Call Me A Dummy, But...

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by kidkanabiss, May 7, 2014.

1. Ok. So, I've been searching high and low, all over forums across the internet, and still haven't come up with a solid answer. So, for all of you gurus out there, here's my question. If I make dry ice hash, couldn't I, in theory, clean that up to make good oil? Just use the Everclear dewaxing/winterizing process to remove any plant matter? Because if this is the case, why not skip blasting and go straight to this technique? I'm super dumb to this shit still and wanted to get some advice before I go wasting good flowers and money.

2. You'd still need to "blast" your dry ice hash since its likely to be a good amount of plant matter.

3. So, I should blast the sieved hash in a tube, just like a normal nug run? By this, I am assuming that the dry ice sieve is, what, virtually pointless? Because, correct me if I'm wrong, but sieving and blasting are both techniques to isolate the trichomes from the rest of the plant matter, with one obviously producing a cleaner product, right? And dewaxing/winterizing, is just a method of refining the aforementioned product, so wouldn't sieving before blasting be redundant?

4. Blasting is removing the oil from the trichomes themselves, not isolating them. Solvents take the goodies and leave behind the plant matter (stalks of trichs). It is a long process but it would be beneficial in the sense that there is near zero chlorophyll to be taken with the blast. I haven't done it personally but I imagine the color would be incredible. The only thing is you wouldn't blast the butane through a tube. It would be the thermos method which I have zero experience doing. It involves super cold temps and liquid butane. Sketchy Imo but maybe if you can get some high grade iso? You could soak for a long time and not worry about extra plant crap or black/green goop.

5. Yeah. Probably not going to attempt all that mess. Lol. Probably just blast the nugs straight up. Now, do I honestly need to vac purge? Or can I get fire meds from dewaxing/winterizing alone? Cause I don't have the money for one of those ovens.

6. Low and slow at 100 degrees. 72 hours at least as thin as you can spread it.

And dewaxing would require a purge afterwards anyway.

7. Low and slow at 100 degrees. 72 hours at least with your slab as thin as you can spread it.

And dewaxing would require a purge afterwards anyway.

8. Ok. I appreciate the info, but that last statement seems lacking. Are you telling me to evap (by way of hotplate, I'm assuming) @ 100º for 72? And I'm not trying to aggravate, but I clearly stated I can't afford a vac oven. Thusly, simultaneously, I am trying to obtain information for alternative purging methods, that aren't costly or dangerous. With the [hopefully] added bonus of this thread not getting hi-jacked/taken over by all those who like to give misinformation, and/or argue over solventless vs solvent derived oils. I need knowledge undiluted my friend.

9. I never said anything about a vac oven. After the initial water purge, anywhere from 30 minutes to 3+ hours, put it at 100 degrees on whatever heat source you have that can hold that low of temps. An IR thermometer is something to invest in. 72 hours at least with your oil as thin as possible. Don't even scrape. Leave it on your pyrex or whatever you blasted into and put that onto your heat source. Oil temp should be 90-105 - Heat of your hotplate/griddle/Heat pad doesn't matter. Oil temp is key. Keep it below 110 for shatter.

And what I was saying about dewaxing is that it isn't a purging method, it is more of a 'polishing' method that still requires a lengthy purge to get rid of all of the residual solvent. Vac not needed, but preferred.

10. Ok. This is what I was looking for. Knowledge. I am already ordering an IR thermometer as you suggested. And I'm glad you clarified something else; how to obtain shatter. I've heard you have to vac purge to get shatter. I've heard that you have to winterize first. All kinds of answers. I was honestly just planning on spreading it thin and crossing my fingers. Lol. But now I know. And actually, tbh, your answer seems to come up more than others, so I will stick with the "general consensus," and follow suit. And I appreciate you dropping knowledge on me. Thank you.