Calvin Coolidge appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Politics' started by LSYouTiger, Jul 30, 2012.

1. This guy, in my opinion, is the greatest president to ever live, but no one really knows about him. Coolidge allowed for the Roaring Twenties to happen. He hated regulations and one biographer stated "The regulatory state under Coolidge was thin to the point of invisibility."

He also understood state and federal government rights:

He believed taxes should be lowered and fewer people had to pay them, and he did just that with The Revenue Act of 1924, and there was more Acts in 26 and 28. He was also able to spend less and got rid of 1/4 of the federal debt.

State and local governments saw great increases in tax revenue that surpassed the federal budget.

He was not an isolationist but he didn't approve of overseas affairs.

Calvin Coolidge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It makes sense to look at the times of greatest economic growth and see how it happened. The 20s became the roaring twenties and Coolidge played a huge part by shrinking government and lowering taxes.

He really should be the model for the republican party, he is better reagan for damn sure.

2. I like Coolidge for the most part, definitely better than Reagan. With that said, he did allow for the Fed fueled inflationary period of the '20s, which led to the crash of '29 and the Great Depression. I don't really blame him though, it was mainly New York Fed President Benjamin Strong and Secretary of Commerce Hoover who are most to blame, but Coolidge did go along with it so he has to share some of the responsibility.

As far as fiscal policy I agree he was good, there hasn't been any President close to that good since, but he failed on monetary policy.

3. I'm doing a little research, any specific legislation on what you speak?

4. The Fed doesn't need legislation to fuck up the economy they just print tons of money and cause inflation.

5. Legislation is required for them to print money.

6. im actually semi related to him through marriage. my grandmas husband's (never met him) sister, was mrs. calvin coolidge. somehow i still know next to nothing about his presidency.

7. I did a report on this guy in the 6th grade. Still remember.

"Although Coolidge was known to be a skilled and effective public speaker, in private he was a man of few words and was therefore commonly referred to as "Silent Cal." A possibly apocryphal story has it that Dorothy Parker, seated next to him at a dinner, said to him, "Mr. Coolidge, I've made a bet against a fellow who said it was impossible to get more than two words out of you." His famous reply: 'You lose.'"

8. I take the Calvin Coolidge memorial highway to work and back every day.

9. Do you know who he is, what he has done, and how his actions affect our lives today?