California DUI please help me if you have any experience

Discussion in 'General' started by chinoko, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Hey grasscity, been a minute since I've been on here!

Anyways, I just got a dui in the Los Angeles County (city of Chino Hills).

The story: My girl friend and I were arguing in the car while my windows were rolled down. A police officer passed by on the lane next to me (on my left) and then he slowed down, went behind me, and pulled me over. He said he heard my girlfriend screaming so he pulled me over. I explain we were just debating relationship problems and he asks if we drank. I say yeah, we just came from the bars, and he performs tests on me. I passed all of the tests, except for the breathalyzer test, of course. He then checks my car and sees the bottles of Jameson that are open and beers. He doesn't read me my miranda rights, but arrests me.

I'm charged with blowing above > .08% and also for driving under the influence of alcohol.

He didn't charge me for the open containers, nor weed I had.
    Anyways, do you guys have any knowledge?

He had no suspicion of me being drunk as I was not speeding, swerving, nor making weird lane changes. I didn't get charged for recklessness, speeding or anything else. Just a dui.

This is my first offense. Thanks guys :) Any experience stories in Cali would be much help.

What was the process like? Did you get a lawyer? etc. Thank you

2. What did you blow? If it's barely over .08 and it's your first offense, your public defender might be able to get it reduced to a misdemeanor negligent driving. My husband's son from his first marriage has been arrested for DUI 3 or 4 times in the past 3 years. He finally had to do one day in jail for the last one. You're in a liberal city. You should be ok. Don't drink and drive anymore. The police will remember you and pull you over again if they see you late at night, even if you're not doing anything wrong.

3. Thanks for replying Camelotsunrise. They didn't tell me what I blew, but it had to be at least .1% because I drank a lot. I was in jail for about 15 hours the night it occurred. I take full responsibility but I hope they dismiss it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. My first DUI was a breeze compared to the second. You won't know exactly what's going to happen until you get your charges from your hearing but I can tell you that you will most likely have your license suspended for a month or three then have to do a 3 month DUI program (it was HART back where I was from and at that time 2006) and might have to do community service hours and /or AA meetings. You may be put on what's called "informal probation" meaning you might have random drug tests but not as often as you would on regular probation and you don't have to meet with an officer every week. I was put on regular probation because of my BAC level and unmentionables found on my person.

A lawyer might help reduce the sentence to a wet n wreckless which would be really clutch as it's easier to get off your driving record, takes less time than regular DUI shit to get the license back and your fines are much cheaper too. I'm not really up to par on the new DUI laws as stated earlier I got my first in 06. The second I got a year later.

The real key here OP is to be thankful that neither you nor your girl were harmed. I hope you get through this quickly dude and I hope you never get another one because that is an entirely different ball game.

• Like Like x 3
  5. You do not have to have your miranda rights read to you to be arrested. I thought so at 1 time but upon consulting several attorneys after an arrest found out that was wrong. I've had 3 duis went 13 years before getting my shit together and my license back. I very highly doubt they'll dismiss it. You fkd up, be a man and accept the consequences

6. Not much else you can do, other than call Saul .. stay quiet, and let him do all the talking. :cool:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wax pretty much said it all.

Just to add, it's gonna be pretty expensive.

Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. This is why you never argue in public
    It draws unwanted attention to yourself

• Like Like x 2
  9. Thank you guys for the light.

10. Do you remember about how much you paid for your first one? What about your second one? Were you in California, bro?

11. Forgot to mention, my step son got a deferred prosecution on the first one. He had to do what Wax did plus he had to pay rent on a breathalyzer machine that was installed in his car for 3 to 6 months. I think it was just 3 months for the first one, but he's put us through this so many times I can't remember all the finer details about each DUI. It was over $100 a month. I remember one time he blew into it and the car wouldn't start. He had gargled with mouthwash moments before. The machine records everything and detects even minimal amounts of alcohol.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ahh okay thanks a lot! I hope I don't need one of those breathalyzer machines, fml

13. I had a breathalyzer for a year before getting my license back. If you have to have 1 hopefully you dont, and are allowed to choose where to get it, do your research. There definetly are easier ones to use and the price range is vast. I had an intox-a-lock it wasn't bad to operate and only $70 a month plus 1 time install price. My buddy paid $140 a month plus all kinds of calibration fees, maintenence bs and then to top it off had to hum while administering the test...lol ya hum. Like it's not embarrassing enough to be sitting at a stop light with a hot chick in the next car and you have to blow into a machine, he had to also hummmmm fairly loud while doing it lol. I got to where I could hide it behind a Styrofoam cup in such situations. So it looked like I was drinking out of a straw. Some people made cups the device fit in.

14. I was in Cali yes but can't remember exactly the total costs I think it was somewhere between 3000-5000$ after all my fines and class fees. As for the second.. shit I know it was well over 11,000$ after all was said and done. Im not sure if im counting the property damage or not for either.

15. You have be kidding me bro. wtff

Fuh, I heard it was about $1,000 including classes and stuff. You damaged property? I hope that's the reason it was so high (sorry bro that you had to pay that)

16. Yes property damage, vehicle expenses and probation added in there.

here i got this from google:

"The maximum penalties for a misdemeanor first DUI conviction in California is a $1,000 fine plus over $2,600 in penalty assessments, six months' imprisonment in the county jail, a six-month license suspension ; ten months for blood alcohol level of 0.15% or more, having your vehicle “impounded” (stored at your expense) ..."

source: California DUI: What are the Penalties? | DrivingLaws.org

Keep in mind the above paragraph is for the Maximum penalties. Click that link my dude, should give you some good answers on what to expect should u even get charged with a dui instead of a wet n wreckless.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Probation and dwi's are a joke
    It's all about that money
    Getting it from you
    And funding from the state
    The more people that get arrested, the more funding the cops can ask for

18. Don't worry. Self-driving cars will make drunk-driving legal again.

19. Doubtfully Google cars and such have to be manned by a compitent licensed sober awake driver.

20. appreciate the replies, guys! positive vibes