Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can a cop make you open a locked box?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Trevo4311, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Ok so my friend was telling me that if you have a lock on your glove compartment or like a safe or something, and a cop gets probable cause to search you, they aren't aloud to open or make you open the lock. Any truth behind this?

2. yea they need a warrent same with the trunk i believe

3. what linux said, assuming jay-z was right in his song.

4. I dunno but if they needed to get a warrant to open a safe what if you had another safe inside of it? Would they need to get another warrant?

5. i believe they would need a warrant for every locked item they wanted to have opened. someone correct me if im wrong

6. That, my friend, is a very good question.

7. They're supposed to get a warrant, but they won't.

8. thats what you call illegal search an seizure then its easy to get the case thrown out:hello:

9. Arent they allowed to open the box if they have probably cause. Like your drunk or something. I was caught hotboxing my car infront of school and when the cops came they searched my whole car for drug paraphenilia.

10. ha ha like a medical seizure lol that would be a funny sight

11. haha wow dude.. no seizing something is taking it.. so if a cop takes your shit illegally after conducting an illegal search, its called illegal search and seizure. he wasnt suggesting that the guy have a seizure to get ouf of the ticket... lol

12. Not so much with locked boxes, there have been many, many court cases about it, different outcomes in them.

Your on school property, what the fuck are rights???

13. #13 hobobob, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2009
    no when they get a warrant they say what they are looking for on it, when the judge signs it they can search everything you own, your house, your car, your boat, your wifes car, and even your girlfriends house that you pay for.

nope.

this is probably what will happen, when you do shit like that it pisses cops off.

no its not, the cops will probably just throw the safe out and say they saw it under your seat.

funny shit.

14. cops can do anything they want

15. Burst my bubble but I guess it was for the better.

16. Can't a cop say that you consented to a search?

Your word against his...

I think there should be more laws FOR cops. They get PAID BY THE PEOPLE to not fuck with innocent individuals. Yet, they still can do whatever they want(including murder) and get a paid vacation as punishment. I can't wait until a group/groups of people in each town get so pissed off that they will hold monthly cop killing rallies:devious::D

17. from: Criminal Law: Arrest and Evidence FAQ - Lawyers.com

Edit-Haven't found anything that mentions anything about anything locked, so either it doesn't matter or I haven't found it yet.

18. Unless you're in hick town where they do what the want and the judge is the cop's cousin and uncle

19. If you were carrying something like a camera bag and a cop asked to search you, what would happen if you said,"This is my camera bag officer, as you see I keep camera equipment in here", and then opened your bag to pull out a camera but leaved several compartments closed - would that basically give your consent to the officer and permit a search?

What if I said, "You do not have my consent to a search", but took out several items to show him what was in your bag?

Would that, in principle, be consenting to a search despite the obvious verbal statement?

20. isnt there something called probable cause (cant remember the real name) where if anything illegal is in line of sight they have the ability to arrest, search and seize without a warrant?