Can i top my plant with 3 nodes?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by betagamma, May 22, 2012.

1. Can i or do i HAVE to wait for 4 or 5 nodes?

2. Do you HAVE to, no. Should you, probably not.

But you will be fine doing it, however I would suggest waiting, if you have a few more leafs your plant will recover quicker and you will have a few more tops.

3. How long will it take for it to grow back after I top it?

4. I usually top or fim mine at the sixth node. You can top em earlier though as long as you have the start of branches you can top her. Everything slows down for a couple days on the top but the lower branches shoot up right away. They never completely stop growing. The top just slows down. Usually I'll top and a week later the tops are outgrowing the lowers so I'll pull her down to the side and let er grow sideways that way all the branches become colas

5. It's not gonna grow back. What it does is let those two branches become the tops. Instead of one cola you'll have two. Unless you tie her down. Then you'll have a shitload of main colas. I did it to one of my plants I called the golden ticket it now has thirty five or so main colas growing. That's not counting all the lower branches.

6. Stop bumping old threads just to highjack it. Your thread is only a few hours old, give it some time.

7. [quote name='"Budderball"']Stop bumping old threads just to highjack it. Your thread is only a few hours old, give it some time.[/quote]

Wasn't my intention...that was my first post ever...thought maybe since my thread didn't get a response as quick as id like I should go where ppl were already takn ab smthn similar n mayb theyd exchange with me...but alrite then GC police il try n keep frm jackn anythng else wile on my quest for mmj knowledge:D

8. Yeah, what Numbnutts said, he knows his stuff.
    I top mine at the 7th node pretty consistently but I've got plenty of headroom for when they stretch later. If you're in a microgrow or any arrangement where you dont have full ceiling height, then it helps to top sooner.
    Now, some people don't believe in leaf pruning, and as a general rule I don't either. but there's always exceptions. Whenever I'm starting a new plant, either from seed or clone, I train / leaf prune until I top it. Goes like this:
    Wait until the plant has 4 nodes, then counting from bottom, skip the first one.
    At the 2nd node remove one leaf = clip it about 1/2" out from the main trunk.
    At the 3rd node remove one leaf clockwise / on the other side of the plant.
    At the 4th, same, rotating same direction
    At the 5th, same
    Skip the 6th node.
    Top as the 7th node is opening it's tip. If you have more than one plant, top some & FIM some. Then never leaf prune again.
    This encourages the plant to begin sending out new branches at each node, and makes a world of difference in the shape & health of the plant.
    Every time I skip this, I end up with beanstalk looking plants with no side branching, and have to over-train later to recover. Makes you appreciate the growth patterns of squatty little Indica girls when you run into that.

Best of luck to you!