Can HPS light be used in any socket like CFL?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by WeaveAndWish, Feb 13, 2012.

1. title says it. I'm not sure which one I want to use. I've heard CFL isn't really desirable as it cause not so much yield and weak stems. But, it can be used in any socket so it's pretty flexible.

But I want to use HPS as I've heard it's a good all-rounder light for the entire growth cycle. But I'm not sure if it takes a special socket. If it does, I'm not even sure how I would plug this light up over my grow..

2. Hps lights cannot just go in any socket, they require special sockets and ballasts which can get quite expensive.
    They also put off a bit of heat which is why CFL's are more desirable and manageable.

3. I don't think CFL's are very desirable for grow quality, maybe price wise.

But is it possible to be caught by a helicopter with like a 1000 watt HPS?

4. Which socket are you talking about? The bulb socket the bulb screws into, or the wall socket you plug the cord in?

5. Well I assume the wall socket would be the same, but I'm referring to the socket you would plug the bulb into.

6. I wouldnt worry about a helicopter recognizing heat discharge for 1000 watts.

Actually, wasnt thermal imaging of peoples houses to find grow ops considered invasion of privacy?

Amd the price honestly isnt much different, you could get a 250w hps for about the price of the cfl's and power strips they'd require, i realized this after constructing my first box.

And no, it needs a ballast to screw in to.

7. You cannot stick an HPS bulb into a regular socket. It will not physically fit into a regular socket. You need a mogul E39 socket. And it has to be powered by a ballast.

8. Oh hey haha.

So that's all it needs, right? And what about the wall socket. It just uses a standard plug in? Also, say I want to start with 2 plants just go get the hang of it but later want to do 4. Can I use a 400 watt HPS for the 2 plants in say a PC tower so that I could later light 4 plants without paying for another light or would that be to much for two plants.

And what kind of box did you make?

9. Okay wait, is the socket not in the ballast? Sorry, I literally am a complete beginner at this.

10. Here is what an HPS setup looks like. You got the big ole ballast on the right and the reflective hood with the socket attached on the left. The socket in the hood will have a cord that will plug into the ballast. The ballast will have another cord that will plug into your wall socket.
    [​IMG]

11. Are all ballasts that big? That looks like a damn generator lol. what if I'm only putting an HPS light into a PC tower for a micro grow?

12. Yea an hps in a tower case will not work. Go with cfls for a micro grow. you can still pull off a decent yield with cfls.

13. Okay, but if I decided to not do the PC tower and just do like two plants, would a 400 watt hps be to much?

14. [quote name='"WeaveAndWish"']

Oh hey haha.

So that's all it needs, right? And what about the wall socket. It just uses a standard plug in? Also, say I want to start with 2 plants just go get the hang of it but later want to do 4. Can I use a 400 watt HPS for the 2 plants in say a PC tower so that I could later light 4 plants without paying for another light or would that be to much for two plants.

And what kind of box did you make?[/quote]

400w could easily cover 4 plants or more, and its like 5 * 6 * 6 (feet) its basically a room. The structure is done but we have wiring, venting, painting, flex sealing, and lighting to finish up. Probably be done by the weekend and then i'll have an hps ordered and starting of a new grow journal for around 9 plants or more! Less than $350 for everything, including all the wood.

15. How much would it cost for a cfl system for 2 plants in a pc tower? I don't know what you mean by power strip as I thought you could screw a cfl into anything.

16. You'll probably need one of those power strips with like 6 sockets to connect the bulbs, as you'll need around 6 bulbs, and you can usually get 1 bulb per 2 outlets on a power strip, due to the bulb being too wide if that makes sense. If you check out my grow (last post with pictures in it) that may help you see what i'm talkin about

17. so you would need two power strips?

18. ALso, how did that grow go? Looks pretty simple and easy to do.

19. I'd say 2 strips, and decent only had 1 female of 3, its going in the inception room though as soon as its done being made, its in the early stages of flower (pure sativa it takes forever, horrible for a micro grow imo)

On my mp3 player, please excuse grammar and spelling.

20. I notice you only had 3 bulbs going there. Would 3 work out? I'm not sure I could fit 6 bulbs in a pc tower haha.