Can the concepts of Karma and Sociopathology coexist?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by McMuffinMe, Jul 15, 2011.

1. #1 McMuffinMe, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
    How do sociopaths get karma? or were they just born to lose karma? are there special rules for sociopaths (i don't think so)? i don't believe in karma, and this thought came to me to justify my assumption. am i missing something, or does that disprove karma's existence?

i want to be wrong, but i never get a sense of justice from life as it appears to me. maybe i'm just pessimistic.

2. No. Modern neuroscience suggests we are at the mercy of our parents, genes, and environment. Karma and what we know about the brain today are simply incompatible. The social utility of believing in Karma however, regardless of whether it is true, is obvious and undeniable, so we can see why this idea took root.

As for justice, alas, the world is sometimes unjust. Innocent people get treated monstrously, and wicked people can prosper tremendously. The only real option is to be as good of a human being as you possibly can, for the sake of being good.

3. #3 1Trismegistus1, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
    Just because a sociopath doesn't feel emotions, doesn't mean they don't act for the fruit of actions ever. Many of them live lives as con-men, aka ripping people off FOR money, not just for the sake of the action of ripping someone off.

Also I fail to see how "our understanding of the brain" somehow disproves Karma, unless of course you have the false view of what it is in the first place, as it's an Eastern word and people have made it into their own little word that means something different.

Also I thought I might add, you only incarnate with a tiny sliver of your karma, and you incarnate to work that sliver out. A person can still have karma without creating any.

4. Through this labelling in various "bad" terms, such as one being a "sociopath," or other mental disorder, we create a contrast between "normal" and "weird," and we are forced to choose, thus limiting the space of our mind to pick up on various waves, and therefore can only create limited thought-patterns. If you want to do away with what you don't want, simply ignore it. Pay it no mind. Turn off your mind. Tune in to the broadcasting of your highest fantasy. Enjoy. Experience.

5. yeah the way i understood it from an eastern philosophy we turned it into something else..to us its commonly just good and bad, which doesn't necessarily exist in most eastern beliefs.

karma is simply action, not good or bad. and because you're always in the present its up to you to decide how things are going...you cant use the past to explain your present situation because its what you're currently making of it.

and so its not a cause and effect (eye for an eye) as we like to think of it...

6. We see "humans" as being separate from "nature." Thus we certainly see human-creations as separate from natural creations. Due to being human-centric, and therefore ego-centric, we put our focus on man-made technology. Let reality evolve with your own understanding. Just live your fantasy. Be who you are.

7. #7 Perpetual Burn, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2011
    Karma = Act, deed, or what is done and why it is done.

Thus this thread makes no sense. So you are confused.

--

As far as individual notions of morality are concerned, I'd say it's environmental. We learn what is around us and decide to act in which ever ways we please.

8. #8 ArgoSG, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2011
    Thought patterns I want to limit myself of( If you don't, you're a sociopath):

"This infant girl is beautiful. Let's cut off her clitoris."

"I can't explain it/I can't imagine how.. ________. It must be ____."

And the still ever so popular, thanks vastly to the dogmas of the Abrahamic religions:

"She or he is gay, therefore there is something wrong with them."

Not so much decide as unconsciously(on some level) react.