Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can I make dabbable oil from alcohol tincture (boil off)?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by TotallyToked, Sep 4, 2016.

1. If I boil off/evaporate off the grain alcohol that I have a buncha tincture of (multiple oz. of flower went into the tincture), would I be able to safely dab the results? No harmful residues, etc?

If I just evap it off in a casserole dish, freeze it & scrape it, would that be a good way to do it?
    What consistency should I expect? A not very viscous liquid (once thawed)?

2. Yes, experiment in small batches.

Time/agitation will give you different quality/taste/color.

Freeze your alcohol and flowers, combine in a jar and shake. The greener the alcohol becomes the more chlorophyll you are pulling.

Some people say 30-45 seconds, I found that left to much trichs in the flowers and go for a longer time.

After your done shaking filter out the plant matter through a coffee filter.

Keep jar in freezer as it filters, the colder your alcohol stays through the entire process the better.

You can freeze the tincture for 24 hrs and filter again to de wax and clean it up again.

Pour into a Pyrex dish and double boil off the alcohol. You barely need and heat for the initial part.

Once you can tilt it on its side without and movement I like to use a toaster oven set at 140 to evap the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. I use a deep fat fryer and a big coffee mug. That way i can control the temperature and there is no flame.

4. I have done that method before for making edible oil and wondered the same thing. I later read that you should NEVER use that method if you want to vaporize it, aka use it to dab. I'm not sure why, but I've heard it can cause negative complications with your lungs such as pneumonia.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. I have done that method before for making edible oil and wondered the same thing. I later read that you should NEVER use that method if you want to vaporize it, aka use it to dab. I'm not sure why, but I've heard it can cause negative complications with your lungs such as pneumonia.

6. Whoever wrote what you read was probably talking about isopropyl alcohol and even that is completely harmless since you evaporate it out. Some people are overly cautious and since they don't know any better that's probably good.
    I evaporate my QWISO in thin sheets on a seed starter mat and it sometimes comes out a shatter consistency and sometimes pull and snap which I prefer. After the alcohol is gone, if it's still runny and gooey it probably has moisture in it. That's the reason I evaporate in thin sheets as when it gets really thick it traps moisture and maybe some alcohol. I like my pan to have a layer of oil about as thick as a good coat of paint, about .75gm for a 11X13 pan. There's a lot of ways to do it and I've tried many of them, this works best for me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I use isopropyl alcohol 100%, its on eBay for £15ish for 5 litres.

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 TotallyToked, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Thanks for the info guys.
    Yeah this was made with grain alcohol and nothing else (decarbed in oven, but didn't add any lecithin or anything else).

I'll try a small batch in a pyrex/glass casserole dish.
    Any particular tools I'll need to harvest it once its done? Was thinking freezing it (after its done evapping the alcohol off) and then just peeling with a butter knife or something would be fine? Or a metal spatula-type thing?
    (I imagine it would take forever with the tiny head of my dab tool...)

Started about 1 fl oz of tincture (containing ~15g of flower, which oversaturated it by a good bit) in a large casserole dish. Covered maybe 1/6th-1/4th of the dish when I just poured it in, I shook the dish up a bit and got it fully covered. I think it will evap nicely.

Do I need to worry about (artificial) light hitting it? I'm evapping in my basement (no sunlight), but there are lights on when I'm down here (often). For now I've mostly covered the dish with opaque cardboard, leaving a little room for gas to escape, but this will slow things down a bit.
    I'm guessing exposing to artificial light for a total of maybe 5-8 hours wouldn't hurt it much? (If not, future batches will be a bit easier)

9. Scrape with a razor blade, easiest when it's warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. I never had luck vaping it, eating it yes. Idk why, makes no sense to me but thats my limited experience.

11. Because it's been decarbed I'm afraid your oil is going to be gooey or runny. Let us know how it turns out

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yeah it is pretty goopy. Was going to post and ask if it is safe to vape, or if I need to try to dry it out more.

Here is a picture of the dish after it had evapped for 24 hours (pre-harvest). I'm holding it vertically; the oil is gummy but quite sticky & viscous. It didn't run at all, but I can stir it in the little silicone pouch I collected it into. If I turn the pouch upside down though it isn't liquidy enough to fall out (unless I left it upside down for a few minutes).

[​IMG]
    EDIT: not sure why it won't show up... image link: https://s16.postimg.io/63dfdqwgl/IMG_20160908_195533.jpg
    Gonna try a couple hits of it and see how it smokes.
    If it goes well I'll start another batch; got LOTS of tincture to convert. But yeah its all decarbed...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Smokes nice; neutral taste with a hint of stale popcorn almost, but not quite.
    Worked just fine :hola:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Though it does seem to leave more residue than the shatter does; I'm dabbing it at the same temps, but when I go to reheat the nail there is a whole lot more burn-off (based on size & duration of flame) than there is with shatter.

Is that ok/expected?

15. That means it isn't burning clean, the leftover is probably plant matter and stuff that came through when making your hash

16. Yeah I just got a lot more (maybe 5x as much as before) out of the next fl oz I put. Didn't have a razor the first night so I used a pastry scraper, it was barely adequate and I left a lot behind. I got the remains though cause I reused the dish to evap the next batch.

I've changed my mind on the taste--its mildly gross, like AVB almost, with a hint of something else non-pleasurable that I can't place. But pretty mild taste, thankfully.
    Unfortunate given how much of this I want to convert... I have something like another 8-12 more fl oz waiting, and already I have more material than ~3 g of shatter would take up.

Though as you noted, some is plant matter that doesn't vaporize. Which I wish I read before I took a big ol hit today... too big, it overflowed the cup of the nail when it started boiling, and also left behind enough (clearish, thin, like after a wax hit that doesn't fully burn off) fluid to come to the edge of the cup. When I heated the nail back up, I got a flame almost the size of a half-way blown up balloon. I saw a crust form & break in the nail, and ash went everywhere... pretty gross.

17. So right now it is in a silicon pouch container
    that has 6 maybe 1tbsp sized cups, and one bigger cup (maybe 2.5 tbsp)
    Its spread across 2 of the 1tbsp cups (taking up most of one, and maybe 1/3rd of another)

Would I need to take the harvested stuff back out of it and smear it on a larger surface area to evap more?
    Can I just leave it open to the air and stir it every now and then, wait like a week, stirring a few times a day?
    Or should I just ditch these, and let the next batch sit out in the casserole dish for a couple days instead of just 24 hours, and see how much of a diff it makes?

Also, if I wanted to flavor this stuff so it didn't taste so nasty, is there a good vape-safe mint flavor I can get online somewhere? Would it make the mix too liquidy if I mixed that into the oil?

18. Nope just a regular toaster. I have a hotplate that I use to concentrate tincture (boil off in large mason jars). I have a gas stove. I have a microwave. I have lighters and a butane torch.
    Those are my heat sources.