Burnt with a lighter

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by tikandsync88, Jan 14, 2013.

1. My leaves look like they've been burnt here and there with a lighter. They've also yellowed. I added a nitrogen nute thinking the yellowing was caused by that deficiency. Problem fixed. I also had the burning pegged as a phosphorous def so I gave em a shot of phosphorous nutes but it hasn't stopped the burning yet.

Is my plant not recovering as quickly from the P-def as the N-def because it's caused so much more damage to the plant? I'm taking pictures of a certain leaf of each plant every few hours to see changes and all I see is them getting greener.

Attached Files:

2. Whats your PH run off reading? As for the damaged leaves they will not repair themselves, once the damage is done its done.

3. I'm not sure what the run off is for sure but will the already damaged leaves continue to deteriorate? Are they basically dead and need to be pruned? I haven't noticed any changes in the already recovered green leaves.

4. #4 tplat, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013

The burn spots will not heal and the leaf that is completely yellow is depleted and will die off. If a leaf is 50% damaged or more then I would prune it off. The spots that look like burn spots could be caused by your PH being off. To keep a plant healthy you need to maintain the PH around 6.5 in soil. If the Ph is to low or high it can cause deficiencys that can result in what look like burn spots on the leaves.

5. Thanks for your help! I'll get a pH kit for soil.

6. Start out with a digital PH meter for liquids. You PH test and adjust your water and or nute mix going in, water or feed till you have about 20% of it as run off then PH test the run off. In soil you want a PH run off right around 6.5. What kind of nutes are you using?

7. I'm using 'earth juice' Grow and Bloom nutes. I test the pH of the water going in at 6.0-6.5 but the runoff that comes out is yellowish. I've flushed the plants once as well.

8. What are you using to test the PH? One thing about flushing the soil with PH`d water is that your also flushing the nutes out.

9. I've been testing the pH of the water with an average water testing kit. Not the strips but the drops. I fill the test tube about half way and add 3 drops of the solution. The tap water I use is always around 7-8 so I adjust it down. I flushed once in veg and added one mild dosage of the Grow to the next watering. It's been about a week since then and have gone into flowering with mild dosages of both the grow and the bloom nute solutions. They're most definitely getting greener but I'm going to go into a 'plant' shop and ask some serious questions if the burns keep spreading.

10. This first pic is what the leaf looked like last night and the second is what it looks like now. The curling going on isn't a stiff curling like they're drying up. It's still very soft and leafy feeling. I'm reading 78temp and 39% humidity.

Attached Files:

11. Yeah those dropper solution kits are like the cheap soil PH probes you stick in the soil they will give you a general idea of the soils PH but not a very accurate one and can still be off just enough to where your plant is having a PH roblem. A digital PH meter, some calibration solution and the PH Up & Down solutions will be a much better way to go. It sounds like you already got the PH Up & Down. Digital PH meters vary in price from $15.00 to a couple of hundred dollars. A basic digital one for like $15.00 or so on like Amazon or Ebay would work alot better for controlling the PH. The cheaper digital PH meters tend to need to be calibrated more often then the more expensive ones. Some are also water proof and some arent so thats another thing to consider. The water proof ones cost more. If you dont mind spending some money on a good brand i would reccomend Hanna or Bluelab. Your temp and humidity are good.

12. What are you using to adjust the ph of your water? If your soil and nutrients are organic based and your ph up/down solution is chemical based then mixing the two can mess your soil up..