buds smell and taste of hay - first grow/harvest

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by iGrow420710, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Harvested last week friday. Been about 6 days. Now in jars. buds turned crisy but stems dont snap put into jar but cut up buds with the stem/stalk attached into jars and burping every 6-8hours.

Buds hardly smell dank.. smell like hay and taste is very bland hay like..

What do i do? i have ordered humidipacks

2. Happens to alot of first harvests unless you have a pro standing right by ur side the whole project!!

Im not sure y but im interested in the answer too. Im about to harvest my second plant in about a week or so.. she smells like blue berries its an auto and smells amazing bro the whole house smells like fresh baked muffins.. first harvest wasnt so dank but tasted like lemons/lemony the wife said..

Ppl should start rolling in soon to drop some light on this matter

3. If you trimmed wet, you can get the smell back through cure, if you didn’t dry her out too much. Do the buds get moist again after a couple days in jar?

Next time try hanging the plant whole, pulling the large fans and trimming when dry. They keep the smell that way and all your trim will be quality

• Like Like x 1
  4. #4 iGrow420710, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    first day or 2 was 24C with 60-70RH
    then 19-21C with 50-60 RH (next day or 2)
    then cripsy and put into jars..
    fan was blowing on the side of the tent under buds
    when touching buds they were seriously crispy dry
    i did wet trimming which was such a pain
    unfortunately not measuring RH in jar
    buds get moist (spongey wet like) every few hours so i am taking it all out for a few hours and putting back in..

5. They've only been in the jars a few days?
    Of course its gonna taste like hay.
    That's why you cure it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. could be the strain

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. I give it 45 days in jars starts out smelling like shit after 6 weeks it smells dank n ur afraid to open it cus it’ll stink up ur whole place

• Like Like x 2
  8. You’ll be fine then. If it remoistens after being jarred, that’s what you want. It’s pulling excess chlorophyll and moisture from the center. After a month or so, the smell should get better.

• Like Like x 1
  9. This is a bit much.
    Ideal conditions are dry for 7 days at 70F, 70% RH.
    I dont have those options. I live in a desert. RH is usually around 15% and temperatures can range from 45°F to 90°F.
    I just cut it off the plant, trim it, hang to dry. Its dry when the smaller stems snap when you bend them.
    Drying can take anywhere from 3 to 10 days.
    After its dry it goes into jars.
    Burp for a week or 2.
    Sealed up for another 3 or 4 weeks.
    Now smoke your pot.

• Like Like x 1
  10. humidipak 62% not really helping buds smell like shit taste like shit and dont even get you high till 30 mins later and that too hardly...

what do i do =/

11. Harvested too early if they won’t get you high. Got any pics of the buds?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. was harvested a week after these pics... got an odd seed here and there.. thc bomb 7-9week strain.. harvested bang on 9 weeks from switch.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1

13. Not much you can do with this batch.
    Next harvest slow the dry stage way down. I get it off the branches when the smallest nuggets firm up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like MrFooey I have high heat and low humidity.

[​IMG]

I stack the bags in a closed container overnight and diminish the time the bags are out for the day as the days pass. At the end of a week the container reads in the mid 60s humidity and it is ready to jar and won't need burped at all.

This stopped all the blown dry and cures that left me with hay smelling harvest after harvest.

BNW

• Like Like x 1