C99 x skunkman male

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Panda85, Mar 29, 2013.

1. #1 Panda85, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2013
    I figured id start a journal to get what ive been up to, all in one thread... may turn out to be a book lol, but ill throw in as many pics as i can.

first of all id like to say im a major fan of pretty much anything with skunk in it. i heard really good things about Cinderella 99, so my search for it started. soon to realize that the original breeder "brothers grim" was no longer breeding or w.e and the original seed stock has run dry. some variations still exist so i tried out female seeds c99, since they say that theirs was from the original brothers grimm and 2 phenos were crossed, which the resulting seeds is what they sell now. here is the whole story of how the original c99 was created...i found it quite interesting.

i grew a few of them and found 2 or 3 very different phenotypes. 1 was super lanky stretchy with loose packed airy buds, but the smell on the plant was unbelievably PERFECT. a solid fruit punch rich smell with pineapple undertones *mouth drools* i wanted to literally shove chunks in my nose and smell it all day!! the other phenos were shorter(less stretching) but was extremely branchy, no training at all and it would turn into a shrub. the smell of one was a very strong grapefruit smell, and the other pheno was a mix of pineapple with a grapefruit under tone. they were also quite fluffy when finishing up but not too bad...but the fruit punch pheno kept my attention fully so i kept just that one.

here is what she looked like late, mid flower week 5-6.. (Cinderella99 from female seeds, stretchy phenotype)
    [​IMG]
    and close up.
    [​IMG]

i eventually got sick of it being soo stretchy and fluffy so i started searching for possible strains that i could try and find a male from, to cross with it and hope for less branching, stronger branches, and more dense buds, while hopefully keeping the same smell,taste, and high. my first thought was shiva skunk(NL5 x Sk1) which was used in creating C99 but before i ordered anything i was going to try some stuff i already had... i had a bag of mixed seeds from sam the skunkman that i had as freebies. did some searching and found out the possible genetics of them and all of them looked awesome, and had skunk and/or haze which are also part of C99s lineage. the possible genetics were
    1. Sleestack/Sk1 X Haze/Sk1
    2. KandyKush/Sk1 X Haze/Sk1
    3. OG18/Sk1 X Haze/Sk1
    4. Hindu Kush X Sk
    5. Hindu Kush/Sk1 X Sk1
    6. Cal Orange/Sk1 X Haze/Sk1
    7. Afgh #1 X Sk1
    8. NLA/Sk1 X Sk1
    9. G13/Sk1 X Sk1
    10. OTP/Sk1 X Sk1
    11. OTR/Sk1 X Sk1
    12. Original Haze X Original Haze
    13. Original Haze/Sk1 X Haze/Sk1
    14. Original Haze/Sk1 x HawaiianIndica7 X Haze/Sk1
    15. Original Haze/Sk1 x Sk1 X Haze/Sk1
    16. Original Haze/Sk1 x LP1 X Haze/Sk1
    17. Import Afgh/Sk1 X Sk1

so i started just one seed and flowered right away hoping for a male..and i got what i asked for :) it started flowering very fast and progressed rapidly in flower, it stayed in a single stem, no branching at all. strong vigorous growth and it looked like a good mix sativa dominant but a little indica, about 70/30ish.

here he is.
    [​IMG]

after creating the cross i grew out about 3 of the seeds, all of them female, and were exactly what i was looking for. they had stronger branches, less branching and really dense clusters of buds instead of long fluffy buds. the stretch in flower was no where near as bad. the smell was pretty damn close to the original fruit punch pheno c99 but a little more skunky/musky. the high was almost exactly the same, except a little less racey feeling, but still a clear headed sativa high with no couch lock.

recently i decided to grow out a few more of them to see if all of them are like that... but i was wrong. i started 8 of them, 5 turned out to be males, and left me with 3 of them growing right now. 2 of them look very close to the original c99 that i used...extremely stretchy..but the branches do seem stronger than the c99 pheno i had. the other one looks like the previous ones ive grown, except more work has gone into this one, in a larger pot, and better soil/nutes. its starting to smell reallly good too, should be starting to see trichs soon.

now for picture time of this cycle.
    here is what i started with.
    [​IMG]
    beginning of veg, 2 weeks from seed
    [​IMG]
    week 3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    week 4, start 12/12, removed 3 plants(dif strains) to continue veg
    [​IMG]
    week 6, first signs of sex... as labeled s2,s4, and d4 were the FEMALES, tossed the males except 1, and added other strains back to tent.
    [​IMG]
    week 7, (first week of flower after first signs of sex)
    [​IMG]
    week 7, (top view) another seed from the skunkman turned out male and tossed it, nl x sk is looking male even though it was a feminized seed. relabeled plants... cross 1=S4, cross 2=S2, cross 3=D4 from above pic.
    [​IMG]

week 8, (week 2 of flower) CURRENT (pics taken today)
    cross 1, stretchy, and slow/stretched out bud growth.
    [​IMG]
    cross 3, extremely stretchy and branchy, slow/stretched out bud growth.
    [​IMG]
    cross 2, not very stretchy, fast/compact bud growth. starting to smell really good :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i collected some pollen from a male of this cross strain and will pollinate "cross 2" and start isolating this phenotype since i love it sooo much. i also plan on using the NLxSk from g13 labs to pollinate it and see what comes from that. thanks for reading...if you made it this far :cool:

2. #2 Panda85, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2013
    week 9 (week 3 of flower)

the big dwc plant is 1 week younger than the rest, and i lost track of the small other strains. the cheese and nl x sk arent doing to well, had to remove some males previously and some roots got tied up with them, left some dead roots behind so its causing root rot and slowing them down.

heres a view of whats flowering right now
    [​IMG]

the nlxsk turned out to be female but had the strangest looking preflowers ive ever seen, has branches popping out of the side of branch nodes, in the same spot pollen sacks normally form and filled with pistils.. so idk what was up with that. heres a pic of her
    [​IMG]

here is my favorite girl :) smelling soo damn good, very rich and fruity just like c99. fruit punchy, pineapply, grapefruity goodness. looking way better than any c99 pheno ive seen or grown..im loving this cross and phenotype
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and here is her evil little bitch sister, has no smell at all yet...looking just like her mom(c99), stretchy, flimsy and low producing airy buds. she is about a foot taller than the good pheno(above pic)..the one in dwc is even taller/stretchy and is just like this junky pheno but producing a little more than this one in soil.
    [​IMG]

3. #3 Panda85, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2013
    very impressed with this phenos growth compared to the others... she is a keeper for sure!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. thought it would be cool to get some nice macros of these sugar coated goodies.. got out the ol' jewlers loupe and put my phone camera to the test... turned out pretty awesome if you ask me :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. well, just pollinated a lower branch on that beautiful lady with a male from this cross. so far i have p1(c99) x p2(skunkman male) = F1(this cross) which is considered an outcross too pull some new genes into the pool and increase hybrid vigor..which this obviously worked well. it has the c99 terpenes and more vigorous growth than either of its parents..

so now that p1 and p2 are both long gone, its time to start creating this IBL and isolate this phenotype. the process ill be following is the same as what the brothers grim did to get c99 stable in the first place (cubing it). so now i just crossed F1 x F1 which then will come out to be a F2 generation. ill find a male in the bunch of F2 seeds and cross it back to the F1 female. that will result in F1 x F2 = F3 generation and follow the same process until i get to an F4 or F5
    F2 = 50% chance of being just like the F1 female
    F3 = 75%
    F4 = 87.5%
    F5 = 93.75%

This will be my new and improved version of c99 but ill change the name to something unique...so its not confused with the original c99. it will be used in several more out crosses to get a wide variety of strains for myself, and others if i decide to send out souvenirs

6. This is amazing man I'm subbed up for sure.

7. Nice work should come out with a damn good strain its tuff if you cant grow out alot of seeds and let the males fully flower to compare.

8. for sure, its pretty much just a toss up, but each time back crossing any male from the offspring should still be that much more likely to be like the mother so either way eventually you should get to the same point..but it would be nice to see how the males fully finish before using it.

if it loses vigor by the end of inbreeding a few generations i will use a male from this cross(once i start seeing stable phenotypes) to outcross to a chosen female, since females are much more rewarding to flower all the way, and you can see all of the characteristics of the plant you are breeding with easier.

the NLxSk female is looking pretty nice so far, that i was originally thinking of out crossing the c99 to, so that may be just the right thing for it if it still needs work at the end of cubing it. NLxSk(shiva skunk) was also originally used in creating c99 so it wouldnt be just tossing shit out to just any plant. id like to just make the c99 i grow, easier to grow indoors, produce more in a sog style and get rid of the extreme stretchy phenos.

9. and here are a few pics for an update for this week. has about 3 weeks left to fatten up quite a bit more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and here are a few pics of the other phenotype(stretchy bitch) this one is about a week younger than the other from the pics above..
    this was mar 1st, 1st day of 12/12, didnt show sex until mar 12.
    [​IMG]

and here she is now... still chaotic structure like a stretched out christmas tree like the c99 i started with. the bud sites are a bit more dense but spaced out and clustery. this would be amazing to grow outdoors!!
    [​IMG]

10. Ya those stretch phenos suck I grew out a c99/alaskan thunderfuck cross and it was the c99 pheno that was thin branched and stretch didnt produce a whole lot but was good to smoke. I had a friend who grew out shiva skunk that he got clones of said it was a heavy yielder with huge stems and buds. I have a cut of NL#5 growing in my journal and it is looking to be a really heavy yielder and super fast growing.

11. yup that nl5 is a very heavy producer as well as the shiva skunk. the nlxsk has a funky smell on the plant, but the finished product turns out smelling much better imo. the shiva skunk smells piney, earthy and a hint of amonia or cat piss, but dried and cured it is more mellow earthy and slighty woody and a hint of fruity/lemony skunk.

12. Part of the reason I wanted the nl was to keep the smell down I cant grow skunky strains at the moment neighbors close by although I finally invested in a large carbon filter this grow. I had a th seeds heavy duty fruity that stunk so bad while growing it made your eyes hurt. Not even joking. :smoking:

13. lol thats how my sour kush from reserva prevada was... it was a nightmare to trim. it gave you headaches from the nose clenching diesel smell :p

14. I bet that was a real tastey smoke though :smoking:

15. Fantastic. I'm doing FMS C'99 right now, and I'm loving it. I'm using LED and geting way more compact buds, but I can totally see where you're coming from with the airyness.

Anyways, subbed. I would kill for beans off this. :x

Also, curious, what's your opinion on the C'99 smoke/flavor/stone/etc.?

16. some phenotypes are quite a bit worse than others. the stretchy one was the worst for trying to get good yields but had the best taste and flavor imo. it had a more bold fruit punch/cherry kind of smell, the others were more sour smelling like grapefruit and pineapple.

best of the best in my opinion. one of my absolute favorites. there's a few phenotypes, but all of them are really fruity, fruit punch, pineapple, grapefruit. the taste is not quite as good as the smell, but leaves a lemony kind of after taste. the smoke is smooth and expands quite a bit, choked out some old time smokers, lol super high from 1 good hit. the stone from it is spacey trippy, and rushy, but still clear headed(unless you over do it)..i have an anxiety problem and i do good with her. 100% daytime smoke, i find it hard to fall asleep after smoking it.

very good for depression...always puts you in a good mood, and gets you peppy.

17. here she is... getting a little closer every day.. a good 2-3 weeks left id say

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. oh and also.. this g13 labs cheese is smelling sooo sexy!! soo mellow smooth and sweet.. forget using the nlxsk to outcross again once i isolate this pheno... ill outcross to this cheese and i bet ill have great results. the nl x sk could ruin the smell/taste for sure since it is more piney and woody but the cheese is like a soft, sweet, cream cheese smell i guess is the closest i could describe lol.

starting to see some seeds on the branch i pollinated but not many.. hopefully i can find a male asap from it and get the f3 generation coming along, then f4 and f5 if it still needs it.. then outcross to the cheese :) at that point ill let entire plants get pollinated so i have mountains of seeds :p

19. Damn that top cola is looking real good! Nice work:hello:

How long did it take to see seeds? The pollinated buds on mine have stopped growing while the rest are huge now.

20. well today its been 2 weeks exactly from when i pollinated. i can only see the calyxes are swollen and cracked open just a little with a seed starting to form. i pollinated a little too early since the male popped a little unexpectedly.. so i dont think ill end up with many seeds :/ as long as i get 1 male i dont care though. usually i wait until there is a good amount of bud (about 3-4 weeks left) then when i chop i leave that branch and harvest the rest to make sure its 100% ripe. usually they need about 5 weeks from pollination from what ive seen.