Cabinet CFL and soil First Grow. Mango x Afghan

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Mr B., Mar 28, 2009.

1. So, I am here with my first grow progress. It is a 2'X2'x4' box with 8 cfls (which seems to be doing fine. I am using earth doctor organic 5 fertilizer 5-7-3 mixed with the soil, and have been adding some liquid karma (seaweed extract), and Alaskan fish fertilizer 5-1-1 (The bottle claims it won't burn plants... but I don't believe it, so I have been increasing the dosage cautiously). The new leaves started turning a little yellow recently, so I just started feeding it the fish fertilizer. I had to revert all the plants to veg, since I got flowering clones, but the little ones have just started to really veg this week, and the bigger one has been vegging for about 3 weeks. I think the plant looks OK for a first grow, but hope to hear what you wiser growers think so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My custom made box that I'm so proud of.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The older one. I named it Brooklyn after my favorite stripper.

[​IMG]
    Inside the box. I got six little ones in there chilling out until I have finished my veg box.

2. aww lets hope the little ones grow up bigg and strong then lets harvest andd tokkkke haha
    =]

3. good lookin start man. the ones in the larger pots however, are they still in their original smaller pots? i see smaller white rings around them. +rep on the healthy start :D

4. #4 Mr B., Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2009
    they were originally in the white cups when I got them, and I moved them into the smaller black ones too, but am going to transplant them into a bigger pot soon.

So, I ran into a problem. My PH reads right around 7 on all my plants, temp is just under 80 at the canopy, but my big plant's new growth is looking shabby (The little ones on the other hand are growing strong, I will put up pictures of them eventually). Now, I read my fertalizers ingridients and couldn't find any Mg in them, and don't think any is in my potting soil... I also might be missing Fe, so I picked up a bottle of floramicro, and was wondering if it might be wise to use a lil on my plant. The picture below shows the damage... Also, could it be something I'm totally not thinking about?
    [​IMG]

5. did you put a pot in a pot? what's that white thing in the dirt??????

6. That is the rim of a foam cup it came in. I cut the bottoms out of em'.

7. so far so good man. how far in are they?

8. I've had the big one under 24/0 for a little more than 4 weeks and the little ones have been in it for 3 weeks (1 week they were just under a little florescent light though). They started off as flowering clones, and I reverted the first one initially, and then decided to veg the other ones later.

9. cool man. im doing a similar grow with cfl's and a small cab. im going to be following this grow closely, hopefully i can learn something lol

10. Looking good man! I'm signed up for this one.

11. UPDATE: OK I took a couple pictures of the little guys. Man, they are getting big... next thing you know I will be chopping them down and smoking pieces of their dead bodies. Anyways. back to the update. My big plant is doing better, the new growth is looking nice and green. I think the floramicro fixed my problem with it, but I think it is a little early to tell, I will post some pics of this again once there is some more new growth to look at. My little ones are doing great! I took a picture of four of them for your viewing pleasure.

Also, thanks for the kind words and interest in my journal everyone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Awwww. Look at the lil' guys.

12. Plants look beautiful bro, but one question.

Why are the pictures dated 7 years ago:confused:

13. Lol, I have a POS camera that makes me manually set the date and time almost every time I turn it on. I'm too lazy for setting times.

14. mango x afghan huh? what breeder?...cause that sounds fun.

one thing, id recommend taking the plants out of the cups when you transplant, if you can. Your roots will be able to freely enjoy their new space, instead of funneling through the bottom.

besides, i dont like the idea of foam cups mixed into my soil....maybe thats just me. It should also speed up their transplant recovery time....that plant that had problems looked like it needed to stretch her legs.

15. I'm not sure on the breeder, but next time I see my friend I will try to remember to ask him. And I'm thinking I'm probably taking your advice from now on, because I realized when I was recently transplanting one of my little guys into a bigger pot (from the smaller black pot) that those foam cups, aside from doing what you said, are just a pain in the ass.

16. OK, so I just took some pics of my big one, and she is healing up nicely. I looked in my room when I woke up this morning, and was happily surprised to see that the new folliage was growing rather rapidly once again. I was worrying there for a while, but all is good (or so it seems).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. A view inside my box. I know I still have 5 of those plants inside little pots, but I have nowhere to put them right now, so until I get my new lights it looks like they are stuck in those pots. I do feel really really bad about it though, I'm sure their roots are starting to fill those things out, and it is only a matter of time until I'm forced to transplant them whether there is a spot to put them or not, but for now they stay where they are. I'm sorry fellow GCers, but I have no options and all I can do is beg forgiveness for my sins as a growing fool. Here are some pics of the babies though. I know, space is running out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. How big are your pots? I am growing in 1 liter bottles and they are doing just fine! I should have flowered them earlier though. Have you read DrBudGreengenes journal?