can I bring my plants inside to avoid a gathering storm

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by forty winks, Sep 27, 2013.

1. We are expecting a big wind and rain storm for Saturday and I'm going to be away for the entire day.  I'd like to bring them into the basement and keep them by the french doors so as not to disturb their light pattern, while protecting them from the huge storm.  I don't think I can protect them from both high wind and rain at their current location.

Is there a correct way of doing this?  I worry about temp fluctation.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.

2. forty winks,

If it's to the point that bad weather might destroy you entire season's crop IMHO, temp fluctuation is the least of your worries. 
    So what if the temp isn't perfect?

If you can save your crop, go for it. Heavy rains and wind can not only physically damage plants, it can easily set you up for mold that leads to bud rot. You didn't say whether you were in flower - I'm guessing like most people here you are a few weeks into flower nad pehaps close to finishing.

If you're worried about humidity and temps in your basement, I'm sure being there for a day or two or three would not really hurt your plants. If you are very close to finishing, maybe leaving them in a dark basement would help fatten up your buds a bit.

Good luck.

Peace.

Jules

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks Jules.  Our basement's above ground and I also have a dehumidifier!  Cheers.

4. Be careful if your humidifier puts out a lot of heat - that hot dry air can do damage too.  Also, the humidifier I have was just recalled for a full refund - you might want to see if yours is on the list at http://www.greedehumidifierrecall.com/ProductEntry.aspx  Works out well for me since I rarely use it and all I had to do for the refund is send the cord back.  I think I might use the  compressor and heat exchanger to make a chiller.  Good luck with the storm.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks for the warnings, xdog.

Good luck and a bountiful harvest to you!

Jules

7. You wouldn't happen to live in the PNW would you? I live in Western Oregon and it looks like a big storm Saturday and Sunday. I brought my plants into a greenhouse, but I still am dealing with Bud rot. I've got 2 weeks to harvest and I hope I have something left.