building a cab, need advice

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by truepothead2000, Aug 21, 2009.

1. hey everyone im building a grow cab that is 2" wide x 1" deep x 5" high. i have run into some problems and hope you guys can help me

1. what type of filter material can i use or make to cover my passive intake holes? i want to use a material that will not restrict too much airflow, but still filter out dust and keep bugs out.

2. I have been trying to make a reflector for my lights but have had no success. i am using a power strip and plugging CFL's into Y-splitters. any Ideas?

3. i am still having trouble making the cabinet airproof and lightproof. for right now i am just using weatherstripping, but am very unhappy with it, i am not even using the cabinet and the weatherstipping is already cracking and falling off. i have researched photography dark rooms but havent really come across any usable info. ur thoughts?

4. i am using a 120mm 80cfm pc fan to move air from the lower chamber (flowering) to the upper (vegging) chamber. i need some type of material to cover the fan that will again not restrict airflow but will block all light out.

i know i am asking alot of questions but this is my first grow and cab attempt and i have been doing my homework but just cant get past these. any input is greatly appriciated, thanks for reading!!!!!!

2. #2 SupraSPL, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2009
    Maybe try an air conditioner foam filter from Walmart. I think the are only $1 and pretty thin so air flow should be half decent.

To make a reflector you could use sheet metal from LOWES. It's in the area with the ducting. There is a big flat one that is designed to be rolled into a tube, its probably 2'X2' or so for $5. If you have a pair of tin snips/shears you can cut out a square shape, then round out the edges. Bend it into a smooth curving shape and mount it to the CFL base with wire (hang the CFLs horizontal). If you cannot get a smooth bend, just sand it down a bit and spray it with high heat flat white spray paint. Be careful when handling the CFLs. Don't put any pressure or hard parts on the glass part. If it breaks, the mercury can escape and generally speaking that is NOT good for you.

Example of homemade reflectors. Note the bulb socket hanging from the chain. That style might work better for you than the Y splitters so you can position the bulbs closer?
    [​IMG]

Others have said you can use a beer can to make a CFL reflector. I havent tried that but would be nice if it worked.

Maybe black duct tape to help make it airtight/lightproof?

Can you make a light trap for the exhaust? A tube with flat black sprayed inside or a PVC pipe elbow maybe.

3. wow, appriciate the advice, gonna work that is over the weekend. btw, is that a hps light?i am still considering using a hps light but i am worried about the heat it will generate because i have a relativaly small cabinet, should i consider using a lower wattage hps or just stick with CFLs for now? thanks again

dan