Can my landlord evict me?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mast3rmind, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Hey y'all I am a medicinal cannibus user I am legal I have a doctors reccommendation and am allowed to grow 6 mature plants or 12 immature plants according to the rough guidelines I was reading for the beautiful state of California 215.

I am currently living in a rental home I have only been here a few months and want to start growing! The only thing that concerns me is can my landlord evict me if they find my plants? My landlord does monthly inspections of the home when im not there so I don't know if they would notice it or not. I really don't want to be evicted I am doing nothing criminal I am simply growing a few plants for my personal use.

2. The only thing you can do is explain the situation to your landlord and see what he says. If he says yes, then go for it. If he says no, make other arrangements.

If he does monthly inspections, you don't want to surprise him with it. Better to be upfront and honest and have the ability to state your case.

Good luck.

3. Im not 100% sure about the laws in cali, but usually it states you can do so in and on your own property, therefore meaning its up to the landlord to decide if you can grow or not. I'm sure however if you broke down the legality of it and its legal for you to grow, with his permission, he really has no reason to say no, unless hes a prick.... I have friends here in CO that are med patients that got an eviction warning (gave them another chance) for vaping weed.....

4. Your landlord does inspections?! What the hell is that all about
    I live in a rented house also and I'd be throwing a fit if my landlord came into the residence and "inspected" (rummaged) through my belongings.

But anyways, I would run it by em and just explain that it's the only thing that helps and blaw blaw

5. the inspection laws usually say, if the landlord gives you 24 hour notice, they are allowed to come by and look into the rooms of your house, unless they went into a court and received some sort of...warrant i guess they can not dig through ANY of your shit man hahah, thats not covered at ALL in most lease agreements...... Now, if your neighbors said it smelled strongly of weed, the land lord would have no trouble getting permission to do whatever the fuck he wanted because while your still on agreement of lease terms, he still "owns" the land

6. I'm not really sure if he did an inspection of the inside of the house or just the outside and i'm not sure if he even went in my backyard. All I know is yesterday when I got home I had a notice on my front door saying "Please do not leave your garbage cans out after they are emptied" so I know he at least drove by and investigated it really tripped me out.

7. one key think to keep in mind if you live in a complex is to know when your neighbors are moving, thats a key time the land lord will be there a lot.

8. If your landlord makes monthly inspections then he will notice a grow going on.

And once he is inspecting if he sees anything that he feels jeopardizes the safety of the property and/or other tenants or that is illegal then he can take action, he most definitely has both a right and a responsibility to do so.

As for whether the landlord could shut down your grow, honestly you need to find a different site for a question like that. You need someone who knows the law, not a bunch of growers who have very different experiences that don't match your situation throwing out opinions. There are legal services that answer one-off questions like this for a small fee, if you are seriously thinking of doing this then getting legal advice from an actual Calif attorney specializing in real estate and such for $25-$50 is well worth it IMO.

P.S. keep in mind that no matter what a given state has legislated regarding marijuana, it is still illegal under federal law.

9. You need to read the California tenants hand book because your landlord is not allowed to just enter your premises as he pleases, unless he got a report of an emergency, he must give 24 hours notice.

You do need to get his permission though because it's his property and not yours, and if he found out he could evict you.

Just ask, the worst he can say is no. He can't evict you for asking.

10. Lol he could do MUCH more than just evict you...its a felony to grow in places you arent supposed to lol he could potentially fuck you for life

11. I also grow for myself legal here in mi I can have 12 plants for myself.I am renting and previously my landlord came over for some repairs and seen my plants.I keep a copy of my mi med grow license taped on the door just so he knows its legit.He never said one word and I know he seen them because the door was wide open to vent some heat.
    I dont know how your landlord is but I am pretty lucky mine is exceptionally nice.I think its pretty much like if he really doesnt want you there because of the plants and even if your legal,if he dont want you there he will just find another excuse.But be up front about it it will prob be best.

12. I'd like an explanation on that. You seem to know what you're talking about.

13. Just as it says. MJ is a controlled substance under federal law. Some states have asserted rights to "legalize" it, but those do not trump the federal law.

The reality is that the Feds don't bust individual growers or smokers. In fact, for the most part they turn a blind eye to MMJ growers in states that say it's OK. Obama even announced about 6 months into his term that Feds are being told specifically to ignore the issue. But that doesn't change the fact that, on paper, it's illegal under federal law, and in particular a landlord might not care if the Feds have decided to not enforce a law on the books or not.