can males be hermaphrodited?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by CRXSSF1R3, Aug 28, 2012.

1. can males be hermied by stressing them? say if you only had one plant, and it turned out to be male, could you stress it in a similiar way to a female to produce a hermie plant and therefore soemthing smokable?

2. ive never heard of that

3. :[. i dont understand why its possible to hermie from female to male but not the other way around

4. a female plant might freak out, think it's going to die before it meets a nice guy

so it stresses and creates its own seeds to self-pollenate

males don't have the reproductive system to pollenate themselves, so they're male to the end.

5. [quote name='"hello ladies"']a female plant might freak out, think it's going to die before it meets a nice guy

so it stresses and creates its own seeds to self-pollenate

males don't have the reproductive system to pollenate themselves, so they're male to the end.[/quote]

^What he said. He's right

6. I'm not saying anybody's wrong, but here's an alternative hypothesis.

There's a difference, I'd bet, in a forced hermaphrodite and a genetic hermaphrodite.

Personally, I think a genetic hermaphrodite male COULD start growing pistils.

Here's a reference.

I think if it's a forced hermaphrodite, you may have more issues with a male switching sides. I still bet under some circumstances, it's possible though.

From my experience, it seems like the tendency for female marijuana plants to hermaphrodite seems like a genetic trait. One that can be passed on for generations. I also kind of feel like it's built into most marijuana plants, not excluding males. The reason a female hermaphrodites under bad conditions is to not die off. If it can make genetic copies of itself to reproduce next spring, that's better than dying off forever.

Now, there's a reason that hermaphrodite produced seeds carry the hermaphrodite trait. In that same geological location, the environment won't change THAT much over the winter. There will still be the same soil and conditions for these hermaphrodite seeds to grow. The mother passes this trait on so the plant can still thrive and reproduce. It's a survival mechanism for the marijuana plant, but it's no good for us.

I've never seen a strain that WON'T herm either. They all do it under the right conditions.

I think it's completely possible for a male to hermaphrodite. I don't know if it'll ever be able to produce seeds, but it can definitely show female organs on a male plant.

7. that was wayyyyyyyyy too much for me to take in right now.
    :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: