Can I start the flowering stage whenever?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by NorthernAutos, Dec 5, 2014.

1. #1 NorthernAutos, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2014
    So this is just a question for the future if I choose to grow some small plants again.

Could I start the flowering stage at whatever time/size I like? I would want to try flowering a month old plant around 1 foot tall to see how she produces

2. i see lots of ppl doing it so why not, 1 month is not bad man 

3. absolutely, you can start flowering whenever you want. At one month youre good.

Perfect, any chance you guys know the average time it takes until harvest after switching to 12/12? Dont think ill be buying autos again

5. #5 CANandProud420, Dec 5, 2014
    for my northern lights its 7.5 to 9 weeks, when you buy your seeds just look for strains flowering time to get an idea.

I keep seing 8 weeks average.

6. Sounds good!

7. #7 GoldGrower, Dec 5, 2014
    Most plants need to be about 3 weeks old before they are mature enough to flower. So a month is plenty. Indica dominant plants and most half/half hybrids will take 8-9 weeks of 12/12. Sativa dominant plants can take anywhere between 8-20 weeks but usually about 12-16 weeks 

8. Yeah I was doing my research and found a couple in between 8-10 weeks for flowering which look pretty tasty :p

When breeders state their flowering times they always state the earliest practical harvest time, not the  peak harvest time. You will likely need to run them 1-2 week longer than the stated times for best results

10. Good to know! And you seem to know what you're talking about so I have another question. When the weed goes into the jars after harvest for curing, Does that form more crystals or is it for drying the weed?

11. It's about slowly drying it. The amount of trichomes the plant has when it's cut down won't change

12. you can veg for as long as you wish too. strain research is your friend. so many strains out there that it is hard to get a solid answer from one site.

13. Neither.  It is for curing your ganja.  After it is dry to the touch, there is still a lot of moisture at the core.  When you put it in a jar (or other air tight container) you are wicking the moisture from the core via osmosis.  You then start the "burping" process in which you periodically open the jar and the the moisture evaporate again and again until it has been depleted to a cured level.  The fist 24 hours after it goes into a jar, it will fell wet to the touch again.  The longer you cure, the better the ganja.

14. That's not curing it man, that's just drying it. Curing takes place afterwards once you have the correct moisture level and you seal it up and let it age. And I don't want to sound too pedantic but it's not via osmosis, it's via capillary action

15. I don't agree with your statement at all.  It IS curing and osmosis is the action of moving water to where there isn't any.

Wait, are you growing an auto? If so, you don't switch the cycle, just let it stay on 18/6. Autos flower from time, not photoperiod.

17. curing is for upgrading your ganjas smell/taste as well as slow dry from what I hear I got 0 first hand experience, northern i dont want to jack your thread i got 1 small question.
    Yesterday i forgot i put my timer to off well my 2 girls in day 4 of flower and they ended up getting 18/6 for a day what are the consequences  for my mistake? 

18. You are correct sir,  I have cured some for over a year.  You can flower any time.  There is no need to, but you could sprout beans under a 12/12.

Giving them light when they are supposed to be sleeping is ALWAYS bad when they are in flower.  They just started to flower so hopeully you will be fine.

19. Currently I am growing auto's and this was just a thread for the future when I only buy fems. Im keeping the lights on 24/0 just because I dont have a timer, I know 18/6 or 20/4 would be better

haha no worries man

20. Thats not true, dam man just google osmosis definition, and capillary action definition