Can I grow dank with just really good soil and some perlite?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Newbez, Apr 1, 2013.

1. I've got seeds and I'm planning to do an outdoor grow (hopefully in around 2 weeks time if the weather has gotten better here in the UK). I'm a complete beginner and this will be my first time.
    I've done research into the various types of soil I can buy and I found one called Canna Bio Terra Plus. I've heard nothing but good things about this soil and it seems pretty high end in terms of quality and price (price isn't a issue for me though). I've also been recommended numerous times to use perlite or vermiculite with the soil in combination (I'm still unsure of which to use, there seems to be a split opinion amongst growers and to be honest, I'm not too sure what the difference is between the two).
    So going back to my original question, is it possible to grow some dank with just soil and perlite. And as a secondary question, which should I get, perlite or vermiculite? And what is the main difference between the two??
    Thanks.

2. Here is my answers in reverse order:

Perlite - A volvanic glass with High permeability and low water retention.
    Vermiculite - A form of clay related to mica with medium water holding capacity (I believe this depends on the size), it also has a high cation exchange capacity and can buffer nutrients with positive charges (Ca+, Mg+, NH4+, K+ etc.)

Depends on what you want to do...

Yes you can grow dank with just soil and perlite, but I am not sure what your goals are.