Can I change my light cycle from 24\0 to 18\6?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Ganjalovin, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Hey im a first time grower and I have had my lights on 24\0 on my new seedlings. I was wondering if i could change my light cycle to 18\6. My plants have been sprouting for 8 days now and are showing more and more leaves. If i changed there light cycle would it cause them stress or have any negative side affects?

2. Not a problem at all. Light cycles can be erratic while vegging, as long as the days are longer than the nights, the plant will tend to not produce buds unless it is an autoflowering strain. Flowering light cycles need to be more rigid though.

3. 18/6 is a more natural light cycle anyway, it shouldnt stress them at all

4. Why would you cut the light cycle down? Your plants will not grow in the dark, you are cutting a quarter of the growth time. Unless your trying to cut electrical costs, keep them growing vigorously. I know some won't agree with this, but it is true.

5. you can run whatever cycle you'd like, but more light = more growth as ironlung stated. I'm also a first time grower and i use 18/6 for cost, my plants are growing fine.

6. I changed mine recently from 18/6 to 24/0 and added 2 CFls its growing much much faster now and i dont need a timer.

7. Keep it on the 24 hours of light... If electric is a concern, have dark period for 6 hours and just turn lights back on for 18.

8. Electric costs were not my concern, i have read that 18/6 cycled plants will show their sex sooner and more pronounced. Is that true?

9. I don't think that is necessarily true. Plants show their sex when they have reached maturity. Plants will likely reach maturity quicker under 24 hour light. The switch to 12/12 will be less stressful if switching from 18/6, but even from 24 hour light, the switch to 12/12 isn't very stressful at all, not even as much as topping.

10. NEVER NEVER NEVER do anything but 24-0 this is not nature you do not need a light cycle for cannabis in the vegging stage, anyone who tells you differently is just plain wrong and hasnt done any real research.