can i install a 430 watt hps blue spetrum on a 400 watt lamp ballast?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by texasmoker, Oct 8, 2011.

1. any help would be great i am a absolute beginner i know there is a 1000,600,400 watt lamp so hit me up..

2. There are ballasts that have an extra setting, if you don't have the max setting, it's not going to be a good match...but the bulb will work but will not have the maximum rated amount of lumen's present.

a Regular 400 is good. I actually flower under two of these, an HPS and a MH, located exactly side by side. But I used the 400hps on it's own for many many many harvests and have always opted for the cheep bulbs and changing them on time. 1000bulbs.com is a good source for bulbs. My first HPS was a 150, and I used it for years...people tend to try and get the 'best' and they really don't know what that is, same with size numbers. Get what you have the capasity to redistribute the heat from only, so if the place is small, smaller light; you can't run big bulbs in small spaces without know how and some risk.

The 'lighting forum' is a good place to learn about lighting here. In 'set up and design' i think.

3. thanks for taking the time to respond.. i will take your advice and get more informed