Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can marijuana cause personality disorder?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by sodope28, Nov 22, 2012.

1. So here is my question i have watch many documentries and done much research on marijuana. I just did a research paper on cannabis and needed to present it. The presentation went really well, and showed parts of the union. at the end the teacher ask what i thought of marijuana causing personality disorders. so here is my question were can i find this info outside a government site? is there even enough research to answer the question?

2. "it makes you like meth"

-Propaganda.

"Quality, over Quantity."

3. prolonged LONG TERM use may cause some problems;

one time use for someone prone to schizophrenia could bring out the symptoms. but so could 1000 other things....

it's like saying dont do bungee jumping it will cause death, or don't fuck a hooker you will defs get aids.

hate dat feel when assholes exaggerate!

4. Sadly for me I could say so in a certain sense. I am an asshole without it, I'm negative, stubborn, just not very bright. But after I smoke I'm opposite. A lot of people will look down on me for relying on it but its really my medicine. I probably look dumb hah but yeah I guess it can in ways.

5. a lot of people will say no but yea it can do some things to you.

i think theres hardly any research on what it can do though

6. It changed the way I act when I started in high school. I had a lot of friends but I started abusing the herb daily. I started acted quieter not my self super self conscious. Lets just say by the end of the year I started I had pretty much lost all my friends from school.

7. Hopefully once it's completely legalized we can actually start real studies and research to remove all the propaganda and get real facts on how it affects us.

8. No. Marijuana does not and cannot cause personality disorders. It is very capable however, of flushing out or bringing to the surface disorders that are already within a person before they started smoking. For most people personality and mental disorders lay dormant for many years before making themselves known, but if someone with one of these disorders frequently smokes weed it can make the disorder much more apparent and difficult to deal with.
    Why it can do that, I do not know exactly.

9. I'm cooking a feast, so I don't have time to sort this all out for you, but here is what I have on just the last 2 years on schizophrenia/mental disorders. Have fun!

Deletion of CB2 Cannabinoid Receptor Induces Schizophrenia-Related Behaviors in Mice (full – 2011) Neuropsychopharmacology - Deletion of CB2 Cannabinoid Receptor Induces Schizophrenia-Related Behaviors in Mice

Cannabis use predicts shorter duration of untreated psychosis and lower levels of negative symptoms in first-episode psychosis: a South African study. (full – 2011)
    http://www.ajop.co.za/Journals/November2010/Original articles/Cannabis use.pdf

Cannabinoids for the Treatment of Schizophrenia? A Balanced Neurochemical Framework for Both Adverse and Therapeutic Effects of Cannabis Use (full – 2011)
    Cannabinoids for the Treatment of Schizophrenia? A Balanced Neurochemical Framework for Both Adverse and Therapeutic Effects of Cannabis Use

Gadolinium-HU-308-incorporated micelles. (full – 2011)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK54067/pdf/CB2R-Gd-Micelles.pdf

Synthetic cannabinoid JWH-018 and psychosis: An explorative study. (abst – 2011)
    Unbound MEDLINE : Synthetic cannabinoid JWH-018 and psychosis: an explorative study.

Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions.
    (abst – 2011) Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endoca... [Nat Neurosci. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Psychopharmacological comparison of schizophrenia spectrum disorder with and without cannabis dependency. (abst – 2011) Psychopharmacologi... [Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Endocannabinoid system dysfunction in mood and related disorders. (abst – 2011)
    Endocannabinoid system dysfunction in m... [Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabis with high cannabidiol content is associated with fewer psychotic experiences. (abst – 2011) Cannabis with high cannabidiol content is asso... [Schizophr Res. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Sub-chronic impact of cannabinoids in street cannabis on cognition, psychotic-like symptoms and psychological well-being. (abst – 2011) Sub-chronic impact of cannabinoids in street can... [Psychol Med. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

The Dopamine and Cannabinoid Interaction in the Modulation of Emotions and Cognition: Assessing the Role of Cannabinoid CB1 Receptor in Neurons Expressing Dopamine D1 Receptors. (abst - 2011) The Dopamine and Cannabinoid Interactio... [Front Behav Neurosci. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

History of cannabis use is not associated with alterations in striatal dopamine D2/D3 receptor availability. (abst – 2011) History of cannabis use is not associated ... [J Psychopharmacol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Popular intoxicants: what lessons can be learned from the last 40 years of alcohol and cannabis regulation? (abst – 2011) Popular intoxicants: what lessons can be l... [J Psychopharmacol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

The schizophrenia susceptibility gene neuregulin 1 modulates tolerance to the effects of cannabinoids. (abst – 2011) Unbound MEDLINE : The schizophrenia susceptibility gene neuregulin 1 modulates tolerance to the effects of cannabinoids.

Endocannabinoid system and psychiatry: in search of a neurobiological basis for detrimental and potential therapeutic effects. (abst – 2011) Unbound MEDLINE : Endocannabinoid system and psychiatry: in search of a neurobiological basis for detrimental and potential therapeutic effects.

The endocannabinoid system in the regulation of emotions throughout lifespan: a discussion on therapeutic perspectives. (abst – 2011) Unbound MEDLINE : The endocannabinoid system in the regulation of emotions throughout lifespan: a discussion on therapeutic perspectives.

Cannabinoid receptor 1 gene polymorphisms and marijuana misuse interactions on white matter and cognitive deficits in schizophrenia. (abst – 2011) Cannabinoid receptor 1 gene polymorphisms and ... [Schizophr Res. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Association between a cannabinoid receptor gene (CNR1) polymorphism and cannabinoid-induced alterations of the auditory event-related P300 potential.
    (abst – 2011) Unbound MEDLINE : Association between a cannabinoid receptor gene (CNR1) polymorphism and cannabinoid-induced alterations of the auditory event-related P300 potential.

Deletion of CB2 cannabinoid receptor induces schizophrenia-related behaviors in mice. (abst – 2011) Deletion of CB2 cannabinoid receptor... [Neuropsychopharmacology. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Marijuana Use Associated With 'Superior' Cognitive Performance In Schizophrenic Patients, Study Says (news – 2011) Marijuana Use Associated With 'Superior' Cognitive Performance In Schizophrenic Patients, Study Says

A Brain Wrought Without Omega-3 (news – 2011) Schizophrenia Research Forum: A Brain Wrought Without Omega-3

Debunking the Myth of a Link Between Marijuana and Mental Illness (news – 2011)
    Debunking the Myth of a Link Between Marijuana and Mental Illness | Alternet

The Link Between Marijuana and Schizophrenia (news – 2011)
    A Complex Link Between Marijuana and Schizophrenia - TIME

Acute mental disturbance caused by synthetic cannabinoid: a potential emerging substance of abuse in Hong Kong. (full – 2012) http://easap.asia/journal_file/1201_V22N1_p31.pdf

Cannabidiol enhances anandamide signaling and alleviates psychotic symptoms of schizophrenia. (full – 2012) Cannabidiol enhances anandamide signaling and alleviates psychotic symptoms of schizophrenia

Plasma Endocannabinoid Alterations in Individuals with Substance Use Disorder are Dependent on the "Mirror Effect" of Schizophrenia. (full – 2012) Plasma Endocannabinoid Alterations in Individuals with Substance Use Disorder are Dependent on the

Cannabinoid modulation of noradrenergic circuits: Implications for psychiatric disorders.
    (abst – 2012) Cannabinoid modula... [Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Cortical basket cell dysfunction in schizophrenia. (abst – 2012)
    Cortical basket cell dysfunction in schizophrenia. [J Physiol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Increased gray matter density in patients with schizophrenia and cannabis use: A voxel-based morphometric study using DARTEL. (abst – 2012) ScienceDirect.com - Schizophrenia Research - Increased gray matter density in patients with schizophrenia and cannabis use: A voxel-based morphometric study using DARTEL

Cannabidiol for neurodegenerative disorders: important new clinical applications for this phytocannabinoid? (abst – 2012) Cannabidiol for neurodegenerative disord... [Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

A current overview of cannabinoids and glucocorticoids in facilitating extinction of aversive memories: Potential extinction enhancers. (abst – 2012) A current overview of cannabinoids and glu... [Neuropharmacology. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

Antipsychotic Profile of Cannabidiol and Rimonabant in an Animal Model of Emotional Context Processing in Schizophrenia. (abst – 2012)
    Antipsychotic profile of cannabidiol and rimo... [Curr Pharm Des. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

A critical review of the antipsychotic effects of Cannabidiol: 30 years of a translational investigation. (abst – 2012) A critical review of the antipsychotic effect... [Curr Pharm Des. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Neurocognitive functioning and cannabis use in schizophrenia. (abst – 2012)
    Neurocognitive functioning and cannabis use i... [Curr Pharm Des. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Subjective and Physiological Effects of Oromucosal Sprays Containing Cannabinoids (Nabiximols): Potentials and Limitations for Psychosis Research. (abst – 2012) Subjective and physiological effects of oromu... [Curr Pharm Des. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Alcohol and cannabis use and mortality in people with schizophrenia and related psychotic disorders. (abst – 2012) Alcohol and cannabis use and mortality in pe... [J Psychiatr Res. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Nutritional n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids deficiency alters cannabinoid receptor signaling pathway in the brain and associated anxiety-like behavior in mice.
    (abst – 2012) Nutritional n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids deficiency alters cannabinoid receptor signaling pathway in the brain and associated anxiety-like behavior in mice - Springer

Chronic cannabinoid exposure reduces phencyclidine-induced schizophrenia-like positive symptoms in adult rats. (abst – 2012) Chronic cannabinoid exposure reduc... [Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Investigation of endocannabinoid system genes suggests association between peroxisome proliferator activator receptor-α gene (PPARA) and schizophrenia. (abst – 2012)
    Investigation of endocannabinoid sy... [Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabidiol inhibits THC-elicited paranoid symptoms and hippocampal-dependent memory impairment. (abst – 2012) Cannabidiol inhibits THC-elicited paranoid... [J Psychopharmacol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Medical use of cannabis. Cannabidiol: A new light for schizophrenia? (abst -2012) Medical use of cannabis. Cannabidiol: A new l... [Drug Test Anal. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Multiple mechanisms involved in the large-spectrum therapeutic potential of cannabidiol in psychiatric disorders. (abst – 2012) Multiple mechanisms invol... [Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Study: Marijuana Linked to Lower Mortality Rate for Patients with Psychotic Disorders
    (news – 2012) Study: Marijuana Linked to Lower Mortality Rate for Patients with Psychotic Disorders | Alternet

Granny :wave:

10. If you want the earlier stuff, click that first link in my sig!

11. Who are you? Why are you asking me so many questions? Who are you? Where am I? Who am I? *frantically proceeds to commit suicide

Yeh don't smoke or that will be you..

12. Um..
    What? :poke:

13. [quote name='"Storm Crow"']If you want the earlier stuff, click that first link in my sig![/quote]

We love you granny :D
    How long did it take you to find those sources?

14. #16 shroomkid, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2012
    "prolonged LONG TERM use may cause some problems;

one time use for someone prone to schizophrenia could bring out the symptoms. but so could 1000 other things.... "

dude that's what I said... read my post before trying to undermine me.

and how do you know for a fact that weed couldn't combined with other factors cause some sort of anxiety disorder? I've seen it happen to people.

15. Dude your signature is huge :smoking:

16. Only if you let the truth destroy you while your high.
    You will undoubtedly think about things.

17. great info thank you very much. More to include in my research paper.

18. YOU can be the effect you wish to see in cannabis.