Can a clone turn into a hermie?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by rezonator, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Yes that is my question, can a clone taken from a plant pre flower which turned out to be a female turn into a hermie? Anyone experienced this before?

2. i dont see why not, im not experienced or anything, but from all the doc/books ive read, a plant can go hermie if you shock it into flowering mode, it goes hermie as a survival measure.

3. Hmmm, well that's not good. I'll check with my buddy again in a few days and see how it develops, poor guy has a bunch of clones from the same plant kept under identical conditions, hope they are not all hermied. That's a lot of time and effort down the tubes if so.

Thanks for the reply

4. as long as he leaves it in the vegitative state long enough, it should be fine. remember, i said im no expert, im about to grow my first plant. but from all the doc's ive read, if the plants are forced into flowering too soon, they can go hermie as a survival plan. if anyone else on here wants to back me up on this, and verify myself and rezonator.

5. yes, crash is right, a clone can go hermie if you piss it off. not personally sure about if its forced into flowering to soon, cause i myself and several others i know only give our clones three weeks of veg before flowering(not including time to root). to a lot of people this is a very short veg time and wont produce as much as a longer veg'd plant, but with the way my set-up works i get plenty ;). i myself just did a experiment where i intentionally shocked a clone. what i did was it was aero-misted its entire life, left to veg longer then others. so the clone itsself was used to always being fed, or having the availability of nuts at its disposal. then i took it and transplated it and put it with my mother which is only fed 3 times a day. needless to say it apparently didnt like that one at all because it turned into a hermi. i was upset at first but then i looked to my right and saw 14 more clones flowering into beautiful female buddski's. hope that helps!

6. All info is good info folks. It wasn't forced into flower early or anything like that, it's been growing for... I don't know probably 1 1/2 months at least as a clone. The worry was that originally it was outside in natural light, then brought inside for 24/0 of light, then 18/6, and a few times it got mixed up ie, some days 24 others 18, others maybe none, (carelessness) so it was more the irregular light schedule that was the concern. I'll get an update later and see what it looks like, neither of us have seen a hermie before, but it sure looked like it had balls with the hairs.... no shortage of jokes is there ;-). At least now I know it's possible, I guess a real trick would be to take a clone from a hermie and grow a beautiful female plant! Bet that person would get all kinds of rewards!

7. found this online, hope it helps.
    [​IMG]

8. I purchased a whitewidow / colorado bud clone from a dispencary for $40. It was about 7 inches tall until I vegged it for over 1 month. I built a sealed room and purchased some co2. I then the put the beautiful plant in the room along with some other clones I had purchased. The other two plants are doing fine but after about 8 days of flowring, the whitewidow/colorado bud had seed sacks all over it. (mostly the top buds).. So I had the same question but didn't post it. How come my other plants in the same room be doing great, then all in the sudden this one plant hermied up? I removed the plant from my grow room.......but it sure is mind boggling.

Peace
    Dirty

9. how spread out were the grow spots in your room?? were they all under the same lights exactly??

10. the plant on the right with the Big leaves is the one I am talking about.

I learn chit everyday on this site, I guess you should only move your plant 1/4 inch at a time so you don't shock it. Or maybe the light, co2, or sudden movement shocked just this one plant? I have no clue. I removed the plant from the room though..:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

this is only my second grow :confused:

11. i havent the slighest clue. again, lol, im no expert. im just starting my first grow, my 1st plant has just started to peek through the soil today. :D i feel like a proud parent... LOL

12. Good info going on here guys. Maybe one of the experts will chime in and help the newer folks with some of their wisdom? Seems to be a demand for answers on this one. That picture was very helpful, not sure if it was exactly what I saw (which is why it was helpful :)) gives a nice clear picture of what to expect. The one I was looking at just started to bud, only be in 12/12 for around 15 days or so, but it just didn't look normal. The balls as we expect were forming around the base of the stem adjacent to the leaves, not in the internodes which was why we were suspect of them. But like I said Ill have another look maybe tomorrow and see what has grown. If I have learned and taught, don't panic, it may all be okay, let it ride for a bit and see what happens.

Good stuff, thanks for the info all.

13. Simple...........I purchased a male clone from a dirty dispencary!

14. #14 __black_water__, Oct 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2009
    my last crop went hermie on me... during the process i was way too pissed off to be taking pictures and documenting the whole thing, which i regret, but i did a lot of research while i was in pain. i never got a very solid answer until i said screw the forums, i'm buying one of those overpriced books in the hydro store. this book is from '98 so some of the info seemed a little outdated compared to what i've heard countless times on many forums, BUT it did have a reallyy good section on hermies, and what will happen with the seeds should you choose to finish the plant. the main cause of a plant going hermie is stress; the leading stressor is light patterns. and that is exactly what i think caused my last plants to go hermie... too much light during the dark cycle. it's a long story but light was coming in from my vegging section, and i was always going in to look at the plants and show friends if the lights had already gone off: veryy bad for the plants. these repeated flashes of light is all it takes.. if i remember correctly one a night or one every couple of nights, as little as turning the light on and off, will ruin the crop. keep those plants dark, and try to keep their lighting schedules consistent. hope that helped, and ill do a non-religious pray that your/your buddy's plants dont go hermie.

EDIT: also a severe pruning job on the plant is reason enough for it to switch/mix sexes. i did that too :( mixed with the light flashes, constant night light from the veg chamber, and the severe pruning... i got to harvest 8 oz. in the end but i really screwed myself out of an extra 6 oz of dope, and the final product was less potent as a result of the hermie switch. you do end up with some weed, full of seeds (unless you clip the male pollen sacs as they grow). watch out, hermies are a killer!

15. Re: "the main cause of a plant going hermie is stress; the leading stressor is light patterns. and that is exactly what i think caused my last plants to go hermie... too much light during the dark cycle."

I would take that on step further, ZERO LIGHT during 'lights out" at 12/12, NONE! :wave:

16. lol i think you misread that...

regardless, at the end of that paragraph is the following: "keep those plants dark", but thanks anyway for your 2 cents.

17. You know what I'm wondering guys is this plant that I'm talking about has been in flower for two weeks now, and I'm not seeing much in the way of flowers at all. I was over last night and those things that we thought were pollen sacs now have little white hairs sticking out of them... but there is really nothing else. I mean in two weeks of 12/12 there should be a good set of white hairs right? What I see is bulging sacs with white hairs, but nothing on the new growth, no growing buds, nothing. Strange for two weeks no? I've been assured that 12/12 is 12/12 ie no light during the dark time, so how can it take so long for a plant to really show what it is, or is this a symptom of something else? Feeding on FN bloom, everything else is totally healthy, totally beautiful green, healthy, growing... but no decent looking female flowers. I don't know what to suggest as he is doing everything right as far as I can tell... wish I had snapped a picture but didn't have my camera. Maybe I'll try that next time in the next few days... bloody short term memory :)

18. hmm don't know what to tell you there... it could be genetics, but still, 2 weeks is a long time. my plant now was showing its first hairs in 4-5 days, which was a couple days ago, and growth is usually pretty explosive after that from what i've ever seen. keep us posted