Burning incense as a CO2 supplement?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by MasterJ, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Hey guys I'm sittin here... with a burning incense... And combustion releases CO2. What do you guys think of using a burning incense as a CO2 supplement? Feel free to tell me this is an idiotic idea!

2. I agree with your theory yet, do you really want smoke surrounding your plants? I wouldn't want it in my grow room. Better yet, just do an exercise routine in your grow room.

3. Not small enough to exercise in 9 cubic feet...

But I just realized CO2 tanks are pretty damn cheap (like for paintball).

I may just use that instead. I wonder how effective it is. Anybody know? What would you do? Just puncture it and let it seep out? :confused:

My grow area is about 3x3x3, but that little section is hardly airtight, although it's mostly light-tight. The entire closet is like 3x6x7 or so (just a guess).

Would that be able to work?

4. The amount of Co2 that you would get from a paintball gun tank, or by burning an incense would be so minimal, it would just dissipate into the air.

I'm a big believer that extra CO2 is a myth. That is as long as you have proper ventilation, there is no need to give more CO2.

5. In order for co2 to benefit your situation you would need a controller. It measures PPM and releases gas from a tank to keep it at a desired range. I hear great things about sentinel. I hope to some day use co2 but my setup won't allow it right now.

6. i use candles for the same reason. my first grow though, so i cant tell any difference, but why not, right? couldnt hurt. and i bet incense would cover the smell pretty good. might flavor it too though...?

7. Sorry that wont work for you to have Co2 work you would have to keep it at an optimal higher rate during the entire light period of about 1800 ppm to get that from an incence burning you would need thousands and that wouldnt work for obvious reasons. You can burn natural gas at an efficient enough rate to produce co2 but then you would have to buy a burner and thats made for a large room lol...A paintball tank would technically work if you could figure out the optimal amount you need to release at half hour intervals for fiften minutes to increase the room to around 1800ppm, and there would be no regulator so it would be coming out far to fast, very difficult. Your best bet is to buy both a larger tank than any 20 oz paintball tank and a regulator with a timer (they have nice kits that tell you how to figure everything out with tubing and a timer and math equations lol) you could get by with a 5 pound tank but for not that much more you could get a 20 pund tank which would last in a small room like that for a very long time...But thats a pretty small room to worry about co2 but if ya got the extra money it will definately be a noticeable difference which brings me to Do Work's comment.

It seems the only ones who think co2 has no change are ones who have never used it. Not only does it have much anecdotal evidence of everyone who didnt use it and started to noticing darker green, bushier, smaller node space, larger yields and tighter bud growth. But there is also the empirical everidence that plants use co2 very vitally for respiration and photosynthesis. Now the air we breath has about 300ppm of co2 present depending on where ya live and altitude. A plant will start to die at 200ppm and will burn around 2500ppm and die at 3000ppm. Now if the air we breath is only at an average of 300ppm and at 200ppm it starts to kill the plant and co2 is taken up quickly by plants one may think that in a grow room which is usually hot (causing the amount of respiration required by the plant to sustain normal metabolic rates to increase) and loaded with plants would be lower than the air outside that room so maybe around 250ppm 275ppm thats getting close to too low. Cannabis thrives the best at about 1500-1700ppm now that is quite higher than normal air. I would think that the distance to kill a plant from 300 to 200ppm only being 100ppm it would be extremely beneficial to increase it by about 1100ppm. Numerous reports of using exact clones in exact growing conditions only variable being co2 amount given to each room. They increased slightly each room and recorded THC amount weight and density, also mentioned any other notible changes from room to room. The 200ppm room suffered and the plants didnt even flower and when they started giving the clones about 2000ppm it started to have very similar effects to too little co2 until they began to die at 3000ppm. They found the rooms containing 1200-1800ppm were all very similar with the highest efficiency (for that particular strain mind you) at 1500ppm. Now the difference in that study from the 300ppm and the 1500ppm was a 41% increase in yield other studies have reported more around 30% but some have even gone to 100%. The study I was mostly speaking of vegetated for one month. The veg and flower periods also make a significant difference in how much co2 plays a role. But there is no arguing, atleast with science, that higher ppm of co2 up to a certain degree will definately increase yield and density...Oh yeah they found the THC levels didnt mcuh depend on the co2 rather the health of the plant, but generally the plants in the co2 were healthier so had higher THC but co2 isnt a direct causation of higher THC amounts...