Can Somebody Help me Learn the Game of Football?

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by NYYstateofmind, Oct 19, 2009.

1. I am a huge baseball fan, pretty much sports fan in general. i love playing it all. When i was younger it was all about baseball. but as i get older i want to be able to hang out with my friends on sundays, drink some beer and chill, know whats going on and have good football discussions.

Now it is apparent to me, that football is VERY complicated, a lot more complicated than it looks.

2. im not pro at football by any means but basic

run the ball down the field
    -you have 4 downs to reach a certain number of yards, this goes all the way down the field (i dont know how many yards). once you pass a certain amount of yards it goes to 1st down
    -if its your last down and you dont think you're gonna go over the line then you punt if your close enough to the end zone to make it, or if you're in your zone a kick to get it far away

now i would like to request someone to tell us about favorite teams for the year, the best teams in history of football(what do we have to know, whos the michael jordan, who won the most titles etc), andddd most popular teams. thx

3. star watching games every weekend. after a season or two youll understand it better.

4. theres this weird shaped brown football that a bunch of guys in tight pants run around after and throw back and forth in a big grass field

5. I have no idea where to start explaining. Just ask your friends while your watching to explain as you go.

6. Wish I could help... I hate football. It's so boring.

7. Here's as simple an explanation as I can put it:

Each team has 11 players on the field at any time. One side playing offense, and the other playing defense.

[​IMG]

On offense you usually have:

QB - Quarterback - The primary playmaker, usually throws or hands off the ball to the RB
    HB/FB/TB - Runningbacks - They usually run with the ball, can also catch.
    WR - Wide Reciever - Usually implemented to catch the ball.
    TE - Tight End - Usually has a dual purpose: to block, and catch the football.
    C - Center - Snaps the ball to the QB/center blocker/lineman
    OT - Offensive Tackle - Outer most blocker/lineman
    OG - Offensive Guard - Inside blocker/lineman

There are usually an interchangeable number of TE/RB/WR, depending on the formation set.

On defense, you usually have:
    DE - Defensive Ends - On the line, primary function is to pass rush.
    DL - Defensive Lineman - On the line, primary function is to pass rush, stop RBs.
    LB - Linebackers - Sit behind the line, can be used for pass rush or drop back into coverage.
    CB - Cornerbacks - Cover WRs, try to prevent the WRs from catching balls.
    S - Safteys - Usually assist CBs in pass coverage.

So now that we know the positions, we will cover scoring aspects of the game.
    Touchdown - when the ball enters the endzone - 6 points, with a chance for a Point After Touchdown (PAT)
    PAT - 1 point (kick) or 2 points (TD)
    Field Goal - 3 points - When ball is kicked between the uprights at the ends of the field.
    Safety - 2 points - When the defense tackles an offensive player carrying the ball in their own endzone. Like going backwards.

There are 15 minutes in each quarter, with 4 quarters making up the game. If after 4 quarters, the game is tied - (in NFL) the game goes to Sudden Death overtime. First team to score wins.

A team has 4 chances to gain 10 yards. If they don't convert after three downs, they may punt, attempt a field goal, or go try for the first down (risking a turn over of possession to the other team).

That's pretty much all I can think of for now. There are a lot of rules to the game, and you need to watch it a little bit to better understand it.

8. Used to be a huge fan of Football but now its all commercials and advertisements. Also the fact that some of these people make more than my city combined and drop passes that a fucking 4 year old could make disgust me.

9. i KIND of know the basics. i know the basic rules. but i am not farmilliar with the names of the positions and where the positions play. i also need to learn how to read defenses, but maybe i am getting ahead of myself?

10. easiest way is to watch all the games. youll pick it up eventually

11. nuglord pretty much hit all the basics. Just sit down and watch as much as you can. listen to the commentators, they break absolutely everything down like six times after every play... that's why games take three fucking hours.
    If you game I also recommend getting Madden, awesome game and it will pretty much teach you how the game works

12. its a very strategic and intricate game when you break it down, which is what makes it so fun and entertaining. As you've been told, just start watching lots of football. You'll catch on eventually. When I was 11 I was screaming for my favorites teams. Haha its a piece of cake.

13. watch the movie -the waterboy-explains everything

14. I'd like to give you a warning. If you are the kind of person who is annoyed by weird or poorly designed rules in games (so basically if you are a game theory nerd like me) DO NOT try to get into football. It's actually a seriously terrible game, especially NFL rules.

That said, the best advice I can give is to simply read the Wikipedia pages about football positions and strategies. It's really not to hard to learn the basics, then if you want to impress your friends you can go on to read blogs like Smart Football that go into more depth about the play calling and tactics of football.

15. A duller, more timid and more uninteresting version of Rugby and real football (soccer).

16. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlzVDDSfeeA]YouTube - Cowboys vs. Seahawks, starring Tony Romo as "Lucy"[/ame]

^This^ this is what football is.

17. Sportscenter. It is there job to tell you about sports. They will even get pretty in debth on strategy, and show you why certain plays worked. For some reason ESPN is always on at my place, whether it is me or my roommates. Because of this I know a lot of things about sports and even things about some sports that I have no interest in.

18. That's a pretty good basic description, man.

Watch the game tonight 8:30 ET.

19. If you like video games, I'd recommend getting an old version of madden. ones from a few years ago can be only like $5 for a PS2 or XBox, and you can learn the basics of the game from that. A lot of the players good in the game probably won't be as good anymore, it seems the best years for NFL players is usually shorter than in MLB or NBA players, but still its a good way to learn positions, plays, etc.