Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can I smoke while I have the flu?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by on99, Oct 16, 2009.

1. I have the flu, a bit of a sore throat and a dry cough. Can I smoke? I just want something to help me with sleep and appetite. Do you guys smoke when you were sick?

I don't have a vaporizer but what can help ease the burn? Will it make me sicker?

2. commen sense says that smoking anything will delay the healing of your throat and potentially make the situation worse. If your not to worried about the sore throat and more concerned with the sleep and appetite than hell yah, it will def help. load up a nice big bowl of indica and go at it.

3. smoking will hurt your throat but there is no other downside to it. if you can make a lightbulb vape, or you have a vape, it will be a lot smoother on the sore throat

4. Or a bong with hot tea (given about 5-10 minutes to cool in the cup) will make the hits nice and smooth and very clean which would be perfect for a flu.

I had a flu before I knew about this and smoked out of a pipe, it hurts a little when you're smoking but I definitely wouldn't say it made it worse or anything in anyway.

5. You can definitely smoke, just make sure you're aren't passing it to anybody else after you hit it, no need to spread your sickness to your stoner friends.

6. I would say, stop fiending u monster lol

But my stoner side would say

Ediables bro!
    If that's not ur bag then
    1. Vape
    2. Bong to calm your hits
    Or sure tea (suger/glucose free) to steam ur hits letting u breath better if ur conjested

Oh!!!!I always wanted someone to try this use a bong and throw 3-4 cough drops in it! See if they disolve. Anyway good luch with flu bru

7. don't smoke bro it really hurts and makes the healing process slower when your sick. I have some kind of virus thing with fever and all that, and i have a soar through. Just vaped and feel really good, no throat pains or anything.

If you have one or can make one i would suggest it, smoking really hurts when your sick. Really blazed so i dont know if this makes any sence.....

edit:

Oh and almost forgot, feel better man.

8. Well once I had really bad cough. And I thought fuck it smoke. I smoked and coughed up a lung along with a load of other shit in my lungs. And I felt better after :D

9. i'd say it'd be ok to smoke, but just try not to take a huge hit every time like when your trying to get really high. some kinda waterpipe would be best ... like a bong. just dont white wall the whole thing. just be carefull ... i imagine having a bad coughing fit with a soar throat would just make it worse or if not, then just hurt like hell.

instead of drinking something cold to sooth your throat afterwards, try hot tea or something hot. I love coffee after a sesh. peace and get well soon bro.

10. Cannabis helps fight the flu. Yes, you can smoke, and it may even be beneficial. Don't use a bong though, use a pipe or something where you take smaller hits, and try and cough as it clears the crap out of your lungs.

11. I always smoke when im sick.
    Helps me eat, sleep and not throw up..

Smoking is proably the best you can do instead of the medications.
    Just smoke to get lifted. Dont smoke to get retarded.
    Just get lifted.

12. #12 Stangfriik, Oct 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2009

How so?

Smoke is still smoke and does do damage to the lungs. If he has been diagnosed as having the real Influenza A virus, smoking wouldn't be advised as the flu easily makes its way into the respiratory system. Once this occurs, the transfer of O2 and CO2 is diminished due to the respiratory infection. Since proper transfer is already limited, introducing a foreign substance such as smoke would only prolong the healing process as the body is already fighting an infection. No need to give it something else to fight such a smoke.

13. erm,
    Doesn't THC suppress the immune system? I thought that dosing yourself with THC while sick prolongs the illness by hampering your immune system

14. Not sure what it would do physically, but i find when i smoke when ive got th flu or not feeling great it makes me feel better, i usually forget i have the flu and just sit minced watching tv. I recommend it :)

And keep in mind that Peter Tosh song 'Legalize It'
    "Its good for da flu..
    Good for athsma..
    Good for tuberculosis.." :)

15. #16 JesusGreen, Oct 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2009
    Cannabis shows promise as treatment for swine flu

Same goes for normal flu.

Edit: That was a bad choice of an article, but you can Google it for more info.

I've smoked with the flu, and miraculously all my symptoms were gone, and never returned. That's all the evidence I personally need of it helping, but there's plenty more available on the internet.

16. THC does not supress your immune system, but actually looks to do quite the opposite (no official studies of course).

I just had the flu actually and did not smoke on the worst day of it, but have been vapeing a couple times a day everyday since then and am back to normal. 1 day of being terribly sick, 2 days of head cold

17. i was sick for the past week as well and i had a bit of a sore throat. it didnt stop me from smoking a bowl and even a few cigs. it actually helped me feel better so i say yeah go toke up!

18. I just did the last three days and I am feeling great! I think its swine flu too but I haven't thrown up once, because I pretty much have been constantly high. I love it! :bongin::smoke::hippie: Oh and hydrocodone cough syrup goes great with it!

19. Was reading Gran Storm Crow's medical marijuana articles and a few mentioned THC supresses the immune system a bit :confused: