California bill introduced to legalize

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Madrid, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Why the fuck would you want to make a license hard to get. You would want the license to be EASY to get. Why? Because if it's hard to get, it makes it another incentive to say FUCK it and grow illegally.

Growing weed isn't complicated.

Maybe there could be some sort of cannabis inspection commission that goes around to the commercial weed fields and checks for mold/unsafe growing conditions.

In fact, when you pay for your license to grow, those license fees could be used to pay for the cannabis inspection commission.

I say, make it easy to get the license, so growers will have more incentive to get their products taxed.

2. just saw it on CNN so the word is out...

3. Because if you are growing large quantities with millions of dollars in sales you NEED to make sure that they are legitimate business with no gang connections. Yeah, in an IDEAL world there wouldn't be a need for a permit but this world is far from ideal. We have to be realistic when it comes to this. :smoking:

4. #104 DistressedMule, Feb 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2009

You can go into most places in the uk and europe, so i assume in the U.S aswell and buy ciggys but people still get them of the guy down the road or in the pub because it's alot cheaper. With a $50 tax and people who used to make their living growing and dealing there will still be people willing to sell it for a better price.

5. Do you have a DVR? I want to see their segment on the issue. Maybe someone can upload it to youtube.

6. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8XB1yX9wUs"]YouTube - Ammiano presents bill to legalize marijuana as solution of economic crisis SF.[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6OeXDPQghM"]YouTube - NJ PASSED MEDICAL MARIJUANA BILL! CALIFORNIA SET TO LEGALIZE MARIJUANA! (2/23/09)[/ame]

7. Oh I see what you mean. Yeah, I'd really love to see this debate!:hello:

8. #109 pitchin, Feb 24, 2009
    http://info.sen.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=ab_390&sess=CUR&house=B&site=sen

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/asm/ab_0351-0400/ab_390_bill_20090223_introduced.html

For those who like to read, in case they haven't been posted yet (8 pages... ugh). First one is the bill info, second one is the HTML version of the actual legislation.

IMO, if this were to be passed, the $50 tax probably wouldn't matter... because we'd probably see around that much of a price drop. It's only around a $1.70 per gram increase... even though if gas prices went up 1.70 per gallon, we'd see/hear a shitstorm.

I just wonder what the big corporations will do in order to profit off of it... Or if any would even get into it. National company selling marijuana in California... you know they'd get bitched at and boycotted by the super-conservative homeslices.

And check out these parts of the leglislation (these are from different parts, no order):

(c) Possession or use of marijuana by a person under 21 years of
    age is an infraction, punishable by a fine of up to one hundred
    dollars ($100).

---> Capping this at $100 sounds good to me.

(f) To impose substantial fines for violations of the
    noncommercial regulations and laws concerning marijuana, which will
    be applicable until and after commercial marijuana is available by
    virtue of future changes in federal law.

---> Substantial fines for violations of noncommercial regulations...? Anyone understand what "noncommercial regulations" he's talking about?

(d) To raise funds and to discourage substance abuse by the
    imposition of a substantial fee on the legal sale of marijuana, the
    proceeds of which will support drug education and awareness.

---

(i) To encourage the federal government to reconsider its policies
    concerning marijuana, and to change its laws accordingly.

9. You won't need a license to grow your own personal stash.

10. #111 PainfullyAmeric, Feb 24, 2009
    Being from Washington, I hope this legislation passes for all Californians, and extends it's reach into Washington. Oregon will follow suit, and if that happens, hopefully Washington will be right behind them. Currently we have a decriminalization bill on the floor up here and I hope it goes smoothly.

Also, in response to the statement:

(f) To impose substantial fines for violations of the
    noncommercial regulations and laws concerning marijuana, which will
    be applicable until and after commercial marijuana is available by
    virtue of future changes in federal law.

I think this statement refers more to trafficking interstate, supplying to underage persons, and growing for profit without the proper lisences/permits. < Best guess.

11. And you can grow in your yard as long as you aren't intentionally displaying it!

I'm loving this bill. Loving my state.

12. That sounds about right. Thanks, I didn't think of that.

As Ammiano said himself, this is still a work in progress, but I hope that the bigwigs can reach an agreement on this and pass it.

In another one of my opinions, this isn't all about all us stoners bein able to grow and smoke freely (we do that anyways). This is a solution to a growing economic and social problem. Moving forward... I like it. :D

13. BALLA!!!!! Maybe I will consider moving to that communist state..

14. There's nothing communist about california :rolleyes:

15. good things all the way around, now if they just past the NJ one completely as it still needs to go to the assembly, I will be moving back home by my family in good old NJ!!!!

16. this is the way to go

17. Dude, the guy in the video who opposed it said the reason why it wont work is because if people have to pay $50 a zip, they wont buy it. LOL!!!

I think if their paying $300 a zip they woudl be more than willing to pay $100.

18. $50/oz TAX. Not $50/oz total :p so ur $300 oz would be $350 total

19. News reporters need to stop calling marijuana a drug and start referring to it as an herb, because the more that people think of marijuana as a drug the less they are going to be willing to legalize it.