Can Indica change to Sativa

Discussion in 'General' started by BobbyBoy99, Sep 17, 2018.

1. So a year ago I bought two gorilla glue plants, Stright up Glue and Gorilla @#$. They both grew as indicas as they should. I have read that clones loose THC if they are taken from the veg state. SO now I have cloned them four times from the bloom state, The plant I have going right now is from the Gorilla @#$. It is no longer indica it is a sativa. Leaves are thin.

I want to point out that every time I cloned I did it from the bloom stage. Which stress the cutting.

The genetics of Gorilla @#$ includes sativa chocolate diesel.

Has my original plant changed from indica to sativa can that happen? The clones were highly stressed.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. It's like asking if a Mexican can turn Chinese. Genetics are genetics. Nuff said.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Well if the Mexican had Chinese DNA in his past then it could happen. The strain I had was developed from multiple breeds. One was a sativa strain.

4. It is 2018... If humans can change genders idk why Cannabis couldn’t do the same with Indica-Sativa

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. It's just the sativa dominant phenotype of that specific strain.

• Like Like x 3
  6. He's taken clones off of a plant. The clone would exhibit the phenotype of the mother plant it was cut from. No?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Not always. You will run into plants that are the same strain but exhibit different characteristics or they are hybrid with more sativa or indica qualities. Pretty much it's just a different cut of the same strain. For example Gorilla Glue #4 is gorilla glue that has slight variations than the original phenotype.

• Like Like x 1
  8. You're only going to get different phenos from seeds not clones. A clone is genetically a copy of it's mother so it's exact.

That's not saying that plants can't show different sides of those genes depending on growing conditions and I've had plenty of plants show thin and fat leaves on the same plant but not on others from the same mother.

Take your clones from veg plants. No THC loss and better rooting especially from soft lower branches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. You need to get a new teacher or a new book because this is incorrect information.
    Not Possible for a clone to change from an indica to a sativa.
    NO.

No - not if the Mexican was a clone.

It’s not how it works
    with clones. Clones = duplicate of the mother plant it was taken from.

J

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. In my growing experience plant health can play a role in leaf shape.

That could be it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Yes it can - plant health means everything - but there’s not even a vague possibility of an indica changing from one type of variety to another.

Not in a million billion gazillion infinity of millenniums...

Lol

J

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. #13 BobbyBoy99, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Wow so may genealogists. My question was can strain on a plant change what the dominate genetic parent was to one of its non-dominate genes.

Just think about this. I cut my plant and left the bottom was going to try a second harvest. The strain was too much and the plants changed to males growing seeds.

So if a plant can change from female to male then a cutting may also be able to revert to an early genetic profile it has it its genes.

• Creative Creative x 1
  13. No. A female plant will not turn male It may hermie, but not turn male. A male plant can't and doesn't produce seeds. They produce pollen. And fertilize the female. I'm pretty sure @jerry111165 and I understood the question in the beginning. Did you understand the answers. You could possibly stress the female clone and it could hermie and produce seeds. Some of those seeds may have different phenos from the mom, but clone, no

• Like Like x 2
  14. U should never take cyttings from a plant in bloom keep an eye on it. That causes ALOT of stress to the budding plant i did it before n it turned hermie on me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. I originally disagreed, but changed it to informative because, I can't dispute your experience and am a relatively novice grower. However, I do take cuttings from flowering plants and have done so several times as late as week 7 without issue. The method of taking clones in flower, is called monster cropping. They produce some seriously bushy beasts.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I prefer to take cuttings from veg plants but have often taken ones from flowering plants up to 7 weeks and nobody went hermie. Cutting parts off pot plants is something they are well equipped to handle.

Every cannabis plant has the potential to grow opposite sex flowers and I've had males grow female flowers. That's just part of their survival strategy

Most early fem seeds were made from 'nanners that will sometimes emerge if a plant is left past it's harvest date and even a bit before as it tries to pollinate itself to continue the next generation.

The ones that are true hermies happen earlier in flower and look like normal male flowers or balls. 'nanners are just 'nanners and don't have the normal covering around their naughty bits.

It's in their genes and some are just more prone to go that way and no wonder with all the inbreeding that goes on to make vastly overpriced seeds with cutesy names to make them sound like the next best thing. Way more money to made off the seeds from one plant than the pot that plant would have produced had it not been seeded.

Stoner myths just seem to never die.

• Like Like x 1
  17. humens personality is hard to change. But can be incluenced by grow environment. :wave:

18. No - that wasn’t your question although my answers still stand - your question was, and I quote:

“Has my original plant changed from indica to sativa can that happen?”

J

19. It is possible for phenotype expression to vary among clones. Genetics cant change, but how existing genetics are expressed certainly can.

"Scientists have known for some time that 'clonal' (regenerant) organisms are not always identical: their observable characteristics and traits can vary, and this variation can be passed on to the next generation. This is despite the fact that they are derived from genetically identical founder cells."

Why plant 'clones' aren't identical