Buying A 5 Series (BMW)

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Sydeburnz, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Hey GC. I'm looking to buy a 2000-03 5 series. Anyone have any tips on what model and year I should get, and any known problems I should look out for? I've heard to stay away from the 540's, but heard nothing but good things about the lower models. My backup plan is a 3 Series coupe around the same year, so any details on those would help as well. Any advice would be great.

2. e39 or get a e36 and maybe try to get a good bmw mechanic to check out the car before buying

3. I'd go for the 540i myself, since it has a lot of power. But if you're hellbent on a lower model, I'd go for the 530i or 535i.

4. 535i. Try looking for an E60 535i though. Prices should be decent since there are so many of them and it's a far better car.

5. whats your price range? ^^ this dudes right the E60s are a far better option. With the new 5 series just coming out, that means the e60s prices are gonna drop some more.. i used to have an 08' 528 and an 07' 335. the 535 would be amazing.

6. Get an e39..
    Far superior to drive than the later e60... e39 feels much tighter..

Great car but you need to change the water pump etc.. around the 90k mark to avoid potential problems... Common problem with 6cyl models..

Get 1 with a full history and you should be safe enough..