Calling all smart people.

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Stigma, Aug 13, 2012.

1. So first u say a FMO (Fire management officer) doesnt have the intelligence to know what the foam is in the video. Then u show me a video of USFS workers using a foam similar to whats in the video.

I dunno what to say to that.

I gotta come back to it being SIMILAR though. Not identical.

That foam is as similar to cloud floating in the sky as it is to the substance shown in the video I posted.

Edit: Most of those pics u posted arent even similar to what we see in the video.

2. I don't know why you're attempting to twist what I'm saying.

I said: "Unfortunately, the whole USDA only has approval to use one specific classification of FFF, out of about 15 in use by the federal government.I am stating to you that I don't think you authorities can necessarily speak from an authoritative standpoint. I think your appeal to authority is invalid because I doubt the exhaustiveness of their experience."

I never made any comment about intelligence. And yes, I'm saying that a USFS FMO would not have experience with the entire breadth of FFF foams and their applications, especially the sort that would be used in... say a hypothetical AFB in... wherever this video was shot (Dubai?)

There are more or less different types of FFF, each with different formulations, and different mixtures based on application. The whole USDA, much less the USFS is only approved to use a single one of these potential 15 FFF.

But if we're talking specifically about USFS applications for FFF, then... yeah, I found you a video that is strikingly similar. They even comment on how the wind would effect it and the foam changed to being "thicker and lighter" at 1000 feet.

It would be a significantly different application. I think the hypothesis is very viable still. Do you disagree?

...so... it is?

Not big enough chunks or not filmed in a low-resolution lossy formation?

When does it become special pleading?

3. Its definitely a possibility that this is some sort of foam. I am just saying that the examples I have seen of foam (man made or natural) just arent convincing enough for me to be able to honestly tell myself "thats foam".

I really dont see any application in fire management for floating foam either. It doesnt really fit. What would be the purpose of floating foam be when u have a fire???

Also, can anyone translate what the guys are saying???

They might be telling us exactly what it is. :D

4. #44 Turin, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2012
    It's not suppose to float, some of it just becomes caught in the wind.

5. Based on which quality? The quantity of airborne foam? Are you confused by the indescript quality of the original video?

Um. I think you might want to talk to our FMO buddies again, because I don't think they adequately explained to you what and how FFF is used.

The foam is the transport mechanism. The same qualities which make it slightly vulnerable to moderate winds, also make it effect at preserving valuable property.

It's all english, buddy. :confused:

6. Drunk ghosts

7. If thats an inter dimensional being, other dimensions must not be very interesting.

8. I will admit the first video quality is shit. Even with that shitty quality It doesnt resemble any of the examples u have shown us enough to make me believe its the same stuff. I mean look at the borders of the cloud when the stuff detaches. And then the way it forms upright so quickly. It just doesnt "act" the way any foam I have ever see acts.

I will gladly ask some of my customers about this floating foam tomorrow.
    Its rare that I can ask these guys questions and genuinely be interested in the answer. :D

I was referring to the original video.

9. #49 Sam_Spade, Aug 17, 2012
    Be sure to ask about military-application high-expansion fluoroprotein foams

10. Ok, the cat's out of the bag, Goku is real and that is the flying Nimbus.
    It's the people's right to know!

11. Video editing comes to mind.

Some new technology???

I dont know.. lol

It is bazaar to me. When I first saw it I thought it was a large formation of soap bubbles. After looking at it a bit more it just didnt fit.

Then when I saw the way it moved I immediately thought it was some sort of special effect.

Its obviously a common occurrence because the guy who walks up from the left isnt surprised by it at all. Also I dont think someone would be brave enough to just walk up and interact with something so foreign.

I could be wrong though. :D

12. #52 Smokey McPott, Aug 17, 2012
    To be honest id say id was some sort of soap bubbles or foam, Ive seen similar foam coming from the drains near the kitchen from my old school. It just foams out the drain into a big sort of ball and bits come of and float around in the wind. Probably from a place that washes a lot of dishes, a laundromat, some sort of detergent factory or something like that is my guess.

Oh and Id say the bubble are so fine because they have some sort of fine mesh over the drain instead of a regular drain cover.

Is there any actual answer?

13. There isnt.

Thats whats pissin me off.

14. I for one love a good mystery.

I found a piece that seems to fit, and if somebody finds on which fits better I'd love to hear it.

15. I agree Sam, your explanation fits the best so far. It is the only thought out explanation at this point though.

I have to admit though, I am secretly hoping its some crazy new technology.

16. Airborne cloud of unprogrammed nanobots?!?! :D

17. A man can dream cant he?!
    :smoke:

18. Come on Sam really? I mean can you really sit here and say that it may be a foam? Did you even watch the video? Im not trying to be a dick but the thing is flying around the air, It crash lands into the ground and rolls into a fence, Lays on the ground for a few seconds and stand straight up within 1 second and then floats as it is touched by the onlookers.

I have a better hypothesis, That is that the video is a fake made with some kind of editing software.

19. Yes he can, no matter how outlandish the dream. :bongin:

20. I just realized I'm arguing over a couple of dudes who found some garbage in the desert.