can I grow in peatmoss+perlite?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jasem, Jan 22, 2019.

1. I am so fuckin tired of soil. The cleanest soil that I have found here in garden shops is a combination of lumy sand and vermicompost, which I mix with perlite, havent had the best results in growing so far.
    I am tired of it, I wonna see If peatmoss would work out any better.
    I don't wonna switch to coco. I did it once and it was a pain in the ass watering/feeding ever day.
    PPl say peatmoss doesnt contain any nutrients, well isn't coco the same? Shouldn't not containing nutrients not be a problem since I am using fertilizers?
    Also, some says it is acidic, doesnt peatmoss have the same buffering feature of soil? like, isn't the only determining factor regarding the PH is the ingoing water/nuts PH?
    On my peatmoss bag it says PH ranges form 5/5 to 6/8.
    I was thinking of mixing 70% peatmoss+ 30% perlite for the next grow. what do y'all think?

2. There's a few guys on here that have grown in straight perlite and sworn they'll never go back

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  3. Is planting in peatmoss that rare and ridiculous really?

4. Growing in peatmoss is not rare - most growers use ProMix HP for their peat and add 30% perlite like you plan. I have never used it so I can't comment on pH or feeding schedule even though it's soilless and drain to waste hydroponics like coco. I don't know for sure but I imagine the feeding would be frequent like coco. If you're looking for less work you might want to stick with soil - dtw requires work for good success unless you rig some kind of automatic drip system. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Like Mick said!

I've grown plenty in peat + perlite. Same rule as coco, ~30% perlite + DTW, don't advise recirculating* and add some dolomite lime too as the peat becomes very acidic later on. That can be a good thing if your tap water is sitting at ~7, but really you need to monitor the runoff (with peat).

Oh Mick I needing advice from you soon bud!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Promix hp is what most people I know use.

I use it right out of the bag I don’t add anything. Some people add more perlite the more you add the more you water.

Treat it like soil. Water feed water feed ph6.3 water to runoff and you shouldn’t have much issues

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  7. Yes it will work just fine, in fact it's a very common root medium to use. Bagged "composts" here in the UK are usually just peat moss and added slow release fertiliser pellets. Peat free composts are becoming more common because they are more environmentally friendly, but peat based composts are still the most common by far

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Try looking up Hempy Bucket grow. 3:1 perilite to vermiculite. A lot of people also go straight perilite. I’ve grown monsters with the setup and taught a few to do the same. It’s one of my preferred methods because it’s really forgivable on mistakes like over watering or over feeding. It’s porbably one of the simplest methods imho but for some reason a lot of people want to over complicate it and so they deviate from the original method.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Look into something like the no-till method in the organics section. For examples of things to add naturally if you wish.

Peat moss and perlite will have nothing in nutritional value for your plants so you’ll have to add one thing or another..

Guess you’ll have to decide on if you want to go with the bottle method or something else. Other than that it’s pretty straight forward and easily doable.

Good luck

Sent from a lost garden Grasscity Forum

10. Guys non of this branded products are available in my country. Just pure peat moss(not enriched mixes), which is imported from Hungary I think.
    All I have read regarding this grow medium issue in the last year has confused me more and more. you guys are confusing me further.
    Unfortunately none of this products such as Promix and this mix or that mix exist here. They have cacti soil, perlite, peatmoss, vermicompost, coco and shitty potting soil here in the garden shops. That is it.

I'll mix 70 peat+ 30 perlite and I'll treat it like soil and feed it with bottled liquid fertilizers. hope it works.

• Like Like x 3
  11. feed it everyday to 30% runoff and monitor ph. put a lil dolomite lime in the peat.
    Good Luck

12. Tnx for the advice.some other friends are suggesting to treat it like soil. still confused.

13. That's pretty much what I do, I add nutrients to an ec value of 1.6 s/cm (800ppm) on every watering when they're growing vigorously. I very rarely have problems

In my bed I did add some seaweed, worm casts, and volcanic rock dust just to make sure it has enough trace minerals and a top up on nitrogen because I leave my roots in the bed when I harvest, and when these rot they tie up nitrogen until they have fully broken down.

When I'm vegging and growing autos I just use the peat in pots

14. So you also feed and water every day? like coco?
    All I can add to it is vermicompost. Does it make any difference?like, after adding compost, would it not become like soil in terms of how you feed/water it? cuz you know, it contains nutrients within itself after adding composts right?

See the thing about indoor growing in the 3rd world is that the concept of pro-soil or sophisticated enriched mix doesn't really exist here. Kelp meal, sea weed, guano,volcanic rock etc are considered super super fancy stuff. Every indoor weed grower that I know here either gets the soil directly from jungles in my province which are full of insects and disease or goes full hydroponic.

15. Oh no, definitely not every day, I'd drown my plants in no time. That goes for coco too. I only water when the soil has properly dried out

You don't have to add anything except bottled nutrients if they are complete and balanced. I add a few things because I reuse my soil for years and I feel micro nutes may become used up. As long you have good nutes it should provide everything

Adding some worm casts won't make any difference to how you water or feed it
    I don't know what pro soil is. Most commercially bagged soils/composts are really just peat with a few added extras. Some have a coco base now as using peat has negative environmental impacts.

What country are you in ?

• Like Like x 1
  16. #17 Bravedave, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    I know Europe has done bad things with their bogs and some try to point to that big fire I think in the Philippines to add a little horror to their story,,, But Canada not only has a shitload of Peat bogs but they manage them. In an environmentally sound manner. I want to say there are like 300 million acres of Peat bog in Canada and only like 60 thousand acres are used in harvesting. The industry and the product is just fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. I live in Iran.
    I have some vermicompost at hand. what ratio do u suggest for mixing peat, vermicompost and perlite?

So if I mix vermicompost with the medium I still have to fertilize it every time I water it?
    Shouldnt I lower the dosage of bottled fertilizers considering that there is already nutes in the medium?
    If I understand correctly, peatmoss and coco are interchangeable in this type of mix, correct?

18. Oh wow your English is excellent

I only added a bit to mine to boost my nitrogen content because I know that decaying roots will hold on to nitrogen for some time. I don't know if you are going to do the same. I have a soil bed and it's not dug or changed. I simply cut the stems off at the soil level and plant the next plant next to it, I let the roots compost down
    [​IMG]

I just dumped a layer of a couple of inches on top of the soil /peat. You definitely still have to use bottled nutes unless you use a lot of worm casts

It's not really interchangeable, if you use coco you should use nutrients which are designed for coco. Standard soil nutrients will be fine with peat as its pretty standard to have peat in commercial soil /composts

• Like Like x 1
  19. You do NOT have/want to feed a 70/30 peat mixture every day. Promix adds a wetting agent and I actually add a bit of clay kitty litter to my peat but even without the extras watering would be every 2-3 days in a peat 70/30 .

• Like Like x 4