Burn or Deficiency?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Hot Box, Nov 13, 2013.

1. #1 Hot Box, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
    I've got three different strains growing. I have posted some of the healthiest leaves - which are showing some unhealthiness, unfortunately. 

Info on grow:

Medium: Coco Coir (Canna Coco)

Nutes: Fox farm grow big and big bloom, cal mag, occasional h202, and 1 drop of superthrive per gallon. Parts per million (PPM): 120

PH: 5.8 metered with a nice meter

Age: Got them as young clones, been in coco about 3 weeks.

Light: 400 watt Metal Halide, + t5 fluoro on the side.

I'm either seeing some nute burn or a deficiency, not sure which. I also have a small spider mite problem but i've lessened their impact. The pictures are of unaffected growth.

discoloration on the tips of the leaves indicates a problem. Any idea what it is?

THANKS

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      276.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      334.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      292.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Id say burn but with your tds so low I couldn't see why that would be the case.

3. any more ideas? Thanks for the reply!

4. calibrate your meter. sometimes this can be a huge part of it.

5. Your leaves look very yellow unless that is the light but supplement CalMag, check Ph, and are you using tap water or RO water? That will make a difference.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. he's already supplementing calmag. and at 120ppm with all those nutrients added i'd say its not tap water. I've never heard of >100 ppm tap.

looking again at the pix and going over your info OP, i'd say they need a bit more than 120ppm. try supplementing calmag up to 150ppm, dial up the base nutes. start at around 250 or so if you're three weeks in.

if you wanted to give it a shot, you could probably even start laying off the superthrive.

• Like Like x 1
  7. #7 Hot Box, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2013
    These guys are all at different stages, ones been in for a month, the other 3 weeks and the other 2.

I burned and stressed them when I first got them. About a week or two ago I started seeing my first healthy growth at 80ppm. I then bumped it up to 200ppm and burned them bad using fox farms grow big.

I'm using tap water which is 30 ppm in my city.

I went to 120ppm and started seeing this burn which is pictured in my first post, where as things were going well at 80ppm. I fed 100 the last two feeds and the growth is coming along okay now... A little yellow, maybe? And the tips seem burnt.
    One of my plants, the oldest, has nice dark green growth but showing some possible burn? on the tips still. I really don't want to burn these babies again by raising the ppm, but I also don't want them to starve! Everyone disses on foxfarms, I'm beginning to think that that the problem?

8. Update:

Cut the superthrive for today's feed.

SHOOK MY NUTES! and they were a different color. Thinking I may have had an iron deficiency or something, with the heavier elements sinking to the bottom of the bottle. This is the first time I've ever shook my nutes, we'll see if that helps. The nutes were much darker after homogenizing them by shaking... If this solves everything I will be so happy, yet so mad at myself for never reading the label "Shake well before using".

Here's some pics from this afternoon before I fed them. I might just keep this updated as a journal.

Fed 1.5ml fox farms grow big, 1.5ml fox farms big bloom. Nothing else. Gonna try easing up on the cal mag, as grow big has both.

3 pics of the newest growth, + one of all three in normal lighting...

Attached Files:

• bat.jpg
      bat.jpg
      File size:
      218.7 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      209.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      223.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      227.5 KB
      Views:
  9. You should ALWAYS shake your nutes before using them. That may have been your problem from the start as some stuff sits at the bottom. If your tap water is at 30ppm that's great! Most people don't have tap water that low and if you are using tap, you should let it sit for a couple days uncovered to dissipate the chlorine in it. Chlorine will also turn your plants yellow and burn them.

10. If your tap water is that low in ppm you definitely need to be generous with the CalMag as well. Follow the instructions on the bottom and use it through your entire grow. It will only help.

Yea I'm beginning to think things will look better now that i've shaken the nutes. Some of the heavier elements were likely sitting at the bottom, ie Fe, K, Ca, Mg.

I'll keep this updated within the next day or two, Thanks Hydro pro, and thanks to the others that have given me advice, <3 u guys!

12. No prob Hot Box. Let me know if you need anything else and check out my grow journal labeled "Sensi Seeds Super Skunk Coco Grow". It will show you some good tips with pictures and teach you some cool things. Its also a whole room grow so if you ever decide to expand it will set a good blueprint for you. Good luck! :)

13. My grow journal address is in the signature below if you want to check it out

Check out my grow journal at: Http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1187623-sensi-seeds-super-skunk-coco-grow.html?hl=sensi+seeds+super+skunk

14. yeah always shake nutes.

and 30 ppm?? what city do you live in i'm moving there!

15. Here's a quick pictoral update. They took off after I started shaking the nutes, (hah) and I topped all of the plants about 5 days ago.

Bellingham, WA. Its even lower in Seattle! Thankyou mountain snow pack!

Attached Files:

16. very nice haha glad to hear everything's going well now. Man back in Cali my water was running at almost 700 ppm it was ridiculous so I had to go to my local water dispense place to fill up my 5 gal bottles. I have yet to test the water here in Germany but it tastes pretty clean.

17. Looks like typical cal/mag problem in coco to me. Hope everything is sorted now. Up those ppms they can take more than 120 at this stage.

18. You state big bloom in your Jutes but it's obviously way too early to hit them with anything of the sort. Your ppm is low though so it shouldn't be a burn unless you are in fact hitting them with a bloom in veg. How far are the lights from the top of your plants? More pictures would help.

19. [quote name="CaliNorthCoast" post="19113429" timestamp="1386356098"]You state big bloom in your Jutes but it's obviously way too early to hit them with anything of the sort. Your ppm is low though so it shouldn't be a burn unless you are in fact hitting them with a bloom in veg. How far are the lights from the top of your plants? More pictures would help.[/quote]Big Bloom can be used on seedlings...it's very low strength. Are you thinking of tiger bloom?

20. I actually don't know anything about big bloom I just figured it was a flowering nutrient. My mistake.