Calling all Vegetarians

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by decrimbud, Feb 18, 2009.

1. #41 decrimbud, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2009
    Yea, I've been a vegetarian since I was 15, so only 3 years but still I love it. I think that my body is a lot healthier without meat than with it, and did you know (meat eaters) that the human body is not designed to eat meat, it is naturally homnivourous (or however you spell it) haha.

2. I'm a meatarian!

3. #43 Tuk2, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2009
    Been a vegetarian for roughly 12+ years, since I was a wee lad. Everybody in my immediate family is one so its much better when there isnt a dead animal anywhere in the house. The thought of chewing and swallowing another livings things blood, flesh, and BODY PARTS is just about the most repulsive thing I can think of. But, a huge staple of my diet is dairy, looove me some cheese. I also live off Morningstar farms and Boca products. Mom makes every tofu dish imaginable, and I dont like that stuff. Watching my friends eat ribs/chicken sandwhich/whatever is just about the most barbaric, mindless thing ever. They tend to think "this is the way things were and are, and they taste good in my mouth dammit, so they can continue to be raised by the millions, treated inhumanely their whole lives, and then have their throats cut....no skin off my back- just food in my belly"

4. #44 Goldmine, Feb 20, 2009
    it is really mindless, but i can see how people do it. youre born into this ridiculous system, and it becomes hardwired into your brain. if the dairy council tells your mom and her mom and her mom that milks good for you, odds are youre going to grow up beliving it. same with meat. i ate meat every single day for 25 years, and never once thought about what i was doing. not once. i was too worried about all the other shit that goes on in this life to consider my diet.

i think a lot of people will come around though, we just have to show them a good example. vegans that are like condescending hate nazis trying to change everyone just piss me off. im not out to change your mind, im just out to live my life and show you how im doing it. free will is key.

its really surprising how many people are interested if you show them that it can be done. everthing is so fear based, so much that fear is a way of life, we dont even notice we're scared. thats the last line of defense for these meat companies- get your meat or you wont have protein, dairy makes you healthy etc. fuck that, im not getting caught up in the healtcare/pharmaceutical industry if i dont have to.

also, who the hell am i to kill something or allow it to be killed? after thinking about it for awhile, i dont really see animals as any less than us. yes, we are smarter. there are differing degrees of intelligence all throughout nature. honestly i dont think im any better than anything else, a fly even. a fly values its life just as much as i value mine, and anyone that says a human values its life more than a fly, is probably a human.

• Like Like x 1
  5. It's natural for animals to kill other animals for food bro

6. Any of you vegetarians or vegans happen to be anemic?

7. i was going to until i saw this \/\/\/

this, my good sir, is a complete and utter LIE. you should go smack whoever told you this. or, more likely, if you just made this up out of thin air, you should smack yourself

8. Gotta love homemade miso soup with noodles. Tofu, carrots, green onions yummy!

9. #49 Tuk2, Feb 20, 2009
    You're 100% right. However when it comes to the enormous large scale industrial production of raising animals for slaughter, there are just too many solid facts to where its no longer a matter of OPINION between what you think is right and wrong, but rather cold hard facts. Dietary, Economically, Ecologically, and most importantly Humanitarian. Im sure there's many more reasons. Hell even going from a meat eating diet to a kosher one would be like what mmj or decriminalization is for legalization.

and no, you're wrong about the human valuing its life more than a fly. "Value" is completely perceptional, its a made up concept. What you might mean is "matter", in which case, in terms of the earth none holds more value than the other. Were here for 2 very different reasons.

People do fear the very notion of doing something different. If they started caring about what they shoveled in their mouths to please their taste buds, it would change things. Therefore they dont care, out of sight out of mind, that way there's no face on it and it holds no representation.

10. not a vegetarian, but VERY healthy. i enjoy many vegan/veggie plates, there is a DANK plantain tofu burrito, that is SO good. ill post it soon, when i figure it out

11. i pretty much agree with all that

12. i just had bloodwork done and im very healthy, not anemic.

• Like Like x 1

13. which is exactly why vegetarians just need more iron. non-heme iron is just less well-absorbed, but if vegetarians just up their intake of iron, they'll be alright.

"Some might expect that since the vegan diet contains a form of iron that is not that well absorbed, vegans might be prone to developing iron deficiency anemia. However, surveys of vegans 2,3 have found that iron deficiency anemia is no more common among vegetarians than among the general population although vegans tend to have lower iron stores 3."
    http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.htm

vegetarians are no different than meat-eaters. some care about their health while others don't. if you do your research and ensure you are getting the proper nutrients, you'll be fine. meat-eaters have iron deficiencies as well.. and just because you are a vegetarian doesn't mean you'll be iron deficient.

14. Got to have a big, Thick, Bloody steak, on my plate.

15. #55 Goldmine, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2009

isnt it great being smart? :D

16. Your right, but strike out, in my restaurant. Its really, all about the, Taste of your Meal. Meat is to Candy, as Veggies are to a, Popsicle.

17. taste is important, yes. your taste buds like what theyre used to.

18. p.s. why everytime the word 'vegetarian' is mentioned there has to be a big debate?

at least 75% of the time i tell someone that i am a vegetarian i get bombarded with questions or some kind of debate/argument is started.
    how often does the same happen to you meat-eaters?

peta is probably the only ones you hear complaints from.
    i'm sorry that peta gives vegetarians a bad name, but you don't have to take it out on all vegetarians.
    i don't even fucking support peta and i'm a vegetarian.

i'm completely clueless as to why people are so concerned about what others eat.
    if you are against vegetarianism, then don't be a vegetarian. eh, more meat for you guys..

and also, the whole 'it's unhealthy' shit is complete bullshit. that's up to the individual.
    think just because you eat meat or don't eat meat you are automatically healthy? obviously not.

i'm just absolutely sick of all this anti-vegetarian crap.
    (and that works both ways. anti-meat-eaters isn't cool either)

just for the record. ;)

19. I love my greens, but can't get off good old meat. That will never change. Unless..............................

20. i stayed veggie for 2 years then i just was always getting sick and shit. i dont think i could maintain a proper veggie diet.

but i used to smash all morning star products all day long