Bugs and the great Outdoors

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Patricia Clemons, Apr 7, 2019.

1. #1 Patricia Clemons, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Good spring.

I’m going to be starting my first outdoor adventure, many vegetables, couple pot plants too in the garden!

May use composted cow poop, bone meal, potash, dolomite lime.

I have some mint seeds and nasturiums, marigolds and such... I was wondering if i planted these on the perimeter of the garden.. or in the yard.. would the actually attract more insects to all the crops, or keep the insects distracted from the prize.

Thanks for reading! Cant wait to start the journal

Ill get some sweetcorn hopefully thatll be a nice extra wall.

What works best for tomatos? Cages or stakes? I heard that they outgrow the cages, do stakes hold them up tho when they fruit gets large?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  2. #2 LoneGardener, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    edit

• Like Like x 1
  3. #3 LoneGardener, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    good luck!

4. Powdery Mildew = Green Cure
    Caterpillars = BT. Bacillus Thuringiensis

upload_2019-4-6_20-42-10.jpeg

upload_2019-4-6_20-42-38.jpeg

Cannabis is susceptible to both.
    Once a week every week.
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  5. okay thanks!

What about in flower? Is it okay to hit buds?

Deciding on.. do i want to begin a couple indoors on 18/6 and flower right away outside at 15/9.. then veg some more inside and let those finish veg outside and flower in aug, or just start them indoors in may or june and have them all go at once.

6. Yes.
    Flowering is the most critical time as the moths keep laying new eggs all summer long. Since BT only acts in the caterpillars gut it needs to be reapplied every week so some fresh BT gets eaten. It's also destroyed by sunlight so it's only effective for a short window. I spray from set out to the week of harvest once a week every week.

Time matching is one of the harder to things to get right when starting early and setting out on June 1st.
    15-9 or 16-8 seem to work best at that and start new seeds on it. Don't try and change plants that were started on a longer day schedule. It'll just cause them to flower.

BNW

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. okay great thanks! I just wasnt sure about spraying on the buds.. Then again.. on indoor grows people say dont mist your plant, well outside it rains!

I plan on buying the poop and few other ingrediants this week, hope to get the garden set up and be ready to plant in a month! Night temps need to rise.

• Like Like x 2
  8. I just dont understand... Everyday my weather app says low of 30’s chance of rain.. its rained once in two weeks and is 60F right now at midnight.. perhaps ill get a start on this outdoor fun sooner than later! :)

9. As a Miracle-Gro fanboy I don't have too much issues with bugs, other than the lowlife rollie pollies. Diatomaceous Earth is your best friend if you grow any plant outdoors.

10. this what at the store today [​IMG][​IMG] Didnt buy

May amazon the two brassnwood mentioned

DE interesting...!!

11. My first grow, indoors. Is coming to an end, with no place to dry and making the mistake of planting two different strains that are weeks apart in their flower time..

My question is, with the 4 leftover seeds (two of each strain) Should i just plop them seeds outdoors..?
    I have some photo seeds that i was planning on doing outdoors but now it seems like i should maybe use those for a winter grow, and harvest indoors at the same time as they are the same strain, then I could dry in the tent..!

Hmfph?

12. I’m using green cure, bt, neem.

The question is, are these to be applied directly on the flowering bud or on the leaves?
    I’m thinking about buying a sprayer i can fill, saves time hand squirting each plant lol.

couple strange leaf hoppy looking things, not as bad as they were, white fly things pretty much gone.

Beetles are coming out,

caterpillars slowed down on the brussel sprouts.

Still waking up to chewed leaves.

It has gotten much better

13. Green Cure and BT on all parts of the plants. Leaves and flowers-buds. The Caterpillers like to infest the newly forming buds so pay close attention to them and don't miss a single week of treatment. Neem should be less needed as we get into flower come August. Some say it imparts a weird taste.
    BNW

14. Another weapon that you can use in your IPM toolkit is a bug zapper. These attract and kill the moths that lay the eggs which eventually become the caterpillars that cause the damage.

15. The ants have invaded long enough! The store bought powder didnt rid them.

Would it be safe to dump boiling water (cinnamon garlic infused) down the ant hill even tho its near the base of my golden zuchinni?

Wouldn’t want to fry my rootplant!?

16. What is wrong with ants?

17. No boiling water will kill the roots

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. they are starting to overcome my plant lol. good for pollination and Some aeration in moderate numbers.

they also secret honeydew.

I’m spraying with neem tonight, i’ll dump leftover down hill see about that.