Built A God Damn Oven

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ismellchicken, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Hey everyone. So this is my first grow, did lots of reading, now i'm ready to grow. I built this cab which is 2' x 1.5' x 3'. i'm runnin 4x 42 watt cfl's. for air movement i have a stationary 6'' desk fan. to exhaust the hot air, i have a 3'' PC fan near the top and a passive intake near the bottom. the cab sits in my closet. so today i wanted to test the temperatures to make sure i don't cook my babies. before the lights were on, it was about 23 degrees celcius. i turned the lights on for about a half hour with the fans and the temp shot up to 35! it got up to 40 until i turned the heat in my room down to like 15. i put the thermometre on top of my light fixture instead of under it, and the temp went down 5 degrees. so it's only 35+ under the lights, but everywhere else in the cab is like 27-30. i understand this is pretty hot for weed but i dunno what to do to bring the temp down.... is it because i don't have an oscillating fan? should i cut a hole in the middle of my fixture and run the ducting from the exhaust fan right to the light? i also have my closet door closed but there's lots of cracks for air to come through. sorry for this long ass post, i'm just kind of panicking cause i started to germ my seeds before i tested this out.... please, any suggestions are appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. DANG. and i thought i had high temps when it reached about 27-28C

ps you have the exact same hum/temp guage i do haha

only advicve would be...it NEEDS more circulation. there is no other way, you cant lower the amount of heat the lights give off,

or, til you can sort out more ventilation, only use 2 bulbs. im sure 2 bulbs, at 42w each..total of 84w will do for the beginning weeks.

3. Mate you have indeed built an oven but do not panic not all is lost ;)

First things first, remove all but one of your bulbs. In the seedling stage the baby girls require a minimal amount of light (measued in lumens).

As mumbo jumbo has pointed out circulation is of the utmost importance especially in such a confined space. My advice on that would be to put an input fan that can retreive air from as close to the ground (where its coolest) as possible and then add another fan for extraction at the top of the cabinet, where hot air collects.

I think you will find that with adequate circulation your setup will then drop into a more acceptable climate for growth.

Another idead would be to redirect cold air from your rooms vents (taking it your room has a/c) directly into your cabinet with flex. This method is not in the least way cost efficient as running a/c is not cheap.

Having a cabinet that is not air and light tight is problematic due not only to letting everyone know what you are doing but it also means that you are not maintaining much control over the conditions indside.

Probably the most important thing to keep in mind is that your cabinet will only ever be as cool as the ambient temperature in the room (if you are providing no additional sources for cool air) so it would be pay to try and keep your room temp as low as possible by whatever means. AC when you can, drawn heat repelling curtains do wonders and even body heat is worthwhile considering. Go blaze in another room but run some hose from that room to your box so you can blow your smoke back onto one of its own kind, enriched with Co2 haha. thats totally optional but a really loving gesture towards your girls and they may just appreciate it and yield for you thusly.

One final tip is to let your girls sleep in the hottest part of the day so the lights are off during that period of peak heat.

Thats about all I can think of quickly.

Godspweed

4. You are using one PC fan to try to exhaust the equivalent volume of about 20 PC cases, that's your problem. You need a real fan on your exhaust.

5. If you want to stay with 12V google "Audio cooling fan". I am easily cooling a similar setup using air ducted from a 20c room and pulling air with just one of these fans.

6. there ya go.

:wave:

7. Buy a new exhaust fan and check the CFM rating.

CFM rating tells you how much cubic feet the fan can move in... what is it, 5 min or something?

Easy fix.

8. i see... what if i popped in two more pc fans? i've got 9 cubic feet of space.

and is there any rules or guidlines as to how big a passive intake should be compared to the exhaust?

should i throw a fan on the intake or is it even necessary?

how do u hook up multiple pc fans? can i tie them all to the same 12V DC adapter? or do i need a CPU power supply?

sorry for all the questions

9. as u can see by the pic up top, i do need to seal the doors somehow so i can completely control the climate inside.

10. You can try hooking up more PC fans, but I am skeptical that will work. Having several weak fans does not add up to one strong fan. You are better having one strong fan on the exhaust and just a passive intake than a weak exhaust fan and a weak intake fan.

Rule of thumb for size of exhaust vs. intake actually diverges, depending on what is more important to you. Ideally, the intake should be at least twice the area of the exhaust. Note that you need to work everything off of Pi times r squared to figure what is double or half (in other words, a 3" diameter hole is not half the area of a 6" diameter hole, in fact it's only one quarter the size). By having at least twice the area available for intake you are extending your fan's life, because you are providing all the air it can possibly pull. However, this will not create negative pressure inside your grow space, which could lead to odors leaking out. If you have smaller intake than exhaust then the exhaust fan may not be able to pull all the air it is capable of from the intake, which causes negative pressure inside the cab and prevents air from leaking out any tiny cracks and crevices (it can't leak out because the negative pressure is pulling air in through those cracks). This will burn our your fan quicker in the long run but help with odor control.

11. Depends on the fan. Here's a nice little fan from newegg that'll destroy your average PC fan. Most of those move around 15-30 cfm, the one in that link is rated fro 68. It's louder than most PC fans as well but it'll really move a lot more air.

There are a few stronger fans in there as well, there's even one rated for 119 but I'll bet it sounds like a jetliner. I also try to stick to 92mm fans, they fit almost perfectly up against a 4" hole, which makes efficient use of standard 4" ducting.

12. ok so if the intake should be twice the size as the exhaust, that means if i had an exhaust hole with a 3 inch diametre, 3x 2 inch intake holes would be double the surface area???

13. Yes, a pair of 3" would be double a single 3", and also a single round hole with about a 4.25" diameter. But if you're having heat issues I wonder if 3" exhaust is enough...

14. ya, i can't get a decent fan right now. i went to home depot, but they don't sell any of those duct boosters. i took out 2 bulbs and my temp is floating around 27-30 degrees. 2 babies just broke the soil of their peat pellets 2 days ago and seem to be doing ok. but i want to pop in 2 more of those 42 watters so i get some decent bud. oh well... thanks for the tips guys, i hope i don't have to redo my cab