Building a Vaporizer need advice

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by Dfac364, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Hey so Ive been working on this vaporizer for awhile now and im finally almost done with actually building it which is awesome but Ive hit a problem, The way it works is like a volcano vaporizer in that it has a heating chamber which vents into a bag. The chamber is primarily a mason jar with the bottom cut off, the lid of the jar has small piece of brass pipe with threads on the topside so i can screw my bag assembly into it.

My problem is that when i put the pipe through the lid it obviously didn't leave a perfect seal so i covered it with solder which i later found out has lead in it so i covered that with silicone caulk which i just found out is also toxic even after curing. Im at a loss at what i can use everything seems so toxic and i will be heating the sealant up to 240*c and smoking it and i don't want to die or get sterilized lol so it seems important, please help if you can.

2. What the fucking are you doing man?
    You got solder and caulk and are asking strangers on a stoner forum about health risks?

Whats being accomplished? The new healthy way to smoke?
    You don't know what your doing. Get an engineering degree and study food safe manufacturing techniques.... Or do like the rest of us and toss like $130 at someone else to do that.
    What exactly are you gaining making a vaporizer with a bunch of components you don't understand? Is it really worth it?

3. Take it apart and make a new one with a sealant that isn't toxic? I honestly don't know why you wouldn't have thought those choices out a bit more, could've saved you the hassle.

4. damn fucking harsh lol, I know what im doing as far as the thermal physics which is why im doing this its like a challenge besides im getting the quality of a $300 vape for less than a hundred. Thats what im asking what would a non toxic sealant be? I dont need to take it apart i can just cover the solder with it

I didnt think of it because its a relatively small part of the design

5. Wouldn't it be a better idea to make it from completely non toxic materials just to be safe? Just spitballing here

6. #6 Dfac364, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2013
    well yeah in a way but the risk isnt very significant, the covering sealant would have to melt and deteriorate without me noticing and even than i would have to be smoking the lead for awhile for any real damage to be done. It just makes more sense to me to cover it with a thick layer of something safe that has a high melting point

Actually i figured it out jb-weld is a perfect fit i dont know how to delete a thread so im just posting this

7. Da Buddah and the EQ are like $140... Doesn't take $300

Harsh, maybe but you know its true...

Seriously wanna heat up and inhale JB weld? How can you claim you know what your doing with the choices you have shown so far. You realize that the MSDS for JB weld indicates oral toxicity?
    This is only ONE area where you have already picked toxic components multiple times. Who knows what other ones...

I know where your coming from wanting to build stuff. Build other things, don't heat up random chemicals you don't understand and inhale it... Thats bad. Its $140 and you will have something made to medical standards by people who study these materials for a living.

8. Don't build a vape if you want to vape buy one that isn't sketchy. A vape is not something u skimp out on. If u don't have enough for a vape buy a bong/pipe