can someone help me?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by superboxx08, Jan 7, 2009.

1. #1 superboxx08, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2009
    a friend of mine brought this lil plant to my boyfriend and i about 3 weeks ago. we've never gown before. it was about 3 inches tall with regular california dirt when it was brought to us, and now 8 inches. the first two 1/2 weeks we had no problems. about 2 days ago i noticed that it was starting to turn to a yellow green. :confused: we water about a 1/3 cup every other day. we just transplanted it into a bigger pot, just with regular potting soil. right now, we're using 2 halogen 150 watt bulbs that give off 2800 lumens in a small corner in my closet. i do have the fixtures for flourescent lights. just not sure what kind i need. i've always wanted to grow, but don't know how or have the cash for fancy equipment. i have a budget of about $50-75. if anyone can answer any of my questions below or have any advice, that would be great.:eek:

how many hours in light /dark?

best florescent bulbs (for cheap)?

how much/often to water?

why is it turning yellow?

what kind of soil do i need?

any good fertilizer?

websites that can help?

what to do and not to do??

thankx- the boxx.:cool:

2. You've obviously done your research and followed instructions of the stickies, well done.

3. stickies??

4. #4 blzbob, Jan 7, 2009
    OK I'll give it a try. First of all halogen lights aren't good for growing you can get some Cheap mh & hps vapor tight lights at www.e-conolight.com/product/EFamily.asp they have them for about $20.00 also get the aluminum shroud for it. all you have to do is use a cord with a plug and wire it up, you kown white to white black to black and green to ground. only water when the top inch of soil is bone dry as for soil I would try Fox Farm Ocean Forest.If you are still vegging then 18 hrs light if in Flowering 12 hrs light.
    Fertilizers I use are Fox Farm Grow Big for Veg and Fox Farm Tiger Bloom for flowering. yellowing could be over watering or not enough fertilizer. also the plants like the water at 6.2-6.8 ph for good fertilizer absorbtion. Hope this answers your questions

5. alright, thanks.:D

6. #6 Zonyc, Jan 7, 2009
    Watering your plant should go thusly: you should only water when you feel that the dirt about an inch down is dry and the pot is light. You need to allow the roots to breathe oxygen; watering too often does not allow this. You should water until you get some run off from the bottom of the pot every 3-4 days (or less if you're using a smaller pot).

Halogens are not suited for growing. They do not provide enough of the usable color spectrum for plants to utilize for photosynthesis. The color of a bulb is express in kelvin. 6500k for veg, and 2700 for flowering. I would recommend that you pick up some "daylight" cfls for vegging since you are on a budget. They provide the correct color temperature and are extremely affordable.

For veg you can use a variety of different light cycles with 18 on and 6 off being most common, you can also use 20 on, and 4 of, or 24 on and 0 off. For flowering, you'll want to switch to 12 on and 12 off. During flowering, you must ensure that no light enters your grow area, as this can cause stress and may produce a hermie which is a plant with both sexes. Cannabis is unusual in the plant kingdom because it is dioecious (plants that have seperate male and female sexes). Most plants are monoecious and have both sexes on the same parent.

Your plants are turning yellow most likely due to stress. This is a guide which will show you what your plant is deficient of, however, it is difficult to come up with a differential diagnosis if your problem with out pictures.

I'm a hydro grower my self, however, fox farms ocean forest is the most widely accepted to be the best soil. It is often abbreviated at FFOF. DO NOT use miracle grow soil no matter what you do!