Can I pre treat soil for pests?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by brightgreen, Feb 8, 2011.

1. I've heard of people mixing mosquito dunks into the soil to prevent things like fungus gnat larvae from even becoming a problem.

I have some seedlings that need to be transplanted into their final pots and I have a small fungus gnat larvae problem in my flower room.

I used a low does of azamax to kill most of the larvae, but there are still a few moving around. I don't want to use any more azamax on my flowering plants, and I want to prevent spread to my clean seedlings when i move them to flower.

there are no flying gnats in the air, just larvae in the soil and a few that crawl up the plant stalks to the lower leaves. I've only found maybe a total of 10 on leaves though so they stick to the soil.

When I mix up my batch of coco for them could i mix in some neem or should i use a pesticide like azamax?

thanks in advance :D

2. i've heard of some people baking their soil in the oven, but to me, this seems like it could potentially kill off alot of the good bacteria and micro-organisms in the soil as well. i've never tried it myself, and i'm not sure if my assumption is correct, but it might be worth looking in to.

3. If people go in there back yard and get dirt they will bake it to kill things like gnat larva. I dont know how to treat a really bad gnat infestation, I took control as soon as I saw a problem. Its hard to treat in flowering plants because you dont want to damage your lil lady. How much longer do you have to harvest? Are the larve effecting groth of your plant? What soil are you in because larva feed off or organic material like bark and other crap that gets thrown in soil from the store. Once they fininsh they will have nothing to eat but your roots. Im not saying that they will save your roots for last.....just that ya fotta kill them. I have heard of putting some sand on the top layer of soil like 1/2in. or so to stop gnats from laying eggs in the soil.

4. i bake all my dirt for 10mins at 325 everytime i use new soil thats going into my flower room, and get some neem oil and mix in with a foilage sprayer and spray the new soil after its baked then plant, works for me anyways goodluck

5. Azamax says you can use it right upto harvest. I heard Pyrehrum works as a good repellent but you cant find it in California atleast I cat and the few online retailerrs i saw with it wont ship to CA.

6. whhhaaat, for real?? what is the ratio in your neem spray??

7. i use a spray bottle thats 550ml or 22oz, and i use 1-2teaspoons of neem-oil to the 550ml bottle then i shake really well and spray down the entire inside of the pot and then the outside as well as all the dirt then i plant and give the plant 1 final spray so i dont get any bugs and if i do see any bugs ill spray once a week till there gone hope that helps

8. The infestation is mostly in the plants that I have in only rockwool. We tried it this round and quickly realized that coco is best for us lol:eek:. The larvae are all in the spots where algae has managed to grow on the surface of the rock wool.

It seems the plants I have in rock wool are very stunted. they're about a foot and a half tall after a month of veg, although that might be because i went a little crazy with topping and they each have like 12 tops :p

I have about a month left on the plants with a heavy investion, and my main goal is to prevent the larvae from spreading from these to my new round when I move them from veg to flower.

If you guys don't think that mixing up some neem spray and spraying it over freshly expanded coco/perlite mix with hinder growth, then I'm going to plan on doing that

9. i use einstein neem oil can use all through veg and flower so im sure your safe

10. after planted, do you use the spray as a foliar application, or do you still spray the actual soil???

11. after its planted once a week i spray the soil pot and plant as a foliar just to be safe and keep the bugs away

12. Good call on the neem oil. Someone had told me to pick up neem oil once so i had it sitting around. I had gotten lady bugs and they seemed to have fixed my spider mite issue but i have gnats and have been fighting them from almost day one. My soil had a ton. I dont even know what i would bake my soil in if i were to go that route. Anyways. Immediately i saw the larva dying when i sprayed the soil!

13. I just take a cookie sheet and line it with tin foil and put the dirt on and bake, but i use neem oil once a week