cases, in mine more than 14 people knew and even more learned after i finish, but that does not matter cause i dont plan to do it again shortly. Anyway this is what people say so that others do not tell it to anyone, maybe you can trust your friends maybe not but chances are that if they get caught and they do not know much they will get scared and might rat you out. This is why some people tell this to other people no need to start an arguement there since it is a generally good advice

14. My vote is don't tell anyone. 

Especially if your paranoid enough to start a thread called "Can the cops see me grow?"  :ey:

15. Look man really this is kind of a rule of thumb and people with experience say it a lot to new or anxious growers. This is true for some cases, in mine more than 14 people knew and even more learned after i finish, but that does not matter cause i dont plan to do it again shortly. Anyway this is what people say so that others do not tell it to anyone, maybe you can trust your friends maybe not but chances are that if they get caught and they do not know much they will get scared and might rat you out. This is why some people tell this to other people no need to start an arguement there since it is a generally good advice
    </blockquote>Well duh, I was just raggin on him because that statement suggested anyone you tell will get u busted....now I'm not sayin go flap ur lips to everyone, but you gotta have at least 1 or 2 people that u trust enough to not flip on you when the 5-0 is pounding on their door

Sent from my Desire HD using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. "Loose lips sink ships."

17. Dude my computer prob gets hotter than that when I'm gaming all night long.  Don't worry over that kinda stuff on small grows

18. Totally true. There are many situations where you would have a hot appliance in your house as well as waste a lot of elctricity. My computer has a problem and if i switch it off, it needs to be completely disconnected from power for at least a couple of hours in order to switch back on :p yeah it is weird, and i have many assignments so i let it on 24/7 for 3 months and another two until i can buy my new pc :).

19. the idea of a tent is to create a new light cycle for your plants. my light areOFF all day and ON all night. No A\\C needed this way.. even on a 100 degree day.
    You are right about the hood though... you dont have to woory about a heat signature if the heat is not on the extrerior wall. it is also bad to turn lights off at the point of day when humidity is highest.

20. agreed brotha,  were on the same page, i was only making that comment that his lights should come on during the day insted of at night because he is worried about heat signature, running lights at night is ideal because of heat like u said although in his situation i would run them during the day, a large heat signature will stick out like a sore thumb at night with a thermal cam, trust me im prior military with an air defence job where i tracked heat signatures.

as far as humidity thats a good point. i live in colorado so i dont have humidity issues here, but when i was growin in south west florida we ran dehumidifiers to offset that issue as well as inclosing the grow room with duct board