Buying Fake Samsung Grow lights from Alibaba

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Headhunterpipes, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Your plant maybe can't but your electric bill can.
    And if we are talking about flower, you won't even be getting the same DLI if both lamps are on for the same 12h time.

• Like Like x 1
  2. $485 - $230 = $255

As far as bin, I would need to see some numbers to be convinced, particularly with regard to yield. Speculation don't grow buds, and the bar is high. You need more than that to justify asking me over twice the price.

3. To each his own, IMO a light that will last me 5 years is worth the extra investment even if the justification isn't proven on paper, besides the difference is gonna be negligible in the long run and especially when you consider the value of what you grow.
    Besides that, I have enough experience with Chinese products to know that they are very rarely built with the same quality as European or American made products. I know many growers use alibaba lights and are happy, not denying that but personally id rather pay extra and get the quality I expect.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Im starting to believe this is all a scam. Everything in our countries are built in china, its western propaganda So that companies can buy everything from China and sell to you. But at the same time installing the idea that made in China is fake and shit.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they use the exact same diodes. And there’s too many people doing very well with them.
    The problem is it’s a lot more than a few extra bucks. And we all know how cheap the parts actually are.
    all there is, is doubts and Hearsay. But on paper, and by others examples over the years, you can see there’s is very little difference between anyone’s quantum boards. Wether you pay a couple hundred on alibaba or a thousand with hlg..

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. To got with the above comment there's a warehouse a friend of mine worked at. All they do is unpackage merch take off the China sticker and slap on a made in America sticker before it crosses the border into the states, so this shit is everywhere.

I've been using the same r2t lights from Alibaba and no complaints. When I switched I was running 400w hps when the LEDs got swapped (350watt vero 29 g2 cobs) in there was a night and day difference, when I added the quantum knocks things got that much better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Damn man. This fucking thread....I’ve been advocating like a mf for Ali lights lol. But man, I’ve just finished growing out some Badazz Og Cheese clones under my 96’s and my Ali 288’s. 2 under the 288’s, one finished so far under the 96’s.... I’ve been bamboozled. Hoodwinked. Hit with the 1-2 switcharoo. I’ve gotta reneg. The one plant so far is twice the bud mass as the two under 288’s. As I understand it, HLGs 288’s are comparable to their 96’s in how well they can flower. But what I’ve got here is not that. My plants under my Chinese 288’s are less than. I mean those plants are going to yield more because the 288’s had two scrogged Plants in a 4x4 and the others have 2sq fr of space but the density is something I cannot ignore. Soooo yeah. Shit.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. #107 Han-Bolo, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    My 550 uses the same 480w driver as the HLG550. have you done any testing? Ive got my PPFD/DLI measurements somewhere, let me look and ill post them up. Post up your findings with the HLG 550 please.

I run 24 hours of light but I dim my ballast to keep things cooler and more efficient. Regardless with your 12 hour DLI calculations I can work the math to get a standardized comparison of the two lights in regards to performamce. Also, plants can only take in a certain amount of DLI per day, anything more is overkill and a waste of electricity.

8. #108 Han-Bolo, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Here's my findings with the Meiju light at 24 inches if I'm remembering correctly. Regardless the proof is in the pudding.

The DLI I calculated is total over the period of 24hours. This is not what I run my lights at all the time this was just for the data. I think the most DLI we need in flowering is like 65 per day. I think I'm probably only running my ballast at 60% right now but my plants get all the DLI they need. I'll crank it up for flowering.

IMG_20190527_195218_487.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  9. 24 hr veg? Plants need sleep just like you and me. Think of it like rem sleep, the plant has processes it need to do in the dark too..
    Each plant will have a different dli, commercial can dial everything it by taking clones and testing for everything. Allowing for reduced output and saving in electric.

Thant’s high Figures on the edge for a 5x5, what did you use to test it?
    Is your board the same design as the hlg550?

I have a hlg550 and a 5x5. When my spectrometer comes I’ll measure and we can compare. Mine is over a year old now though so guessing it has a reduced output some.

I’m surprised of the high figures because I find it’s not even sufficient in a 4x4 space.

10. Its a little under 5 ft on width and 5ft deep in the closet. Also, when I take my lux readings, I turned the meter towards the light, I didnt leave it flat. Light can travel at angles right? or is it only up and down?? Thats my logic at least. My numbers might not be the most accurate and my equipment may not be the best but its a baseline lol. If you let me know when your testing yours, use the same lux meter as me that way we can keep as much of the data as uniform as possible.

I grow autos, they never see the dark. I dim my ballast and run 24 hours of light to get my DLI but also keep temps low. Im growing in an 7x5 closet with 1000 watts of LEDs, no AC, just negative pressure/air exchange. Im able to maintain my 1.0 VPD for veg and 1.3 VPD for flower this way. In my opinion consistency is key.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ah that makes more sense. A lux meter can give a very basic baseline as you say, better than nothing. But it is so inaccurate and And converting from lux to ppfd changes even between Lights.

When I set back up I can do both and compare. I think we should compare lux numbers though.

tbh I would have guess that pic to be a 1x1 rather than a 5x5. I mean compare it to the top lights on the market, it would be almost double the gavita over a 5x5 lol.

C8DF08D5-3248-4864-9F46-A1439D7F57FF.jpeg

even compared to hlg it would be multitudes brighter.

FE4DA646-6586-4F87-B652-ACECFA1B41C3.png

I actually got my infrared thermometer the other day so ima look into my vpd. I know this will be another step forward in optimisation but without ac I cannot control it anyway. So for now it will just be a number that I cannot control.

12. I’ve read this a few times and still don’t understand what your saying lol.
    Can we get a translation :roflmao::roflmao:

13. we could also use the same lux to PPFD converter. I did it on a website. It allows you to plug in spectrum and everything.

Im looking forward to our findings!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Well let me tell you my friend... I dont believe in buying there over priced pre built setups either!!! I do like all the boards hlg has but I only ever really suggest 1 thing because that is all the I have. This being qb 96 elite v2s x2 ($70x2=140)paired with hlg 320-54a driver x1($82) This setup pushes around 350 watts I believe or close to it for around $250 bucks! Just continue to add in pairs for however much space.

• Like Like x 2
  15. My thought is our companies demand high quality and also high quality control. when you buy straight from whoever over there is makeing the exact same product for one of our companies you get things that didnt pass quality control for the main company and they fix it up and send it out as there product. I hope that makes sense it feels jumbled when I read it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Figure it out yet?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Aye, to each his own. I don't agree the markup is negligible, but that's subjective and not something I'm out to push. If it gives the buyer peace of mind to buy from HLG, that's part of the item's value for them. The reason I went so long-winded on the money is I see people saying the prices are nearly the same and it's just not true enough to make it a blanket statement. Well, that and I'm kind of preoccupied with it because I'm a tightwad.

It's true you get a lot of garbage out of China. It's not that they can't turn out top quality. The money we've pumped into their economy outsourcing labor has built them a lot of good manufacturing capacity. It's more a case of building things to a price, from what I've been told by people who're in a position to know. The company doing the outsourcing can require that quality and get it, if they're willing to pay for it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. #118 Chester Copperpot, Jun 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Understood, man. I need to give them another look and a longer think before I make up my mind what to go with.

19. something to do with the numbers 288 and
    96 :/ lol

20. Get what your budget allows. Not much math needed.
    If I need a tablesaw, I can buy a DeWalt or a PowerKing. We know the Dewalt is better, but the Powerking will still still cut wood.
    and I thought DeWalt was made in the USA... not Taiwan.

• Like Like x 2